• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    This may have been discussed before but I havnt been able to dig up much old threads about it

I have a rugged obsidian 45 in jail that I mainly got to suppress a tc encore in 44 mag. I also have a Springfield trp that I was thinking about quieting down also since it is designed as a pistol can.

My question is about installing a threaded barrel. The barrel on the gun is pretty tight fitting so I’m guessing I would have to have another bushing fitted for whatever barrel I decide to go with? I have read this conversion is not really a drop in application. Is it even worth going through the hassle trying to suppress a 1911? It’s the only 45 I own and it is a great shooter the way it is.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    1911s supress pretty nicely. .45 AARP is usually subsonic in most commercial loads. A smith can fit a barrel to the bushing on the gun so you would have 2 "drop in" barrels. Or you could get a barrel and bushing fit to the gun so you swap both barrel an bushing for suppressed and unsuppressed use.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Part of what Mopar refered made me stop and think , then shrug about Anything is Possible . ie the idea of fitting a Barrel to a pre- existing Bushing. I guess it could be done , but the overwhelming norm (when actual fitting is done vs interchangeable GI spec parts ) is to fit a dedicated bushing to each ( non drop in ) barrel .

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    1911s supress pretty nicely. .45 AARP is usually subsonic in most commercial loads. A smith can fit a barrel to the bushing on the gun so you would have 2 "drop in" barrels. Or you could get a barrel and bushing fit to the gun so you swap both barrel an bushing for suppressed and unsuppressed use.

Part of what Mopar refered made me stop and think , then shrug about Anything is Possible . ie the idea of fitting a Barrel to a pre- existing Bushing. I guess it could be done , but the overwhelming norm (when actual fitting is done vs interchangeable GI spec parts ) is to fit a dedicated bushing to each ( non drop in ) barrel .

Ok I don’t mind buying another bushing. I wasnt sure if the bushing was fitted for the slide or the slide fitted for the bushing.

I’m guessing Wilson and Ed brown are on the upper end when it comes to barrels? I looked at storm lake but I don’t really want to go with a sub par barrel just for the sake of suppressing the pistol.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Ok I don’t mind buying another bushing. I wasnt sure if the bushing was fitted for the slide or the slide fitted for the bushing.

I’m guessing Wilson and Ed brown are on the upper end when it comes to barrels? I looked at storm lake but I don’t really want to go with a sub par barrel just for the sake of suppressing the pistol.

Well yes but no. Cabot and Alchemy would be truly upper end but I would drop a line to either the Springfield Custom Shop or our very own Trikshot (IIRC) to get a better handle on things.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

Bar-Sto makes good barrels. That’s what I used when I got my .45 suppressor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    1911 barells are a topic where you need set your parameters , and not throw about ' Best " excessively . Truely top Bullseye Barells and fitment thereof are capable of unbelievable accuracy , but with lots of trade offs .

What the OP is probably asking for is " reasonably high quality bbl , to give more or less 100% reliability , using most more or less within SAAMI spec ammunition , delivering pretty good accuracy " .

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Cabot and Alchemy use Kart barrels. Unless they are making their own now.

Kart is my go to barrel...no disadvantages come to mind. A 6” EX Act fit assembly would be great, less fitting involved, but must be cut and threaded if less than a 6” barrel is needed.

An advantage of having an autonomous bushing for each barrel in this case you can leave the suppressor, barrel and bushing assembled. Plus it is easier to fit the bushing to the barrel and slide. Measure the slide inside diameter, barrel outside diameter (both at muzzle), call EGW, give them the measurements and they will turn a bushing to fit your slide and barrel. Ask for an angle bore and that will be the car’s meow.

Storm Lake gunsmith fit barrels shoot good (not the drop-in assemblies). But there you have considerable fitting and possible fine tuning after test firing.

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    1911 barells are a topic where you need set your parameters , and not throw about ' Best " excessively . Truely top Bullseye Barells and fitment thereof are capable of unbelievable accuracy , but with lots of trade offs .

What the OP is probably asking for is " reasonably high quality bbl , to give more or less 100% reliability , using most more or less within SAAMI spec ammunition , delivering pretty good accuracy " .

That’s exactly what I’m looking for. The TRP seems to be middle of the road or maybe semi hand fitted and it’s accuracy with my 185 gr hand loads show it. I just don’t want to upset the boat just for the sake of suppressing it. On the other hand I’m not shooting bullseye matches with it either. Reliability is more important to me then accuracy.

I can’t help but thinking how bad arse Joe Pesci’s 1911 with a can was; in the movie Goodfellas.

Thank you for your insight fellas, I got a long way to go before I even bring the can home. I got plenty of time to figure it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom