• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pittbull

Jan 28, 2013
    Without sounding too cynical, these threats of breaking law are often targeted to law-abiding citizens that do exactly what the law states. I think the prosecutor needs to address the Maryland General Assembly and Maryland judges about upholding State statues of those creating multiple felonies while using a firearm. During the town hall meeting none of the local experts ( police chiefs, State representatives, etc.) were aware of the very low percentages of “mandatory criminal sentencing” of 5 years for “repeat offenders” brandishing a firearm in the commission of the crime. It always perplexes me that the State controls legal firearm owners by threat of prosecution, but cannot enforce violations of laws in the court room. These court sentencing outcomes of non enforcement of mandatory statutes for criminals should be public and available for the public to digest.

mumfrey

Nov 16, 2017
    Northern Balt Co
    Without sounding too cynical, these threats of breaking law are often targeted to law-abiding citizens that do exactly what the law states. I think the prosecutor needs to address the Maryland General Assembly and Maryland judges about upholding State statues of those creating multiple felonies while using a firearm. During the town hall meeting none of the local experts ( police chiefs, State representatives, etc.) were aware of the very low percentages of “mandatory criminal sentencing” of 5 years for “repeat offenders” brandishing a firearm in the commission of the crime. It always perplexes me that the State controls legal firearm owners by threat of prosecution, but cannot enforce violations of laws in the court room. These court sentencing outcomes of non enforcement of mandatory statutes for criminals should be public and available for the public to digest.

It's been said thousands of times, MD gun laws (and most national gun laws) only affect law abiding citizens. All we hear is that we need more gun laws but they continuously fail to apply the laws to the vermin that are the danger. For how long did we hear Obama spew his nonsense, calling for more and more laws, only to have his DOJ fail to even attempt to prosecute the laws already in place. I recall that I read that they only attempted to prosecute less than 10% of the cases. That's over 90% of cases not even being attempted. On the local level, I'm sure it's pretty close to the same, with all of the plea bargains and reducing or dropping of charges. But, yea, we need more gun laws...

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    The trouble will always be there when you have to use the firearm regardless.

Circumstances. You think some cops employer is going to back their defense when it's discovered the off duty shooting was with an unapproved gun? Shooting might be justified but there could easily be employer penalities.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Liddy is kind of pompous, but I used to like listening to him.

The license plate on his corvette said H20GATE lol

I used to really like listening to him because he would talk about anything (obviously politics were a large part) that callers would bring up, especially guns and cars. He was entertaining.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lowoncash

Baned
    Jan 4, 2010
    Calvert county
    Would be interesting to see figures on charges against persons using firearms for self defense or persons charged with firearms violations and no other charges vs people with many other charges where the firearm charges have been dropped.
    Is the law applied equally in all situations. Do the thugs get more breaks than regular citizens when you look at the actual numbers?

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    Would be interesting to see figures on charges against persons using firearms for self defense or persons charged with firearms violations and no other charges vs people with many other charges where the firearm charges have been dropped.
    Is the law applied equally in all situations. Do the thugs get more breaks than regular citizens when you look at the actual numbers?

In general people charged with multiple offenses get more "breaks" in exchange for a guilty plea. If there's only one charge then there's nothing to reduce/remove/drop except for sentencing agreement.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I would love to see a truly anonymous poll (I would never do one on this site related to this) about how many otherwise law abiding citizens of MD have actually carried without a permit in what they feel was a justified act to apprehension of danger? My gut tells me at least a quarter to one third of legal gun owners may have done this at least once. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think I'm too far off.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    I carried illegally in October of 2011 when the tornado devastated P G County.

My neighborhood looked like a war zone and anytime I left the house, I carried, though only within walking distance of erubyville (since the roads were blocked by many, many downed trees).

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    I would love to see a truly anonymous poll (I would never do one on this site related to this) about how many otherwise law abiding citizens of MD have actually carried without a permit in what they feel was a justified act to apprehension of danger? My gut tells me at least a quarter to one third of legal gun owners may have done this at least once. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think I'm too far off.

If you're talking over a lifetime and just one time or more I'd bet it's a lot higher than that.

callidus

May 21, 2013
    Maryland
    I know everyone here is law abiding to a fault, but if you know of someone wanting to carry a gun without the permission of our "lawmakers" in the form of a PERMIT, please advise them not to do so. Illegal possession of a handgun is a class two misdemeanor, and could carry a sentence from two years to ten years in prison. As well, if the "charged" party does no time, but is found guilty of the charge as applied, they then become PROHIBITED PERSONS.

I had a four hour talk with a city prosecutor today, folks, buckle your seat belts.

I suppise I sit somewhere in the middle on this. Do you:

(1) defend yourself and your family, get tried by a jury that (statistically) has no idea about guns and believes you're the bad guy for owning one, then do several years in prison and pay a hefty fine, OR

(2) die in the street and leave your wife/children to whatever thugs killed you (or to deal with the loss of you).

You know what happens if you get caught with a gun. You can imagine what happens if you get caught without one. Depending on your lifestyle, one may be statistically more likely than another (i.e. do you spend more time in a nice area and see police more than criminals, or in the bad parts of Baltimore where criminals are more common than cops).

At the end of the day, it's up to each individual to make decisions for themselves - but they should know the risks involved either way.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    I had a four hour talk with a city prosecutor today, folks, buckle your seat belts.
    I'm only guessing, but I think someone came up behind Woodstock and strangled him while he was writing his post. Then, in his final desperate act, he hit the [SUBMIT] key.

It wouldn't be worth it.

There are other things you can legally carry in this state.

MigraineMan

Ultimate Member
    Jun 9, 2011
    Frederick County
    I find my needle pointing more towards civil disobedience (regarding unconstitutional laws) these days.... that's all I will say on the matter.

I read that weird ...

Attachments

• Needlepoint-civil_disobedience.jpg
      Needlepoint-civil_disobedience.jpg
      103.1 KB · Views: 223

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04