• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Yea, the problem is it just might not be illegal.

Yeah, but is it ethical?

I thought lawyers were somewhat constrained by ethical considerations.

Deep Lurker

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 22, 2019
    The best explanation I read about the potential illegality of Frosh’s acts is taken from the Government Accountability & Oversight law firm article describing the GAO open records request lawsuit to obtain Frosh’s and the Bloomberg/NYU’s records and emails about their scam.

The GAO article cites a Maryland court ruling legally defining “pro bono” services, and contrasts that ruling with the Frosh’s intentionally deceptive language in his letter signing off on the false “pro bono” appointment of a Bloomberg lawyer to the MD OAG, which appears to violate that ruling.

FTA: As GAO details in its complaint, Frosh actually set the attorney’s six-figure salary before then appointing him a “pro bono” lawyer.

This is problematic: as affirmed in 2015 in State vs. Westray, under Maryland law “’Pro bono,’ of course, means that not only does the client not need to pay, but also the attorney represents the client without compensation.”

GAO has subsequently learned that Frosh first appointed the lawyer on January 3, 2018, but without citing to any authority under Maryland law, which apparently does not exist. Then in another letter dated two weeks later — though apparently back-dated, as it was emailed to the lawyer over two months later — Frosh then appointed him citing to the inapplicable “pro bono” provision.

Maryland OAG’s defiance represents a landmark refusal to provide a document that, while surely politically embarrassing and possibly offering legal or ethical peril, is not privileged.

That makes Frosh’s Office the only attorney general’s office to claim, brazenly, that whatever it promised to Bloomberg’s group, it is properly hidden from the public’s view.

https://govoversight.org/index.php/...to-hide-plea-for-bloomberg-money-from-public/

Attachments

• 3FA7C559-CBAD-4B0D-AC46-8A0F4CA1120F.jpg
      3FA7C559-CBAD-4B0D-AC46-8A0F4CA1120F.jpg
      45.6 KB · Views: 661

MigraineMan

Ultimate Member
    Jun 9, 2011
    Frederick County
    Interesting. Had to look up 6-105(f):
    Title 6. Attorney General
    -Subtitle 1. Definitions;  General Provisions
    -§ 6-105 - Staff
    (f) In addition to any other staff appointed under this section, the Attorney General may employ any assistant counsel that the Attorney General considers necessary to a carry out any duty of the Office if the employment of the assistant counsel:

(1) is on a pro bono basis;

(2) will not result in more than minimal cost to the State;  and

(3) will not result in the payment to the assistant counsel of any portion of the State's recovery in any case or matter.

Would appear that an "assistant counsel" is a distinct entity from a "staff appointment." Legislators wouldn't have mentioned them separately unless there was a reason to, right? And it says "employ," not "appoint." Sorta suggests that "assistant counsels" are not expected to be appointed to staff positions ... otherwise they would be "staff appointments."

** I did not stay at a Holiday Inn last night; only on my second cup of coffee this morning.

jrh0341

Jul 20, 2017
    Brian Frosh gun policy --> Brian Frosh campaign backed by Bloomberg.

Florida commissioner of agriculture race, Freid backed by Bloomberg. Now what the hell does some rich NYer care about the commish of ag race in FL? Oh yeah, because that's who controls CCW down there and Freid promises to clamp down on the process

And of course MDA...

So, yeah, I've been saying for almost a year now that its obvious as hell, Bloombergs plan since he has failed to push the legislation he wants, is to go around at the municipal level, and buy local administrators who will execute in a direction that backs his bidding.

Can't the the law he wants? Fine. He'll just buy the sheriff.

Soda

Dec 14, 2010
    Virginia cannot even get rid of a racist Governor and a rapist Lt. Governor! Nothing will happen to Frosh. He will be the next Governor of Maryland. We are doomed.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I have a feeling Frosh will just say whoops, give the money back and continue with his agenda. This sanctuary state may just vote him into a higher office. Good research OP!

This story ought to be huge, but is clearly dropping into a media black hole. Do we know anybody who could get this in front of interested people in the media?

Finally made the decision to leave Maryland. Have to sell my house first and that may take a while, but it is Maryland politics that drove this decision - nothing else.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    This story ought to be huge, but is clearly dropping into a media black hole. Do we know anybody who could get this in front of interested people in the media?

Finally made the decision to leave Maryland. Have to sell my house first and that may take a while, but it is Maryland politics that drove this decision - nothing else.

You do realize that Bloomberg owns vast media holdings. Coincidence? :lol2:

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    To hell with the MDGA, this sounds to me like a Federal RICO beef. Anybody have Bill Barr's email?

Yes, this is where this needs to go. Maryland will never do anything about this. Not to mention it's a federal thing now, way beyond any Maryland purview.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Yes, this is where this needs to go. Maryland will never do anything about this. Not to mention it's a federal thing now, way beyond any Maryland purview.

Maybe Judicial Watch would be interested. They have a thing for back channel email shenanigans.

While they also enjoy investigating Soros's attempts to buy a brave new world, Bloomberg doesn't seem to be on their radar at this time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom