• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    SIG P320 was being used at a firearms range (Dallas PD's). Gun was dropped accidentally and discharged.

really?

There has been at least one other publication that has posted a story about the P320 recall with an incorrect tip stating that sources at Dallas PD reported a discharge occurred when a P320 was dropped. We took the opportunity to ask Webb if there has been an instance of an officer dropping the firearm resulting in a discharge. and received the following statement from the Dallas Police Department.

"There have been no reported incidents of an accidental discharge involving this weapon because of the defect."

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    This topic is way more involved than I can fully contribute to but here is my viewpoint as a Gunsmith.

One should never carry a firearm that has the capibility to fire if the trigger is not pulled.

So no one should carry a pre-Series 80 1911?

I wonder why someone hasn't done this test on other striker fired handguns (Glock, Springfiled, etc) and posted how they do??????

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Sig knew of the problem and has stopped production of the gun for now. If it weren't a problem, they wouldn't have done that. Details on how they're moving forward to come Monday.

There's really nothing to argue over any more.

I'd love to see a drop test like this of a Glock. Sig fires because the trigger would move back when dropped like that. Glock trigger doesn't move until the blade is depressed.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Sig knew of the problem and has stopped production of the gun for now. If it weren't a problem, they wouldn't have done that. Details on how they're moving forward to come Monday.

There's really nothing to argue over any more.

I'd love to see a drop test like this of a Glock. Sig fires because the trigger would move back when dropped like that. Glock trigger doesn't move until the blade is depressed.

Early Glocks Gen 1/2 where not drop safe. Sort of. The DEA had a "Frisbee" test that broke Glocks irreparably and Glock lengthened the slide rails and offered the upgrade free of charge to all consumers. (Gen 2.5) all Glocks should pass this testing.

AFAIK no discharges where reported.

Any Glock owner can also have their Glock serviced free of charge at "most" GSSF events.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    So no one should carry a pre-Series 80 1911?

I wonder why someone hasn't done this test on other striker fired handguns (Glock, Springfiled, etc) and posted how they do??????

I probably didn't explain myself clearly. My apologies.

I don't think the series 70 1911's fall into that category because they have a grip safety and a manual safety as alternates. One blocks the trigger, one blocks the hammer.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County

I don't think the series 70 1911's fall into that category because they have a grip safety and a manual safety as alternates. One blocks the trigger, one blocks the hammer.

I was kinda thinking about this...(in addition to wondering what of my striker fired collection may not be drop safe). In the particular fall demonstrated, I think the grip safety would be deactivated, as the impact would be on the hammer and beavertail (i.e. end of the grip safety)?

I dunno...like I suspect many other members, my mind is running wild with speculation:ohnoes:...and an unwillingness to damage my own guns by testing them out:o

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I was kinda thinking about this...(in addition to wondering what of my striker fired collection may not be drop safe). In the particular fall demonstrated, I think the grip safety would be deactivated, as the impact would be on the hammer and beavertail (i.e. end of the grip safety)?

I dunno...like I suspect many other members, my mind is running wild with speculation:ohnoes:...and an unwillingness to damage my own guns by testing them out:o

That is correct, a drop on the beaver tail could deactivate the grip safety and allow the trigger to move. Many commercial 1911's often use aluminim triggers to cut down on mass. When people add things like trigger shoes it can lead to an unsafe gun.

You still have a manual safety though on the 1911.

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    What's that called oh yeah, inertia...some kind of impact reaction...

The good thing the LEO didn't get hit by the Bullet or did He/she...?

Seems everyone was more worried about what happen to the P320.

It is still on my bucket list P320 RX...

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    What's that called oh yeah, inertia...some kind of impact reaction...

The good thing the LEO didn't get hit by the Bullet or did He/she...?

Seems everyone was more worried about what happen to the P320.

It is still on my bucket list P320 RX...

CT police officer is suing sig, claiming the fault contributed to him being shot when he put his kit into his car (IIRC).

RX is unaffected. Different trigger.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

But they will fire if dropped muzzle first on a hard surface, with sufficient force.

Actually any firearm with an inertial firing pin and no firing pin block.

But the Series 80 added the FP block to avoid this very uncommon issue.

Yes, firearms should not typically fire with dropped. But I am sure that most will fire if dropped within certain parameters. Whatever they may be.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    This guy nails a ton of striker fired pistols on the back of the slide with a hammer. P320 is the ONLY gun to go bang. Even the cheap Diamondback, Canik, and Walther PPS held up just fine.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    The troublemakers over at Omaha did a follow-up video and dropped a ton of guns the same way as they did the 320.
    None fired; including the 1911 and a 30-year old Glock.

Glock haters BTFO, lol.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    The troublemakers over at Omaha did a follow-up video and dropped a ton of guns the same way as they did the 320.
    None fired; including the 1911 and a 30-year old Glock.

Glock haters BTFO, lol.

Andrew is a true gentleman to the shooting community. He debunks ********, gets sued and keeps on trucking.

Thank you for sharing DC-W

slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013
    This guy nails a ton of striker fired pistols on the back of the slide with a hammer. P320 is the ONLY gun to go bang. Even the cheap Diamondback, Canik, and Walther PPS held up just fine.

Seems pretty telling.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Is this a Glock vs. SIG thing?

Maybe at least a little.
    There has been a lot of internet fodder thrown at Glock for posting ad that poked fun at Sig for the issue.

Naturally fan boys of each brand have traded barbs over it.

(I'm admittedly a Glock guy)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Andre

Latest threads

Top Bottom