• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BleedinPurple

Feb 2, 2012
    Baltimore is a great city for the things i do. I dont go there to mess around in the rough areas or the projects...when i go to Baltimore i am going there for the inner harbor, the good nightlife and the best sports team on the planet, the Ravens!

but i would not want to live there and if i did it would have to be one of the nice areas...no needles for this guy

NP556

Nov 30, 2011
    Maryland
    I work in Baltimore... Right in the middle of the city. I walk from a garage four blocks away from my work everyday I work. Baltimore is interesting, scary, full of character and insanity all at the same time. Most days I just shake my head and say "gotta love Baltimore"
    I hate it but have come to appreciate it all at the same time time.

itsatrap

Jan 6, 2011
    MoCo
    Baltimore has not been a good city since most of you grew up ~60ish year olds. I have been there, dated girls from there etc.. I hate driving there. I one time stopped at a random parking lot, and up drove some hoodlums that looked like they were trying poorly to conceal firearms, luckily my buddy and I escaped un harmed.

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Too late, a few times Baltimore has surpassed Detroit crime statistics. Sad, but true. On the fair side, Baltimore is going through some changes on tearing down project housing, and revitalizing Federal Hill, and say the Area of Lexington Market. Problem with that they are pushing the people in to Anne Arundel and Baltimore Counties.

Agreed, it has its parts, but since I frequent both DC and Baltimore I can tell you Baltimore makes DC look like Potomac at times.

Spoken with a very true MoCo bias! All cities and for that matter, counties, have bad areas. Have you been to Takoma Park, Wheaton, Germantown, and let's not forget Briggs Chaney near the Auto Park. I have been going in, to, and through, on foot, on the bus, light rail, subway and car, at all hours and have never, repeat never, had any trouble in Baltimore in my 53 years. Use common sense, don't be stupid, and if you can't do that, don't go into any city on this planet.

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    Spoken with a very true MoCo bias! All cities and for that matter, counties, have bad areas. Have you been to Takoma Park, Wheaton, Germantown, and let's not forget Briggs Chaney near the Auto Park. I have been going in, to, and through, on foot, on the bus, light rail, subway and car, at all hours and have never, repeat never, had any trouble in Baltimore in my 53 years. Use common sense, don't be stupid, and if you can't do that, don't go into any city on this planet.

I agree 1000% with this, Baltimore is not really any better or worse than A LOT of other places there are some good and some bad areas JUST LIKE anywhere else, Keep your head screwed on and use common sense and you probably wont have any issues

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central

What is Wheaton's murder rate per capita?

Baltimore in a 10 year period death's almost equaled the total amount of soldiers lost in the military...and we were at "war".

I'll agree that most areas has it's bad parts however you can not say everywhere is as equal to Baltimore. It's just not the case.

By the numbers alone...you are far less likely to be harmed in some others compared to others. You are less/more likely to be a victim of theft in some area's compared to others.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    What is Wheaton's murder rate per capita?

Baltimore in a 10 year period death's almost equaled the total amount of soldiers lost in the military...and we were at "war".

I'll agree that most areas has it's bad parts however you can not say everywhere is as equal to Baltimore. It's just not the case.

By the numbers alone...you are far less likely to be harmed in some others compared to others. You are less/more likely to be a victim of theft in some area's compared to others.

If you are involved in drugs, or crime in general, then you are most likely to be among those murdered. Random murders are pretty much the same as everywhere else. Like 28Shooter I've been all over this city and much of it on a bicycle and "made it out alive", over the 58 or so years I've been here. You just have to pay attention and it helps to know the right areas of town.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    If you are involved in drugs, or crime in general, then you are most likely to be among those murdered. Random murders are pretty much the same as everywhere else. Like 28Shooter I've been all over this city and much of it on a bicycle and "made it out alive", over the 58 or so years I've been here. You just have to pay attention and it helps to know the right areas of town.

That's understood...but I'd rather not visit or live in a place where, even a certain group of people, put very little value on human life. Those people arent restricted to their part of the cess pool and have free roam inside the city (and as we are seeing even outside the city).

There are "random" murders in the city. There's been a few this year rather it be robbery related or a mis shot hitting someone. In my little nook of the world I think any murder is looked down upon and not accepted...not just the "good people" dying.

If you are playing the odds....you likely wont get hurt anywhere...if you are playing the odds...you are more likey to have issues inside the 212 zip codes.

It is what it is.

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I know Baltimore City has it's problems, one of the biggest being the fact that all the good blue collar jobs left town. The port of Baltimore and the heavy industry that used to be here built this state through its jobs, materials, and generated wealth - we seem to forget that today! Baltimore is still considerated a hub of art and literature and we are actually seeing a major rebirth in that regard. We have museums, colleges, the theatre, first rate hospitals, Shock Trama, professional sports teams, and a music scene that includes everything from punk rock to a world class symphony orchestra. I think the thread asked for comments about Baltimore, well, there's a few.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Damn. This forum is going to be a hoot. Just joined two minutes ago. Baltimorean here (or Baltimoron depending on your perspective).

I admit it does feel foolish to pay these property taxe$ and private school tuition$ for the pleasure of living in a hopeless shit-hole/cesspool. Not to mention carrying all the miscreant Baltimore citizens who can't muster the self respect to pay their own way. Ahhh... just think, for what I've spent to live in this city I could probably own a boat, a beach house and my own private shooting range. Oh, and please, for all of you who do own such amenities... have mercy. It's bad enough.

Yeah. Yep. Shit happens here. Bad shit - and good shit. On the bright side it's an excellent place to get laid, make money, party, catch a game, see live shows, socialize, and raise kids (as long as you can keep them safe). I'm sort of a wild west kind a guy - it's edgy and wild here. Fellow adventurous Baltimoreans make for good neighbors especially when you're surrounded by scavengers and predators. Living on the urban frontier kinda suits me for now. I don't mind manning the front line for awhile longer.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying anyone's a ***** for choosing to not venture into the city. I totally get it. I look forward to retiring to where the biggest thing I have to wrestle with is a rockfish.

It's either your city or not. You either own it, or cede it to free-loaders, immigrants and criminals.

I'm messing with you folks.

Consider this my introduction.

I look forward being part of Maryland Shooters.

Welcome. Looks like you'll fit right in.:D:thumbsup:

NatBoh

Ultimate Member
    Jan 4, 2012
    Baltimore
    Lived in Bmore for 5 years now. Never thought I'd like it here being a country boy from Texas. It really grows on you though. Like others have said, there are tons of festivals, cultural events, world-class bars and restaurants, a great music scene, and as a single guy, loads of single women! It's got a gritty, funky edge to it that I enjoy. Lotsa friendly and genuinely nice folks.

I live in the Highlandtown/Canton area but have worked all over the city. I've not feared for my safety at any time. You just gotta know how to conduct yourself and when not to go certain places. It's all about situational awareness.

I guess the good things about my city aren't readily apparent to the occasional visitor, or to someone driving through. I gotta admit that she doesn't give a very good first impression. Underneath all of the warts though there's a gem of a city.

Kevin

NHaze

Mar 15, 2011
    Shepherdstown, WV
    I agree with some Baltimore negatives and agree with some Baltimore positives. But D.C.? Come on. D.C. is a city without a soul filled with transient soulless blood suckers. At least Baltimore is full of REAL people, good bad or otherwise.

Obviously any MDS members and their families dwelling in D.C. are an exception to my blanket statement. :D

Sent from my Droid

km04

Get crackin you muggs!!!!
    Jul 12, 2010
    Harford Co.
    I grew up in Baltimore. I lived there up until about 5 years ago(the wife grew up in Harford Co, so we live there now). It was a great place to grow up. Has it declined as the years go on? Sure, but what area hasn't? Like some have said, be aware of your surroundings, don't be an ass, and you just might have fun.

For others, hey Jack, Delta can have you in Cleveland by evening!

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    It took me about 1.5 yrs to finally get comfortable living in Baltimore. I was north of patt. park but I moved down into Canton when I brought the gf (now wifey) up here. I consider the city to be an animal farm with some charm. It just surprises me that I can meet so many nice and sane people in Baltimore but when taken as a whole, B'more is completely insane and corrupt as hell. Been here about 5 yrs now and it is a very entertaining place to be.

pfrazier

Nov 10, 2010
    Columbia
    If you ever watch the first season of the Wire tv show, you see some graffiti on a wall that says "Body-more Murda-Land" always seemed appropriate to me. I do agree with most that it is all the way you "present" yourself and where you walk. It is a shame that you have to act like a Billy Bad-ass to walk down a street though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom