• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dad4

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2013
    Cecil County
    Going up Saturday morning. This will be my first time attending this show. Is there much C & R typically?

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Got there at 1:30pm. The place was packed. Parking was a bear. Paid my $24(my son and me) to get in to the amusement park and we were off.

Got a gigantic pressure sealed gun case for my 50bmg. Used with new foam $100. Looked these up on the interweb and they were anywhere from $190 to $290. Spend a lot of time talking to Dennis Todd and his wife Jenny. Walked the back building first and I came up on 3 bricks of CCI Suppressors (subsonic 22lr ammo). I have been looking for this for almost a year. I paid $190 for all 3 bricks. Walked around and found my favorite long lost older guy and his wife that sells gun chemicals and bought another year's supply. Could have gotten it cheaper elsewhere, but they always get my money This is the couple that we talked about in another thread. They said they miss Maryland but the jerk who runs Appalachian gun shows did in fact chase him out. I also heard from another vendor that Skip, Top Hat sold the business to Appalachian and the girl running those tables is NOT Top Hat's daughter, niece or any other relative of Skip. She is working the tables for the promoter of the Appalachian shows. Same thing with the guy who sells the gun cases. It's not a vendor, but someone working for the promoter. There is so much dirt on this guy, I'm surprised more vendors haven't left the shows.

I bought a bunch of mags for many different rifles and a few handguns. There was a guy selling new Safety Harbor 50 bmg rifles like mine, but for almost 2 times what I paid for mine.

A LOT of knife vendors. Most were cheap knives. As always, a lot of military surplus. Some $99 broken and rusty rifles from WWI. Sorry, I didn't look any closer because of their condition.

The one disappointing thing was the cookie cutter ffl tables. Everyone had the same thing. There was 1 table with Maryland compliant rifles and a sign signifying he had them. No 5.45 rifles. All 7.62x39. A lot of CHEAP scopes with very few quality scopes to be found.

One word of advise. In my opinion, if you come in the front entrance, the show gets better the further back you go. First building had a lot of stuff, just nothing I would be interested in. The second building had more quality items, but still a lot of stuff that didn't get me excited. The 3rd building was the best in my opinion. I started at building 3 and worked my way through the entire show. My knee was killing me and I had to stop a few times to sit and rest the knee.

I think I only saw 3-4 people walking around wanting to sell something. Nothing interesting there either.

There were a few empty tables and I'm guessing they will be filled for the start of tomorrow's show.

THE BIG WINNER was the reloaders. There were many tables with powder, brass, bullets. There was even a large selection of Dillon equipment, dies and other misc stuff. Of course I didn't make a list for my Dillon needs, so I walked away feeling sad...

We left about 5:30pm and it took that long (other than the 2 breaks to rest my knee) to walk this show. If you wanted to check out all of the old military stuff, add another hour, at least.

All in all, it was a great show. Nice wide aisles to walk in. I did miss a Winchester 22 short Gallery gun, but the guy in front of me bought it while I was waiting to look at it.

TAKE YOUR C&R license. You will need it. Some great stuff if that's what you're looking for.

Enough for now. Ask any questions and if I have answers, I'll post them.

XCheckR

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    HdG
    Thanks JH! Good intel. I am going Sunday.

My brother was there today, he is from the great state of PA... he loaded up on some ammo, got some good prices, and got a knife...assuming one of the cheapies you sited. He got some ammo cans, but didnt indicate the price.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Going up Saturday morning. This will be my first time attending this show. Is there much C & R typically?

Yes, you name it, it will be there handguns and rifles. From $99 to thousands of dollars.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Thanks JH! Good intel. I am going Sunday.

My brother was there today, he is from the great state of PA... he loaded up on some ammo, got some good prices, and got a knife...assuming one of the cheapies you sited. He got some ammo cans, but didnt indicate the price.

Ammo cans wer plentiful. Since I didn't need any, I didn't get any pricing. They went from 30 cla all the way up to 30mm. Some of the big boys if you know what I mean.

There were 2 people selling Mosin rifles inside of crates. I didn't ask if the crates were for sale.

One crate only had 2-3 rifles left. They will probably be gone, but maybe the crate will be available.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Tons of ammo; .22 was really plentiful. Some reasonable gun prices, others out of this world ridiculous.

Came home with a used Mossberg 590, a Garand, and assorted magazines. Overall a pretty good show IMO.

Deal of the day was the guy with the table of police trade in Mini 14s and ARs. Bushmaster HBar ARs for $490 which were in damn fine shape. Wouldn't sell to MD though due to the Bushmaster name.

Dan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2008
    Never seen as many jerky and socks for sale. J_H_Smith good job on the 22. ammo, my friend passed on that thinking he'll go back and buy them, you taught him a lesson.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I'm curious if ammo prices are coming down? Although a gunshow will be the last venue to see the drop. Federal Ammo layoffs are said to be due to lower sales but I am believing the people are being replaced by robots ... with the new robot tax idea and all ....

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Never seen as many jerky and socks for sale. J_H_Smith good job on the 22. ammo, my friend passed on that thinking he'll go back and buy them, you taught him a lesson.

We walked by the vendor when we left and they had put out another 3 cases. I was tempted to buy these too, but I passed.

Yes, there were a lot of non-gun related vendors, but with the mass number of good vendors, I didn't mind.

Did you see the booth where they were selling a "Tactical" leash for walking your dog? It was a leash that connected to a harness that you wore. It was the epitome of an answer in search of a problem.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I'm curious if ammo prices are coming down? Although a gunshow will be the last venue to see the drop. Federal Ammo layoffs are said to be due to lower sales but I am believing the people are being replaced by robots ... with the new robot tax idea and all ....

I didn't think they were that good, but someone else said they got a deal or two. Lots of 22lr ammo. Decent prices, but I didn't find the prices to be great. YMMV on that. I went with a list of items to buy and to be honest, I do get in a zone and probably missed some other deals because of that.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I didn't think they were that good, but someone else said they got a deal or two. Lots of 22lr ammo. Decent prices, but I didn't find the prices to be great. YMMV on that. I went with a list of items to buy and to be honest, I do get in a zone and probably missed some other deals because of that.

I am quite familiar with "The Zone" :)
    Thanks.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I am quite familiar with "The Zone" :)
    Thanks.

That's why when people say look for me at the show, I never find anyone. I look no higher than the height of the tables. My son and I were talking about that on the way home yesterday. Even he admitted to doing this exact thing.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Another observation about the show. There were vendors selling 80 lowers, AR/Glock that were milling the lowers at their tables. I don't know if they were doing it for customer or not. But one vendor had a mini CNC doing AR15 lowers and I saw another vendor completing a Glock 17 lower at his table. Both at their tables, right out in front for everyone to see.

Again, I don't know why they were doing this work. This was just my observation.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Forgot about the guy in the back corner of either the second or third hall selling a horde of bakelite and plum AK magazines. 30 round bakelite magazines were $30 or $35 which compared to what I've seen online was a steal. He had a ton of them, too.

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013

Vendor in the last hall federal 500 bricks for 24 bucks is pretty decent

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Got there at 1:30pm. The place was packed. Parking was a bear. Paid my $24(my son and me) to get in to the amusement park and we were off.

Got a gigantic pressure sealed gun case for my 50bmg. Used with new foam $100. Looked these up on the interweb and they were anywhere from $190 to $290. Spend a lot of time talking to Dennis Todd and his wife Jenny. Walked the back building first and I came up on 3 bricks of CCI Suppressors (subsonic 22lr ammo). I have been looking for this for almost a year. I paid $190 for all 3 bricks. Walked around and found my favorite long lost older guy and his wife that sells gun chemicals and bought another year's supply. Could have gotten it cheaper elsewhere, but they always get my money This is the couple that we talked about in another thread. They said they miss Maryland but the jerk who runs Appalachian gun shows did in fact chase him out. I also heard from another vendor that Skip, Top Hat sold the business to Appalachian and the girl running those tables is NOT Top Hat's daughter, niece or any other relative of Skip. She is working the tables for the promoter of the Appalachian shows. Same thing with the guy who sells the gun cases. It's not a vendor, but someone working for the promoter. There is so much dirt on this guy, I'm surprised more vendors haven't left the shows.

I bought a bunch of mags for many different rifles and a few handguns. There was a guy selling new Safety Harbor 50 bmg rifles like mine, but for almost 2 times what I paid for mine.

A LOT of knife vendors. Most were cheap knives. As always, a lot of military surplus. Some $99 broken and rusty rifles from WWI. Sorry, I didn't look any closer because of their condition.

The one disappointing thing was the cookie cutter ffl tables. Everyone had the same thing. There was 1 table with Maryland compliant rifles and a sign signifying he had them. No 5.45 rifles. All 7.62x39. A lot of CHEAP scopes with very few quality scopes to be found.

One word of advise. In my opinion, if you come in the front entrance, the show gets better the further back you go. First building had a lot of stuff, just nothing I would be interested in. The second building had more quality items, but still a lot of stuff that didn't get me excited. The 3rd building was the best in my opinion. I started at building 3 and worked my way through the entire show. My knee was killing me and I had to stop a few times to sit and rest the knee.

I think I only saw 3-4 people walking around wanting to sell something. Nothing interesting there either.

There were a few empty tables and I'm guessing they will be filled for the start of tomorrow's show.

THE BIG WINNER was the reloaders. There were many tables with powder, brass, bullets. There was even a large selection of Dillon equipment, dies and other misc stuff. Of course I didn't make a list for my Dillon needs, so I walked away feeling sad...

We left about 5:30pm and it took that long (other than the 2 breaks to rest my knee) to walk this show. If you wanted to check out all of the old military stuff, add another hour, at least.

All in all, it was a great show. Nice wide aisles to walk in. I did miss a Winchester 22 short Gallery gun, but the guy in front of me bought it while I was waiting to look at it.

TAKE YOUR C&R license. You will need it. Some great stuff if that's what you're looking for.

Enough for now. Ask any questions and if I have answers, I'll post them.

Those broken and rusty rifles are probably the same "WV" specials (frankly an insult to WV) that were at York. Lots of people looking but few buying. I think they were Spanish some had serviceable bores, probably could be restored but given you can buy a relatively clean one for $200 why go through the trouble. Parts...........that's about it.

dad4

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2013
    Cecil County
    Just got back from the show. Place was crowded but tolerable. Arrived about 9:30 and had no trouble with parking. Took about 10 mins to get through the line. If you are into AR uppers, lowers mags you will love this place. If you are looking for ammo I think you can get better deals online. I was looking for C&R guns and was not impressed with the offering or prices. Plenty of knives, surplus gear and overall worth a day to see the latest offering.

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    Just got back from the show. Place was crowded but tolerable. Arrived about 9:30 and had no trouble with parking. Took about 10 mins to get through the line. If you are into AR uppers, lowers mags you will love this place. If you are looking for ammo I think you can get better deals online. I was looking for C&R guns and was not impressed with the offering or prices. Plenty of knives, surplus gear and overall worth a day to see the latest offering.

You go in the front door ? Got there around the same time went thru the back and no wait

You drive a bronze color F150 ? If so check your left rear axle bearing/ lugs wheel was moving way too much (left to right :) )

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom