• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sasd18

Oct 29, 2017
    I agree, the whole barrel should be heavy! Mine are! Those pencil barrels will red hot after I am done with them! :) 30rd mag on FA has them smoking! It certainly can't take a Beta!

Or maybe they can... or can they?

This does not help our cause..

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I prefer a pencil barrel for most of my applications. I'm not mounting a grenade launcher on any of mine, and it's a lot easier to carry in an M4 style than a heavy barrel would. If I want longer barrel accuracy, I'll get an SPR profile barrel. Both work great in my intended uses. I'm going to build another AR some time this year, pencil barrel with pinned FSB and FH, standard M-16 BCG, and a binary trigger. The current binary trigger I have is pretty dang heavy, but the release shot is right quick after. I think that will go on my snowflake lower.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    This does not help our cause..

Howso? Next you'll think it's wrong to be out shooting a ma deuce for fun or something....
    Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 21.51.19.jpg

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    I prefer a pencil barrel for most of my applications. I'm not mounting a grenade launcher on any of mine, and it's a lot easier to carry in an M4 style than a heavy barrel would. If I want longer barrel accuracy, I'll get an SPR profile barrel. Both work great in my intended uses. I'm going to build another AR some time this year, pencil barrel with pinned FSB and FH, standard M-16 BCG, and a binary trigger. The current binary trigger I have is pretty dang heavy, but the release shot is right quick after. I think that will go on my snowflake lower.

May or may not have a echo2 in a snowflake lol
    Noveske 10.5”, larue 10” rail, mro, sba3, stt2 and spikes spring.

Attachments

• 4BA6D848-64E3-4041-B4ED-A5161BBB4EC4.jpg
      4BA6D848-64E3-4041-B4ED-A5161BBB4EC4.jpg
      97.6 KB · Views: 691

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    I had been thinking about this. Not sure i can see the benefit of a gov profile barrel. For example, a 16” middy gov bcm vs an elw middy 16”. Even a standard lw. Most of the barrel is a lw profile already. What good does the extra weight at the end serve? Balance for certain shooting positions? Ok maybe.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    To be more precise , this discussion is about A2 Gov't Profile vs A1 Gov't Profile vs ( other miscellaneous profiles ) .

I'll play Devil's Advocate in favor of A2 :

35yrs ago was before the era of routinely hanging the kitchen sink from rifles, and they were commonly fired " naked " .The A2 was a middle ground between better balance for offhand shooting and overall weight . I frequently make note of similarly of balance between an A2 and 16in HBAR . Going with a 20in A2 would give higher velocity ( for both trajectory, and tumbling of M193 projectiles on impact ) . And longer sight radius with iron sights then ubiquitous ( and still prefered by some ) .

Added - Yes during the transition era , civilian Colts were made with various combinations of old style and new style components . But the prevailing wisdom was Colt using up remaining parts on hand randomly .

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I don't know anyone who's ever handled a stock M16A1 and gone "wow, this is unbalanced". It is a magnificent rifle, and the pencil barrel is one of the reasons my 603 clone is one of my favorite guns.

The "weight of hanging stuff from your gun" argument is irrelevant when you're using a FF rail, and even the Army has figured that one out with the DD RIS II.

The real problem with the A2 profile is that it has all the weight in the wrong place (up front). The M4A1 profile makes a LOT more sense if you're going to bulk it up.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I prefer the pencil barrel. Even for long range shooting with .223I really don't see the need for a heavy match barrel anymore

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    "...as for bayonet charges, you’re not going to do one. Ever."

I will beg to differ. That line is right up there with a Fighter Plane will never need a gun either. They are there for a reason for them, like saving weight. I have no doubt they got heavier to make them more durable. One would be surprised the things a Trooper, Sailor, Marine, or Airman can break. No one thought you could break a Hummer Axle, well it can be done.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    "...as for bayonet charges, you’re not going to do one. Ever."

I will beg to differ. That line is right up there with a Fighter Plane will never need a gun either. They are there for a reason for them, like saving weight. I have no doubt they got heavier to make them more durable. One would be surprised the things a Trooper, Sailor, Marine, or Airman can break. No one thought you could break a Hummer Axle, well it can be done.

The original F-35 design did not include a gun because all engagements were envisioned to be well beyond the line of sight using missiles... :innocent0

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    The original F-35 design did not include a gun because all engagements were envisioned to be well beyond the line of sight using missiles... :innocent0

Worst comes to worst there is an easy solution, only recruit pilots with really bad eye sight to prove you are right.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Just like the original F-4 Phantom II.

And the F-111

See how well that worked out.

The USAAC/USAAF/USAF have a LONG history of forgetting history and reinventing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom