Trudeau announces ban on 1500 types of 'assault-style' firearms-effective immediatley

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chujohn

Dec 2, 2019
    Northern Virginia
    I saw this a couple months ago and thought it was hilarious, totally appropriate for this situation.

Attachments

• wfz7iwkv4na41.jpg
      wfz7iwkv4na41.jpg
      43.9 KB · Views: 416

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    "The RCMP said the Nova Scotia shooter used banned firearms and was not licenced to own firearms"

So, he couldn't own guns, and the guns he used were illegal anyway but let's ban them.

This sounds very familiar

It is, of course, "common sense."

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Do Canadians have a legal recourse to this cabinet law? Seems their prime minister has too much consolidated power in their government structure.

Parliamentary system, so the head of executive branch is controlling party (outright majority or coalition) of legislature. So virtually everything is already in the bag.

I've spent almost half my life in Europe where they for the most part can't understand how "anything gets done" in our US system where executive branch and legislative branch may be at odds. I'd give them a heart attack by questioning the idea that it is the job of government to pass laws ad infinitum.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the mass shooting in Nova Scotia didn't involve one of those types of guns. They have just been waiting for any excuse to ban guns, and they found one. Never let a tragedy go to waste, right Liberals?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

They haven't announced it. I think it has leaked he had at least a rifle, shotgun and a pistol both illegally possed, and then also took service handgun of policewoman he ambushed and killed.

Not out of the question that the rifle he had was a mini-14. Ive been up in Canada quite a few times and mini-14 ranch version is a very common weapon. Not even on the controlled list. It used to be somewhat common in Norway too until Anders Breivik used one to commit the largest fatality school shooting in the entire world (excluding Beslin Russia which was perpetrated by 34 terrorists).
    '
    there was a mass shooting with 14 murdered with a mini-14 some years back in canada.

GOG-MD

Aug 23, 2017
    AA County
    I just browsed the list. That's a lot of guns they are banning. They did get pretty specific. Good luck Canadian firearms enthusiasts. I can't believe this dbag is running their country. He put a hole in his own boat with this move. If Canadian opposition does not lash out the next election then they get what they deserve.

Trouble is the Conservative opposition is weak right now. The current leader (Andrew Scheer) has zero charisma and fell flat in the last election against Trudeau, even after the latter had a blackface scandal come out during the election in addition to a scandal about bribery, preferential treatment and suppression of evidence relating to a Quebec-based engineering company (SNC Lavalin).

The other problem is cities - Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver are very liberal, and their votes choke out a disproportionate amount of rural votes. You could sweep the rural provinces entirely (Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, etc) and lose if your opponent won most of Ontario, Quebec and British Columbia. Just the way the political system works there.

GOG-MD

Aug 23, 2017
    AA County
    "The RCMP said the Nova Scotia shooter used banned firearms and was not licenced to own firearms"

So, he couldn't own guns, and the guns he used were illegal anyway but let's ban them.

This sounds very familiar

Yup. Exactly. Never let a good crisis go to waste! /s

It's like Northam wanting to ban ARs after the Virginia Beach shooting... in which the shooter only used handguns.

I love how one of Trudeau's main arguments for banning ARs and the like is that "You don't need an AR to take down a deer. No one needs that kind of firepower." I guess he doesn't realize that many jurisdictions don't allow ARs to hunt deer, because the .223/5.56 is too weak a round to reliably kill a deer with one shot. But yep, better ban it, too powerful. Ridiculous.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Yup. Exactly. Never let a good crisis go to waste! /s

It's like Northam wanting to ban ARs after the Virginia Beach shooting... in which the shooter only used handguns.

I love how one of Trudeau's main arguments for banning ARs and the like is that "You don't need an AR to take down a deer. No one needs that kind of firepower." I guess he doesn't realize that many jurisdictions don't allow ARs to hunt deer, because the .223/5.56 is too weak a round to reliably kill a deer with one shot. But yep, better ban it, too powerful. Ridiculous.

while that is true and an important point, Canadians have no inherent right to defend themselves with a firearm or to deter tyranny or tyrannical acts due to a large body of citizenry having firearms. So basis for "allowing" Canadians to have firearms and their firearms law is totally different.

I don't care what kind of gun people need for hunting. As far as I can tell a US state can ban any and all firearms hunting or all hunting without a constitutional issue.

Australia has the legal ability and cultural ability to be the ultimate nanny state. Canada, as far as I can tell, has that same legal ability to impose extremely draconian firearms law, they are just slowed down by the fact that firearms ownership culture is entrenched. BUT Canada's rational for "allowing" firearms has been deeply and primarily tied to hunting, which is a dangerous thing since attitudes on that can change with the wind.

We in the US need to robustly and with muscularity deny comparisons to Canada and Australia. We need to assert their firearms law are is irrelevant to us. As are their lower individual protections on warrant law, speech law, etc. Those countries also even have less protection against double jeopardy as well.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Last I checked, no state in the US was able to pass a law deemed counter to the US constitution.

If we believe that our rights as Americans derive not from a piece of parchment penned by man, but rather derive from God, then it matters not what country a person lives in. All humans have the same right of self defense and self determination. If you don't believe that, you aren't truly a disciple of the American concept of freedom.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Last I checked, no state in the US was able to pass a law deemed counter to the US constitution.

If we believe that our rights as Americans derive not from a piece of parchment penned by man, but rather derive from God, then it matters not what country a person lives in. All humans have the same right of self defense and self determination. If you don't believe that, you aren't truly a disciple of the American concept of freedom.

Yes, this is spot on. The problem is that since we have it in our constitution, we (supposedly) have the courts to strike down unconstitutional laws. That is what they are missing.

Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co

One of the best posts I have ever read on MDS. Apparently, all Canadians do not have this right according to soy boy Trudeau.

rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA

I agree with you on the origin of our rights.

Most every state and the federal government has passed laws which are counter to the 2nd amendment of the US constitution. Any law which requires payment to the state to allow you to exercise your 'right' is a clear infringement. Maryland's HQL is a clear infringement. Requiring someone to beg permission from the state to be allowed to carry a weapon is a clear infringement. Requiring someone to pay a tax on the ownership of a weapon is an infringement. Limiting the number of weapons you may purchase is an infringement. So much for 'shall not be infringed'.

The sad part is that the courts have allowed these violations as being in the best interests of the state.

Rob.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    They didn't make that list up overnight, I think that they have been working on this ban a long time.
    :sad20:
    WWNC

See also pretty much any gotcha legislation. Obamacare comes to mind. They have all kinds of stuff pre-written just waiting for the right time to deploy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom