• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ARMatt

Apr 12, 2016
    NAS Pax River
    I went yesterday and actually had a great experience I was having issues zeroing my rifle and I stepped out to find someone who could help and I ended up figuring out the problem and then stayed talking to a gentlemen at the counter for the another 20 minutes. It was extremely odd that there was no rules or anything posted which is kind of scary considering anyone can just go and get a lane. Also there was no wait I got there around 4 in the afternoon.

Isaakb

Dec 15, 2015
    Northern Calvert County
    I recently stopped going to MSAR when I joined a Private range. I could not handle it anymore. There were always instructors taking too many students and safety issues were simply not seen. The instructor can't be everywhere. Add to that the fact that a lot of people come in who have never handled a firearm before. They walk in, rent a gun, buy ammo and shoot away. There is no safety brief or a few words; nothing. I was considering a new purchase so I rented the same gun and when I returned it the guy behind the counter thanked me for returning it with the magazine out and the slide locked back. He was visibly relieved. He said people bring him back firearms loaded and with safety off and magazine in all the time.

I get a bit skeptical about your firearms experience if you come into a range with your buddies and not one of you brings a gun. They have raised prices twice in the last year. It used to be $20 for an all day pistol lane and second shooter was free. $25 for all day rifle range. Now it's $25 plus $10 for second shooter for all day pistol and $25 an hour for rifle. It just wasn't worth it anymore. I go by there every once in a while but that's only because they have good prices on Under Armour sometimes. Their Gun Store prices are really high and their transfer fee is $100 for a regulated or un regulated firearm.

It just isn't worth it anymore.

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    MSAR is the only range I've been to where I've not seen a single RSO somewhere.
    It's also the only range that I've had a loaded gun pointed at me. (some people asked for help, I walked over and the girl's boyfriend turned around with the pistol in his hand pointed at me, no joke. I've never slammed someone's hand on a counter so fast)
    It's the only range where I've seen someone load a magazine with 45s backwards. (like the hk ad but in real life!)

slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013
    Was there just recently for the first time in a long while. Had a great time shooting and no problems at all. I did not see an RSO while I was there, but I did not observe any problem behavior either.

The guys working the counter were as nice as could be and helpful. I also went into the sales room to finger-bang a G4 Glock 17 and the sales guy was super nice and helpful.

Seems to me the key to the place is to avoid the weekends (and maybe the evenings). I am guessing that is when the riff-raff shows up.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Was there just recently for the first time in a long while. Had a great time shooting and no problems at all. I did not see an RSO while I was there, but I did not observe any problem behavior either.

The guys working the counter were as nice as could be and helpful. I also went into the sales room to finger-bang a G4 Glock 17 and the sales guy was super nice and helpful.

Seems to me the key to the place is to avoid the weekends (and maybe the evenings). I am guessing that is when the riff-raff shows up.

I met a MDS'er there to let his GF shoot a gun I had that she was interested in buying. It was a unpleasant weather evening and we had the range to ourselves for most of the time we were there. The staff was pleasant and helpful.

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    I only go to msar right when there opening, I don't think ill.ever buy a gun from there due to how they treated me when I had a firearm transferred there.

slybarman

Feb 10, 2013
    Was at msar today
    First time on a Friday and later in the day than I normally would. First time I saw behavior I wanted to get away from. 4 younger guys. Seemed like decent guys and having fun but very unsafe actions. Loading guns behind the shooter. Flagging each other with muzzles, etc.

Thankfully I was about done anyway. Packed up and left. Told the front desk to keep an eye out.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    Glad to hear that they're improving , I first went there when they were in the first building next to Murrays Meats , It was dirty, dark , most target holders didn't work.
    There next building was a big improvement , haven't been to their current one , But I'm told it's better then the others.
    Still have the Safety issues they've always had , Like the NRA range more ,

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The one near Murry's was the Second location . The First location was just inside the Beltway, in the small industrial park closest to the MSP barracks .

Ap1026

Jul 25, 2017
    I avoid this place when its crowded, the amount of safety violations you see is ridiculous. First time there, guy had a malfunction and the whole he was clearing it his finger was on trigger. Couldn't believe the glare he gave me when I told him about it.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    IMG_2240.jpg

Last edited:

slybarman

Feb 10, 2013
    So Loud and so dark, its relatively close but I just cant stand going there. Nice people
    I don't find it louder or darker than other indoor ranges.

I would certainly prefer to be outside if possible, but not always an option.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom