• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mstraus

Jul 23, 2009
    Frederick MD
    Picked up a Case Trimmer and trimmed 250 luger cases down to Makorov. Color coded the base of the cases to prevent mixing.

Just waiting on box BERRY 9x18 MAKAROV (.364) 95gr RN Bullets and dies that are on order. Projecting about 50% savings or more after recovering cost of dies, bullets, primers and powder. Plan on a Win231 load.

Best local cost I could find for complete factory rounds was $13-16 a box of 50. I am looking for $5-6 for my reloads.

Last edited:

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    I suggest you order the correct diameter bullets. 9x18 ultra uses .355 bullets.
    9x18 Makorov uses .363 diameter bullets. I hope you are nowhere near me when you
    are shooting these. You are playing with fire.

mstraus

Jul 23, 2009
    Frederick MD
    Finally got to the range today to test the trimmed luger rounds. Worked like a charm. Went bang and did some nice groups Will Begin the mass production now.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I don't know how many of those cases you trimmed, but it sure gets to be tedious after the first two or three hundred, doesn't it? I'm still trying to find time to try out the new 3-jaw case holder that I bought.

Cheers!

mstraus

Jul 23, 2009
    Frederick MD
    Your right there. I have a hand lathe. the motorized ones are to much $$. Waiting for an auction score or build a drill unit over the winter. Just being cheap. I have hundreds and hundreds of luger to use.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    mstraus - you ought to pick yourself up a Lee bullet casting mold for the 9mm Makarov!

90466.JPG

You could be in Mak heaven with all the rounds you can churn out for super cheap! Beats having to keep buying bullets!

http://leeprecision.com/mold-dc-365-95-1r.html

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    Finally got to the range today to test the trimmed luger rounds. Worked like a charm. Went bang and did some nice groups Will Begin the mass production now.

What are you using to color code the cases? I tried permanent marker, but it seems to go away almost immediately. I HATE having a shorty get in there with my standard sized Luger cases.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    I use finger nail polish to color code my cases.

I use 3.4 grains of unique and a 93 grain lead bullet

Soon to case my one bullets (just have to find the time)

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    I use finger nail polish to color code my cases.

I use 3.4 grains of unique and a 93 grain lead bullet

Soon to case my one bullets (just have to find the time)

Is the point that the nail polish goes down into the headstamps? If so, do you wipe the excess off the flat face of the head?

I only shoot on my own (primitive, in the back yard) range, so I have more problems with brass getting lost in the leaves and undergrowth than with them getting mixed up with someone else's brass. (I've got an idea for setting up one of those pop-up shelters with a tarp clipped to the right side as a wall, so that the brass stays where I can recover it more easily.)

Also, there are different kinds of magic markers. The large, permanent, markers do a pretty good job for me--at least to keep them separated until I get a batch into the tumbler. A really good metal marking die would be nice to find ... especially if it's in green or orange or something like that.

mstraus

Jul 23, 2009
    Frederick MD
    I use an orange sharpie. to mark the cases. Funny thing is when i went to the range this past weekend with my p-64 the cases ended up in another state and only a few made it back to the bench. LOL. Nice thing is they were all reloads from luger cases. I would have been pissed if i could not find the starline brass i loaded. And yes folks I will take some shots this weekend of my handi work

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    What's been posted is all interesting stuff. This thread is a few months old but a topic well worth revisiting.

Casting .365's for 9x18 is easy enough. The boolits work well in trimmed 9x19 cases. Trimming 9x19 cases to use isn't difficult either. Berry's plated bullets work very well in the reloads too.

The solution to "finding" all the spent cases became clear to me when we Hooligans began shooting together: "Hey guys, if you want to shoot this pistol, let's watch where all the cases fall so we can pick 'em up and do it again." When you're with good friends, crawling around on all 4's to find that "last" case becomes a quest -> see pic below. :innocent0

Don't go shooting CB's in CZ-82's tho. There's much info out there to read about how lead and polygonal barrel rifling don't go well together.

If Warpspasm thinks he has a problem with his CZ-82 tossing brass, all I can suggest is he get a CZ-52, trim some 223 cases, load them up for a '52 and see if he can find all those cases when the mag is empty. I truly believe some of my cases have made it all the way to WV. :lol2:

Reloading is a great hobby. Making ammo work using modified components is OK. Just make damn sure you have the equipment and experience it takes and know exactly what you're doing.

Attachments

• DSC07484.jpg
      DSC07484.jpg
      65.6 KB · Views: 98
    Last edited:

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Don't go shooting CB's in CZ-82's tho. There's much info out there to read about how lead and polygonal barrel rifling don't go well together.

I think you know, by now, that I respect your knowledge and opinions, but I've also read the same stuff about not shooting CBs in polygonal barrels. The chorus of wisdom seems to be that it's a bad idea, but I've yet to see any real data on CBs and CZ-82s. Most of what I've seen seems to have come from Glock saying not to shoot CBs in their guns.

I've probably put about 800 rounds of CBs through my CZ-82. They were all liberally treated with Lee liquid alox blend, and the powder charges have been rather conservative, so as to keep the velocity down. I check all of my barrels carefully, both before and after cleaning, and my CZ-82 hasn't shown any signs of leading at all.

I just use my own loads in this gun for plinking and punching holes in paper in a manner that precise accuracy isn't a big deal ... but the loads are still pretty accurate. I'm not advocating that anyone follow my example, nor am I giving advice. I'm just saying what seems to be working for me. Your own mileage, as they say, may vary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom