Leaving MD, need advice on selling guns and ammo.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    If you ever move back to MD, maintaining possession of the AR-15 enables you to keep it (under current laws), which is nice if it's in a now banned configuration. Keeping possession of the handgun already registered with the MD State Police also saves you a little hassle vs replacing it and bringing a different handgun to the state which would have to be registered anew.

If you think you could end up back in MD, don't sell the AR. It is literally not replaceable
    This. Think long term.

I've moved repeatedly in the last two decades, into and out of Maryland, and across the country. It's worth the effort to move the guns.

The only place where you/he might not be able to take them is Hawaii. California, you can modify with whatever the current iteration of the "Bullet Button" is.

lemmdus

Feb 24, 2015
    OP never responded in the 5 days since he posted. Moving 3 guns and ammo is insignificant and a question easily researched without pestering a gun forum for which he was never a really active member. I moved ALL my guns and ammo when I left MD with the intent never to return. Budget truck rental was the ticket for me. OP could fit his "arsenal" in a Smart car.

OP is probably a government troll looking for the loop holes that we know of so they can write legislation to close them. You do realize they troll this sight for information.

Ilexopaca

Mar 4, 2012
    First of all I'll take that shotgun and ammo for a fair price.

Secondly, regardless of the op's intent, this thread has been informative because I've often thought of selling some guns - if for any other reason because I don't get a chance to practice with some. But my instinct has always been that they are worth more to me than what I would get for them, and safer with me, especially the banned or regulated ones that are grandfathered in.

Lastly... my 2004-5 Mini Cooper S 6spd was the most shit-kicking sports car I ever owned. As long as you're not trying to get laid in it - and actually drive one to the limit you can't possibly know what I mean. I've owned a 68 Camaro 327 RS, a modified rocket of a 71 Chevy Monte Carlo, an Alpha spider, and a Porsche 914 but that Mini was like driving a chainsaw in the twisties, glued to the earth, and I would always quit at 130mph even though she had a lot of legs left in her. Literally death-defying shit. And just for the record, you could easily fit a lot of shit in its boot.

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    my 2004-5 Mini Cooper S 6spd was the most shit-kicking sports car I ever owned. As long as you're not trying to get laid in it - and actually drive one to the limit you can't possibly know what I mean. I've owned a 68 Camaro 327 RS, a modified rocket of a 71 Chevy Monte Carlo, an Alpha spider, and a Porsche 914 but that Mini was like driving a chainsaw in the twisties, glued to the earth, and I would always quit at 130mph even though she had a lot of legs left in her. Literally death-defying shit. And just for the record, you could easily fit a lot of shit in its boot.
    I've always imagined they were like driving a street-legal go-kart. Never had one though.

BillW

Dec 20, 2017
    One alternative might be to ship them to a license dealer in your new location. You can pick them up but you must comply with any local laws an Maryland until you change residency. I recently had a rifle on consignment in Virginia and decided to keep it. I could not just go pick it up because the Virginia dealer must comply with Maryland law. I had the rifle shipped to a local dealer and picked up there. Only issue was that my rifle is a 308 and Maryland requires a HQL which I have. Just cost me shipping charges.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    One alternative might be to ship them to a license dealer in your new location. You can pick them up but you must comply with any local laws an Maryland until you change residency. I recently had a rifle on consignment in Virginia and decided to keep it. I could not just go pick it up because the Virginia dealer must comply with Maryland law. I had the rifle shipped to a local dealer and picked up there. Only issue was that my rifle is a 308 and Maryland requires a HQL which I have. Just cost me shipping charges.

You can buy a rifle, from an FFL, in any state as long is the rifle is legal in both states. Your HQL has no bearing on rifles at all.

cornstalk

Mar 13, 2013
    I'm planning on moving out of Maryland before the end of 2020, and would like to sell my guns and ammo rather than transporting them across the country....
    If you're just not wanting to travel with firearms another option, depending on where you are moving to, is you can mail the long guns to yourself by USPS, or to another address if you address it to your name and c/o whomever is at the address where you are sending them.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I recently had a rifle on consignment in Virginia and decided to keep it. I could not just go pick it up because the Virginia dealer must comply with Maryland law. I had the rifle shipped to a local dealer and picked up there. Only issue was that my rifle is a 308 and Maryland requires a HQL which I have. Just cost me shipping charges.

WTF???

If it is a rifle, and not banned in MD, a VA FFL can transfer it to you. If it is banned in MD, then an MD FFL cannot transfer to you.

What does having an HQL have to do with a long gun?????

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    WTF???

If it is a rifle, and not banned in MD, a VA FFL can transfer it to you. If it is banned in MD, then an MD FFL cannot transfer to you.

What does having an HQL have to do with a long gun?????

Ask that question in October 2020.....

kaliroger

Jul 20, 2018
    Frederick County, MD
    I was told by an FFL that it is legal to ship guns to yourself over state lines, I would double check that but you may be better off shipping it to yourself and insuring it for the proper value. Not sure about the ammo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom