• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • atrizu

Hypnotoad
    Jan 1, 2011
    PG
    What if I had a non-HBAR AR-15 I built pre-OCT2013. It's still legal?
    What if I had all the parts of a non-HBAR AR-15 pre-OCT2013, and then put them together post-OCT2013? Or had them together, but took them apart and put them back together post-OCT2013?

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    If the lower was bought before 10/1/13, do whatever you want with it, so long as you keep it a rifle.

Robert1955

Ultimate Member
    Dec 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    Any lower you owned PRIOR to 10/13 you can build into any configuration that was legal prior to 10/13. Post 10/13 requires a Heavy Barrel.

atrizu

Hypnotoad
    Jan 1, 2011
    PG
    Great, thanks! Is there any precedent for having to prove ownership? I suppose a registered lower would be in a database somewhere.

Great, thanks! Is there any precedent for having to prove ownership? I suppose a registered lower would be in a database somewhere.

burden of proof always lies with the state...hence why you are innocent until proven guilty..all the same, it wouldn't hurt to have a bill of sale just in case...this is "The People's Republic of Maryland" after all...I wouldn't count on them having any record of the purchase...even though they should

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    burden of proof always lies with the state...hence why you are innocent until proven guilty..all the same, it wouldn't hurt to have a bill of sale just in case...this is "The People's Republic of Maryland" after all...I wouldn't count on them having any record of the purchase...even though they should

True, but the burden of paying the defense attorney to keep the State honest in court still falls on the defendant, as does the time off of work to deal with the case. It's a very asymmetric fight, with nothing of the State's held at risk by charging you, putting you at risk of severe financial loss as well as potential loss of freedoms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom