• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I'll likely get one. I think it's neat and unique enough that it fits with the main C&R theme of my collection for down the road. The fact it's a straight-pull for hunting that will be in a caliber that is easy to find means I'll probably shoot it a good amount too.

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    Take a look at the Heym SR30: Straight Pull Ball-Bearing Lock as shown on Forgotten Weapons by Ian Mccollum
    Looks similar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-44H321Bsg&ab_channel=ForgottenWeapons

Not having looked at the new Savage, it appears the new Savage Impulse has some sort of 'camming' action at the start and end of the straight pull stroke that MIGHT (not sure) help pull a tight fired case out of the chamber. (It appears at the start and stop of the pull-push stroke, e.g. the handle rotates just slightly forward or backward depending on locking or unlocking that is occurring.

A test of the Heym SR30 N was conducted using a .30-06 with a 10,000 bar peak gas pressure (the 10700 bar they talk of converts to just over 155000 PSI ( https://www.norhunt.no/blog/heym-sr30-trykktest ))and the system did NOT fail catastrophically (the bolt stayed closed). Designer was one Peter Fortner.

Think Anschütz 1827 Fortner used in Biathelon rifles.

Last edited:

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Looks like the bolt handle rotates slightly to lock and unlock the action as it cycles.

Take a look at the Heym SR30: Straight Pull Ball-Bearing Lock as shown on Forgotten Weapons by Ian Mccollum
    Looks similar.

it appears the new Savage Impulse has some sort of 'camming' action at the start and end of the straight pull stroke that MIGHT (not sure) help pull a tight fired case out of the chamber. (It appears at the start and stop of the pull-push stroke, e.g. the handle rotates just slightly forward or backward depending on locking or unlocking that is occurring.

The footage definitely shows the bolt handle moving. I guarantee there is some sort of cam lock failsafe and a mechanism to assist in case extraction related to that. If you look at the top of the rear of the bolt body, there's a piece that appears to possibly impinge upon the action of the rifle giving the user an assist in opening the breach in the event of a hard-to-extract case. I would also venture that if it doesn't return to the correct position, resetting the cam, that the gun will fail to fire to prevent out-of-battery incidents.

Just what it looks like to me.

chujohn

Dec 2, 2019
    Northern Virginia
    Most likely they felt this could expand their market, especially in countries where centerfire semi-autos are illegal. I have watched some YouTube channels from England review these types of action, but their prices are astronomical!

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    If they made the Predator model in .223 with a short action and a 16" heavy barrel, I'd buy it!

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    My opinion is..... probably the greatest advantage for a bolt system like that is that once you have a shot off, the action can be worked without as much break to position as another round is placed into battery.
    Next to maintaining site picture and alignment, maintaining position is high on the list for providing accurate shot placement, or at the very least repeatability.

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Amongst the Deplorables, SC.
    I hope they sell enough to warrant selling actions by themselves, this would be pretty cool to build out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agreed! I also wish there were some bigger diameter projectile options! 30cal is a beautiful thing, but not all beauty is beholden to the spitzer design. I would like to see this in some brush calibers. My intended purpose would be for hogs down here in SC. My 45/70 will pop branches and still get a shot on to POA. This in a larger bore would be ideal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom