• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    Yes I am a big dummy sometimes. I was at home in my office tinkering with some stuff and started cutting some small plastic with my very sharp spyderco man bug (zap-189 steel). The cutting was a bit challenging so I was doing it in an odd way. The first couple of cuts went ok but I was telling myself in my head that the way I was cutting was stupid and not to keep doing it that way. Well I did it again and lets just say it didn't end well! I didn't listen to my smarter self and my dummy self paid the price.

Any of you guys ever do something like that that you can tell the story now and laugh about it??

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I had built an addition on the back of my house and was cutting some smaller pieces of drywall. Being a cheap ass I was trying to get too many cuts out of the utility knife blades. Fast forward a few minutes and I now had a framing square with a gouge on it the full width of the square (except for a section the width of my thumb) cut completely through my thumb nail and blood was everywhere. Didn't hurt when I did it but started throbbing pretty quick. I rinsed it off and taped the hell out of it and didn't finish my drywalling for anothe rmonth or so.

Now I throw those blades out after a couple of cuts, probably wastu8ng money but who cares!

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    Yes I am a big dummy sometimes. I was at home in my office tinkering with some stuff and started cutting some small plastic with my very sharp spyderco man bug (zap-189 steel). The cutting was a bit challenging so I was doing it in an odd way. The first couple of cuts went ok but I was telling myself in my head that the way I was cutting was stupid and not to keep doing it that way. Well I did it again and lets just say it didn't end well! I didn't listen to my smarter self and my dummy self paid the price.

Any of you guys ever do something like that that you can tell the story now and laugh about it??

The question is how many stiches and did you put them in yourself?

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I cut the bejeesus out of my little finger not long ago on one of these cast aluminum oil pans. Casting flash. You know like when the fat starts coming out of it and the only thing you can do is bite it off and go running for a paper towel.
    It was one of those moments to where you ask yourself, "should I stop and get a glove?"
    Naah!
    Another time I almost cut the end of my thumb off opening a can of Cadillac dog food.
    The can opener stopped short and all it needed was that last little twist.
    Wrong move on that one that one too.
    The old man put merthiolate on it and told me to wrap it up with electrical tape and a towel.
    After about a week I thought it was going to fall off in school lol.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    This is why I keep Superglue and a skin stapler around with QuickClot (I am NOT a doctor so do not take medical advice from me but I do seem to cut the sh!t out of myself very often).

namrelio

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2013
    Frederick Co. Virginia
    Its not about cutting myself but dumber than anything you'll read in this thread. I went in a fast food place, they had fried chicken in a heated glass case with a sign on the front that said, HOT DO NOT TOUCH. I'm no dummy so I touched it with the back of my hand to see how hot it was.

SOB. It damn near took the skin off my knuckles. Bastards. I should have sued em. :innocent0

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    Its not about cutting myself but dumber than anything you'll read in this thread. I went in a fast food place, they had fried chicken in a heated glass case with a sign on the front that said, HOT DO NOT TOUCH. I'm no dummy so I touched it with the back of my hand to see how hot it was.

SOB. It damn near took the skin off my knuckles. Bastards. I should have sued em. :innocent0

LOL. Good one!

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County

That belongs in the: Burned myself because I am a big dummy thread! LOL!

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo

Ugh. Sometimes we're are own worst enemy.

I was about 12 hours into a drywall job when, while scoring the umteenth sheet of drywall, my utility knife slipped off the straight edge and rode right over my left index finger. I made a deep gash and bled like a stuck pig. We were several hours from finished and had to push through. Lot's of paper towels and tape kept me from bleeding all over the work. Arrrgh.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Ugh. Sometimes we're are own worst enemy.

I was about 12 hours into a drywall job when, while scoring the umteenth sheet of drywall, my utility knife slipped off the straight edge and rode right over my left index finger. I made a deep gash and bled like a stuck pig. We were several hours from finished and had to push through. Lot's of paper towels and tape kept me from bleeding all over the work. Arrrgh.

A paper towel and some electrical tape will make the best bandaid!

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Yup....

Had a fight with a 1-1/2HP router and lost.

e65ccdb265fa451e938a640bdc4c6d6e.jpg

For those of you who are woodworkers learn from my mistake. (3 mistakes actually)

Always use Sharp Bits, do not cheap out on keeping them sharp.

Unless it’s a trim router, Use a modern router with trigger switches if you can.

Don’t work distracted, when you are using a router, you shouldn’t be thinking about anything except cut you want to make and the path you are going to take to get the router there safely.

I consider myself lucky, I know a guy at another shop who ran a 2” bullnose bit through his wrist!

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    I cut my belly with a utility knife on the job one day while building a deck. Went and got a six pack and started to drink and stitch it up once I had a good buzz.

My boss showed up and said the homeowner was freaking out because they were watching my from inside the house. Lol.

Good times being young and full of life.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Yup....

Had a fight with a 1-1/2HP router and lost.

e65ccdb265fa451e938a640bdc4c6d6e.jpg

For those of you who are woodworkers learn from my mistake. (3 mistakes actually)

Always use Sharp Bits, do not cheap out on keeping them sharp.

Unless it’s a trim router, Use a modern router with trigger switches if you can.

Don’t work distracted, when you are using a router, you shouldn’t be thinking about anything except cut you want to make and the path you are going to take to get the router there safely.

I consider myself lucky, I know a guy at another shop who ran a 2” bullnose bit through his wrist!

:eek: You're definitely in the lead for this thread!

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    :eek: You're definitely in the lead for this thread!

I really wanted to stress that dumb mistakes with sharp objects can be life changing sometimes. I use myself as a “what not to do” real life example at work and at job sites when I can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom