Looking to purchase my first handgun. Any advice?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yungskeeme

Feb 6, 2019
    My HQL status just went active today and I’m looking into my first gun. Looking at the Glock 19 or Sig Sauer P320. I’ve been mainly looking at Grab A Gun because I’ve heard good things. I know if I order online it needs to be shipped to a FFL. I also heard that I should contact the FFL first. Where would I find a FFL near me? Do I still pay this fee if I go in person to purchase a gun?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    on gunbroker they have a page that lists a ton of ffl's that all accept guns from online purchases. look there for someone near you.

generally if you buy a gun directly from a ffl/gunshop, they don't charge you a transfer fee, but you should of course ask first.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    My HQL status just went active today and I’m looking into my first gun. Looking at the Glock 19 or Sig Sauer P320. I’ve been mainly looking at Grab A Gun because I’ve heard good things. I know if I order online it needs to be shipped to a FFL. I also heard that I should contact the FFL first. Where would I find a FFL near me? Do I still pay this fee if I go in person to purchase a gun?

There's the Industry Partners area here on this site. One may be close to you.

And yes, talk to the FFL before you have anything shipped to them.

You might even find that what you want is similar price locally after adding in the transfer fee.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Without knowing your location I’d recommend checking the IP Map in the top menu. When you find one near you contact them about the handgun your interested in. No transfer involved if he orders it for you and you’d be supporting an IP. And yes, if you do decide to order online and transfer to a FFL near you make sure they accept transfers BEFORE you purchase it. And ask their transfer fees. Remind them you are a member of MDS either way you do it. Personally I’d go with the Sig. good luck.

Yungskeeme

Feb 6, 2019
    Without knowing your location I’d recommend checking the IP Map in the top menu. When you find one near you contact them about the handgun your interested in. No transfer involved if he orders it for you and you’d be supporting an IP. And yes, if you do decide to order online and transfer to a FFL near you make sure they accept transfers BEFORE you purchase it. And ask their transfer fees. Remind them you are a member of MDS either way you do it. Personally I’d go with the Sig. good luck.

I’m located in Baltimore. I’ll check out the top menu thanks.

I’ve seen good things about the Sig Sauer. I’ve only shot the Glock 17 and thought the 19 would be a good fit. Guess I need to try the Sig before I make a decision.

Yungskeeme

Feb 6, 2019
    There's the Industry Partners area here on this site. One may be close to you.

And yes, talk to the FFL before you have anything shipped to them.

You might even find that what you want is similar price locally after adding in the transfer fee.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I’ll definitely check that out. Didn’t think about how cheap the guns online are minus the transfer fee.

Dingo3

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2013
    Fredneck
    Also, go to a range that rents handguns and try a few different ones. You may find something that you hadn’t considered that fits you and that you shoot quite well.

Yungskeeme

Feb 6, 2019
    Also, go to a range that rents handguns and try a few different ones. You may find something that you hadn’t considered that fits you and that you shoot quite well.

I plan on doing next weekend!

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Don’t be penny wise and dollar foolish

Go to one of our great IPs to purchase your pistol and establish a relationship with them.

Why? Customer Service, Accessories, Suppressors and that’s your first pistol but it won’t be your only gun so you can ask plenty of questions if something else catches your eye.

If you have warranty issues, your local brick & mortar LGS is going to be willing to ship the gun back to the manufacturer under a RMA. Most Internet Sellers aren’t going to care about you once the pistol is shipped and received by that local FFL. That feeling of a great deal is going to be forgotten when you have your first issue.

Depending on what part of Baltimore you’re holed up, you’re not that far from one of our IPs. And some like A1 and Gym Ratz can be worth the extra drive time.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    In addition to renting, make some friends on MDS and they may ask you to go shooting with them.

In our MDS community, there are plenty of guys willing to take a nugget shooting and provide them a chance to shoot their pistol plus provide instruction, tips and guidance that you won’t find almost anywhere else.

Guys will be willing to introduce you to the AGC range at Marriotsville and help you find an AGC club to join where you can meet even more fellow shooters and hobbyist.

Maryland may have a lot of Anti-2A issues but we have a great gun community.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    Most every FFL should have the Glock or the Sig, seems silly to me to purchase one online and have it shipped. Support the FFL and buy there. And I’d go with the Glock.

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    Take a look at Tyler's Firearms. They aren't too far from the city (just inside the Beltway in Halethorpe) and are really great to work with. They will take the time to explain everything to you and are really friendly and helpful. Give them a call or stop by.

Dingo3

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2013
    Fredneck
    Most every FFL should have the Glock or the Sig, seems silly to me to purchase one online and have it shipped. Support the FFL and buy there. And I’d go with the Glock.

What he said. Or they can most likely order it for you and will still be less than online + transfer fees

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    I'll just leave this here

hk-1911-39105378.png

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    The "Glock" kind of looks like the actress that plays Arya Stark. Not a bad product endorsement in that context.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Yungskeeme

Feb 6, 2019
    Take a look at Tyler's Firearms. They aren't too far from the city (just inside the Beltway in Halethorpe) and are really great to work with. They will take the time to explain everything to you and are really friendly and helpful. Give them a call or stop by.

Wow lol. Just chose this place. It’s in Halethorpe which is about 10 mins from me. Plan to check them out

Yungskeeme

Feb 6, 2019
    IMHO, as my first gun, I would buy a revolver....which is what I did.

My HQL class we shot a revolver and I thought it was pretty cool. Can’t find what type it was. I know it was a 38 and it didn’t have a snub nose. I’m going to sound like a complete noob so forgive me. I always thought with revolvers you had to cock the hammer back each shot like the old western. I didn’t have to when I shot at my HQL class and thought it was cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom