• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    “...But what surprised me along the way was that, while I can live with the modern "non reflective" and non "game spooking" rifle finish well enough (read Oh ******** Mr. Manufacturer--blued and polished steel costs MONEY),...”

I don’t think it is cost to the manufacturer, they recover the cost, with a markup, in sales. It is a matter of how many units could they sell at the added cost. At some tiers of firearms a costly finish would sell. I know I would not pay $250 more for a Glock with a blued slide, barrel l, and metal components. I believe the EPA and new methods (and the attendant durability) have something to with that as well.

I like blued guns but there is something to be said for some modern finishes, as you noted.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Anyone have and leads on 1894 Darks in .357MAG? I cannot seem to find it anywhere, and when talking to some LGS, they all basically tell me that I have just as much luck finding them on my own as I do relying on them to source.
    My buddy, who had been pretty active in the firearms world until he had a kid, decided he really wants one now :rolleye12. I searched the model number and clicked on the first 30 hits before deciding that they are indeed out of stock everywhere.
    If I remember correctly, Marlin is owned by Remington, who just filed for bankruptcy. So...probably the best/only chance anytime soon is to get majorly gouged on a used one.:sad20: If you pulled a Luger in .45acp out of grandpa's attic, maybe you could do an even trade? :tap:

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    He can get a standard Henry, paint it black, then, when he grows up, he can take the paint off. :lol:

Hmmm...:tap:

...or I could get one, paint (with some nice textured truck bed paint) and sell it to him. "Man, don't ask what I had to do to get this...but here ya go!"

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

Attachments

• 8C8CEBD3-2EB6-42D2-9D7E-3442F5BE2AC9.jpg
      8C8CEBD3-2EB6-42D2-9D7E-3442F5BE2AC9.jpg
      97.8 KB · Views: 186

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members