• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SonOfAHut

Sep 16, 2013
    Thanks, I appreciate the responses. I don't work in MD, but I do have a second home/rental property there and also family. It's certainly a bit annoying to keep leaving my firearm at home whenever go to MD.
    I left MD because of the lunacy going on and ridiculously high taxes, but I can't seem to escape its complete grasp.

I'm considering giving this a shot, perhaps using a reasoning of "clearance+ties to family+rental property=I need to protect myself while in the state", but on the flip side I'm also willing to wait it out to see if SCOTUS decides to take up the case that another thread is talking about regarding self-defense. Having to take 16-hours of training is also another hurdle that I'm not sure if I'm up for - again, considering just waiting to see what, if anything, happens with SCOTUS. That is, of course, assuming they grant cert AND MGA doesn't pass some hairbrain "repeal" to try to moot the case.

Naptown34

Super Genius !!
    MDS Supporter
    May 4, 2008
    Got my ducks in a row.

Do I get the electronic fingerprints done before I submit the app online?

Not 100% sure how it works, but sounds like I get a number from the fingerprint facility to append to my online app.

Does that sound right?

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    I would recommend that you start and complete the online form as much as possible and only get you fingerprints done when the rest of the application is complete. That way you can enter the receipt number and complete the submission.

You don't want to get stuck on some needed documentation while the fingerprint (5 day/30 day???) clock is ticking.

Naptown34

Super Genius !!
    MDS Supporter
    May 4, 2008
    I would recommend that you start and complete the online form as much as possible and only get you fingerprints done when the rest of the application is complete. That way you can enter the receipt number and complete the submission.

You don't want to get stuck on some needed documentation while the fingerprint (5 day/30 day???) clock is ticking.

Fingerprints is all I need.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    Fingerprints are good for 30 days.

I did my fingerprints for an HQL, and then within the 30 day window, used the same code to submit my W&C application without issue even though MSP has two different Livescan "addresses" to send the prints to.

You're given a receipt number by the LiveScan vendor that you type into the application form, correct.

I'm still without my physical card, called the Licensing Division today to ask and they said to call back when it had been 10 days because USPS takes a while to get cards to people (I bet anywhere in MD is next-day delivery from their office), not the 5-6 days the website says. :rolleyes: I really just wanted them to say the day they mailed it, because one day we came to our mailbox open and not even a single piece of junk mail waiting for us so I'm hoping some punks down the street do not have my card.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Congrats, Guys!!

With the "While employed by DoD" leads me to believe the LD still believes that the Men in Black are real, and they clear the memories of everyone who leaves the employment of DoD.

Hey, MSP LD, and I know your watching, there's a legitimate reason why we cleared personnel have a LIFETIME obligation to protect that information!!!

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sh00bs

Jul 15, 2016
    finally got my application assigned to an investigator ! 12/3 my application was accepted (it was submitted 11/22). on 1/10 i got an email saying it was finally assigned to an investigator ! i know the holidays pushed everything back... bleh

i'll continue to update as my progress (hopefully) pushes forward!

spitfire481

Mar 31, 2012
    Glen Burnie Md
    finally got my application assigned to an investigator ! 12/3 my application was accepted (it was submitted 11/22). on 1/10 i got an email saying it was finally assigned to an investigator ! i know the holidays pushed everything back... bleh

i'll continue to update as my progress (hopefully) pushes forward!

Guess things are a mess when mine has been accepted since 11/20, and another buddy was 11/18 and still nothing new :(

05dodgedaytona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2009
    Cecil County
    Would this work with someone that has a Secret Clearance and works for the DoD or would it be a waste of time? That letter that was posted earlier in the thread Secret was one of the clearance levels on it.

Sh00bs

Jul 15, 2016
    Would this work with someone that has a Secret Clearance and works for the DoD or would it be a waste of time? That letter that was posted earlier in the thread Secret was one of the clearance levels on it.

i'd go for it... if you can prove it and have regular access to your classified network. solid enough justification imo, extra points if the OPM russia hack effected you

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    Thread Necro Bump!

Anyone who's submitted recently, is the letter format from post 99 still what we should get our ISSO/CSSO/whoever to send in?

I'm putting a package together to see what I can do here...

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    Thread Necro Bump!

Anyone who's submitted recently, is the letter format from post 99 still what we should get our ISSO/CSSO/whoever to send in?

I would make sure it's on your agency letterhead as well. But yea pretty much clearance, confirmation of routine access, and POC.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Thread Necro Bump!

Good luck....don't know if things have changed in the last 18 months since I retired, but a certain three letter agency was pretty much a no go on these letters.

Sh00bs

Jul 15, 2016
    Good luck....don't know if things have changed in the last 18 months since I retired, but a certain three letter agency was pretty much a no go on these letters.

so that 3 letter agency has an agreement with MSP. i did it about 7 months ago and my interviewer was like yeah we have an agreement with them... just needed to prove you work there. DD214 but for the civ side. off the top of my head idr what it's called but i think i posted the form name up above ^^^^ a few posts back

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    so that 3 letter agency has an agreement with MSP. i did it about 7 months ago and my interviewer was like yeah we have an agreement with them... just needed to prove you work there. DD214 but for the civ side. off the top of my head idr what it's called but i think i posted the form name up above ^^^^ a few posts back

That's fantastic they've managed that!!!

Before I retired a year and a half ago, it was No, not only no, but HELL NO!!! Most of the upper levels of Security considered it a Serious Security issue. It's B.S. I know, but having worked directly with them, they were adamant no way.

I don't think it would be a DD 214, I think that's the military discharge form.

Ack Ack

Sep 4, 2013
    DC

My Security Manager was reluctant to be specific in the letter due to liability concerns. She wrote: "Mr. Ack Ack holds a Department of Defense Security Clearance. As a security clearance holder, he has demonstrated a history of honesty, discretion, reliability, sound judgment, strength of character, trustworthiness, and loyalty to the U.S."

I don't know if they called the SM and if they did, I don't know if the level of my clearance was discussed.

HotWheelsUMD

Feb 22, 2013
    Northern Balt Co, MD
    Anyone have the latest on what a three-letter agency Gov Civ needs (or can get) as verification satisfactory to MSP? Is it a VoE? Or that and an SF-50 from any recent personnel action? Whereas contractors have the option to convince an FSO to product exactly what MSP asks for - the path seems less clear for govvies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom