• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    A discussion in the Wrenn DC thread on what are reasonable processing times for CCW permits got me to thinking about DC's 90 day processing time with their option to extend to 180 days if they deem it necessary.

I decided to informally gather some information on this. Couple things to note before the usual suspects tell me it's not correct:

1. The info was pulled from the individual state info on www.usacarry.com. It is not all inclusive and no guarantee is made of it's accuracy. It's just an informal survey.

2. The times given are for non resident permits if the info was available. Otherwise it's just published as the processing time. It doesn't mean that NR permit times aren't different, just that they are not delineated. Some listed states do not issue NR permits.

3. If there are conditions on issuance, I tried to note them.

4. I did not list MD as it was not listed. MD is 90 days.

5. Do your own research if you don't agree with mine.

6. Only two states have processing times less than 30 days.

7. The average processing time for the 40 states listed: 63.6 days

YMMV

List below:

AL 30 DAYS
    AZ 60 DAYS
    AR 45 DAYS
    CA 90 DAYS
    CT 60 DAYS
    FL 90 DAYS
    ID 90 DAYS
    IL 90 DAYS
    IN 60 DAYS
    IA 30 DAYS
    KS 90 DAYS
    KY 90 DAYS
    ME 60 DAYS
    MA 40 DAYS
    MI 45 DAYS
    MN 30 DAYS
    MS 45 DAYS
    MO 45 DAYS
    MT 60 DAYS
    NE 5 DAYS
    NV 120 DAYS
    NH 14 DAYS (RESIDENT PERMITS)
    NM 30 DAYS
    NC 90 DAYS
    ND 30 DAYS
    OH 45 DAYS
    OK 90 DAYS
    OR 45 DAYS
    RI 90 DAYS
    SC 90 DAYS
    SD 7 DAYS
    TN 90 DAYS
    TX 60-180
    UT 60 DAYS
    VA (RESIDENT 45 DAYS, VSP SAYS NR IS 90-180 CURRENTLY)
    WA 90 DAYS
    DC 90 DAYS UP TO 180 DC DISCRTETION
    WV 45 DAYS
    WI 21 DAYS
    WY 90 DAYS

13 out of the 40 have 90 day processing times
    3 allow more than 90 days
    2 are less than 30 days
    Those 2 are also less or equal to two weeks

From these numbers it seems that the DC processing time discussed in the other thread is not that different from many other states.

Last edited:

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    They could speed this up by having the gun stores issue a permit via a kiosk, should be as quick as a nics check, it snaps you photo and spits out your permit.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Yeah, except many states requirements mandate more than just a NICS check.

Our beloved state for instance.

List of databases checked for a handgun purchase. Have to assume they check the same ones for a W&C permit.

Attachments

• MSP 18 databases.docx
      12.9 KB · Views: 89
    • databases checked by MSP.JPG
      databases checked by MSP.JPG
      59.9 KB · Views: 254

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    A national CCW should get the background checks on a more even footing, like getting a driver's license is about the same in every state, as it would give grounds for suit if a state is makes it way more burdensome than another state to carry in all state. I believe the is the main reason that Maryland doesn't have reciprocity with other states. It would give us leverage in court that people from shall issue states can carry here, but we have a higher burden to be able to do the same.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    There are 10A issues with National Reciprocity doing anything more than just extending simple recognition. Anything beyond that infringes on the states' rights to set their own standards

The state's requirements for DL recognition is set in the State DL Compact, nort Federal law, except CDL.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    MD doesn't have reciprocity with other states because they don't recognize a law abiding citizen's right to carry. That's why G&S is still in force and why MD begged DC not to appeal to SCOTUS in Wrenn

It would allow the serfs to carry.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Read the first part. MD was not listed on the usacarry site so I didn't list it. I did mention it's 90 days.

see item 4.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I was going to insert a a snarky comment after your oversight, but decided that's your job Capt.

So go and snark yourself!

:D

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Thanks again Swinkour for your once again locating and bringing to us a wealth of information.

And in no way denegrating or discouraging your efforts , there are so many other factors in play , those don't really tell us much.

In some jurusdictions , the processing times might accidentally be close to the statutory times.

Plenty of others are routinely completed much faster than statutory. After call it's a maximum, not a minimum.

Conversely , as we've seen here, statutory time limits for " services provides TO citizens, FROM gov'ts " are usually treated as vague sugguestions , trumped by " we're busy, and haven't gotten to it yet " .

The most troublesome is hard to prove, but doesn't require tinfoil to know the occurence is greater than zero - Completed earlier, but delibertly sat upon until just barely before statutory deadline.

But meanwhile in DC - 90 days is well within the norm of statutes . I don't really want to give them a statutory escape valve to double that . But the fact of life is that for ( substantially similar licencing ) historically has taken "average" of about 3months, up to 6 months .

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The only reason I did it was a post in the Wrenn thread complaining about DC’s processing time and stating states should do it in two weeks. The point of my post was to point out many states have 90 day process times and only two are less than or equal to two weeks.

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Well, at least two have less than two weeks at least some of the time, but doesn't change your point.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    I give MSP some credit with my W&C, I had it in less than three weeks. I was put in the express lane because I have to testify against one of Baltimore's finest scumbags that has an extensive record. Problem was that it took almost a month to get all of the training and paperwork in order before sending it in.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    there is no pressure to be put on MD. The 4CA stopped any hope of that.

All we can do is hope that one of the other cases percolating in one of the other circuits gets a CERT grant and SCOTUS rules that carry outside the home is a Constitutional right.

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    When I started reading your OP I was thinking Florida said 45 days on their paperwork when I applied. When I got a letter from them in 2 weeks I thought I had screwed something up and had to resubmit. To my surprise it was my permit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom