• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    We are going to cancel the Annapolis Appleseed event this weekend. Apologies for the late notice but it seems like we'll just have to save our Valentine's specials for next year.

Things are looking good for Marriottsville on March 9-10 - we already have 8 other students signed up but there are still plenty of spots available. This will be a centerfire and rimfire event so a perfect opportunity to kick the tires on your AR, Garand, or favorite 22.

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    I know this may not seem to belong in this section, but Project Appleseed isn't just about marksmanship, it is about getting people involved in the political process to make positive changes in the direction of the country.

While we won't and don't tell you what to advocate for or against, or who to vote for, we'd be remiss if we didn't urge you to make your opinions known on Maryland's upcoming gun control measures.

Please take the time to go to Annapolis this month (2/21,2/25 & 2/27) AND call, AND email your and other key legislators.This link below provides summaries and key committee members and the contact info for who need to hear from you.
    Get your friends and family to do the same. It's that critical.

Pensfaninmd

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 28, 2010
    Harford County
    I know this may not seem to belong in this section, but Project Appleseed isn't just about marksmanship, it is about getting people involved in the political process to make positive changes in the direction of the country.

While we won't and don't tell you what to advocate for or against, or who to vote for, we'd be remiss if we didn't urge you to make your opinions known on Maryland's upcoming gun control measures.

Please take the time to go to Annapolis this month (2/21,2/25 & 2/27) AND call, AND email your and other key legislators.This link below provides summaries and key committee members and the contact info for who need to hear from you.
    Get your friends and family to do the same. It's that critical.

This :patriot::patriot:

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Marriottsville, MD AGC March 09-10, 2019

We are two weeks away from our next Appleseed event, a 2-day rimfire and centerfire at AGC in Marriottsville. . Doubt it will be a Winterseed, with temperatures forecasted to be about 50F, but you never know with Maryland weather.

If you have only been to a 1-day event, you will find that the 2-day has a lot more drills and instruction in addition to more AQTs and more history. So if you have found yourself struggling to get into the groove on a 1-day, this is a great opportunity to expand your skills. With more AQTs, we also find that folks on the verge of Rifleman typically breakthrough.

And if you have only ever done Appleseed with a rimfire, you will find centerfire to be a fun challenge in recoil management, weight management in various positions, etc. all while leveraging the same core lessons of any Appleseed - steady hold factors, the 6 steps of firing a shot, and natural point of aim.

I know there is a lot to worry about in Annapolis right now and that folks are rightly focused on defending our rights to hold shooting events like this one in Maryland. But exercising those rights in a positive way also sends a powerful message - we will not be bullied into foregoing our rights and our heritage of marksmanship that won our freedoms to begin with.

The more folks we can bring to this realization - meaning friends, coworkers, family, or hell, your political enemies - through participation in shooting sports like an Appleseed clinic, the more allies we will have in this fight. Let someone see first hand how semi-automatic doesn't mean fully-automatic (or worse yet, fully semi-automatic!) but how much harder it is to work a bolt, how a "shoulder thing that goes up" is a perfectly logical thing to have for shooters of different sizes, how a "barrel shroud" is a lot better than holding a hot barrel, how an AR15 is not some spray-and-pray killer, and how a flash hider can protect the accuracy of a firearm. All in a safe and supportive environment that avoids the confrontational nature of present day politics. The only red hats at our events are fully qualified instructors.

Most of all let's remind these folks of our heritage and debt of honor owed to our forefathers - to let the ballot box, soap box, and jury box be effective guardians of our freedom so that we never have to turn to the cartridge box again.

Ok, I will get off my own soapbox now. Hope to see you on the line.

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    One week away from our next Appleseed 2-day rifle marksmanship clinic at AGC in Marriottsville. We still have spots open if you would like to attend. If you are worried about equipment, we have plenty of loaners available - just ask.

It is forecasted to be a little chilly on Saturday and cold and rainy on Sunday. Probably like April in New England - so you can have an authentic Appleseed experience! Let me know if you have any questions and hope to see you there.

It is a great covered range so

41852145_1857528601001561_5476522750568824832_o.jpg

41938995_1857529817668106_3209169322706468864_o.jpg

29063542_1625096097578147_1632582145517406396_n.jpg

24883580_1534283309992760_7334145137031552805_o.jpg

Last edited:

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    I may be able to make the Saturday class, don’t know about Sunday.

Completely fine - we typically have a few folks (including instructors) that can’t make both days.

The one-day Annapolis on March 23 is filling up - only 3 spots left. Then you are all the way to Patriots Day Weekend in April 13-14 before the next event. So if you are interested, sign up early and often :)

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Marriottsville, MD AGC March 09-10, 2019 - What a class!

What a weekend and class.

We had 9 shooters on the line - ARs, custom 10/22s, and a trusty Marlin 795. The weather never warmed up as promised (well, it hit 65F on the way home but was cold, wet and miserable the rest of the time) but the shooters sure did heat up!

Saturday we had a couple rifleman scores and even a cleared Red Coat. But Sunday started and stayed HOT. Just how distinguished was this class?

• Eva K shot a 234, 235, 236, and a 246 WITH IRONS!
    • Ben K shot a 235 with irons!
    • Jacob M shot a 241, 243, and 246 with Optics!
    • And because you can't be distinguished when everyone else is shooting Distinguised, Chris M shot a PERFECT 250 target!

In all, 5 out of 9 shooters achieved Rifleman, 2 new and 3 requals (great job Shannon and congrats on all the cleared Red Coats.

The full set of pictures are available on the MD Appleseed Facebook page for the event.

Huzzah and congrats to all the shooters and future Rifleman. Every one of the instructors and students was where you are today. Dry fire, dry fire, dry fire and you will be there too.

Our next class is two weeks away, a one-day rimfire clinic at AAFG in Annapolis on March 23. Only two spots are available so sign-up quickly if you are interested.

After that, we are to Patriots Day weekend April 13-14 at TWO different ranges: Annapolis and Lexington Park.

Oh, and if you ever wanted to see a perfect 250 target:

53431837_2093724997381919_5159375596563726336_n.jpg

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Annapolis, March 23

We still have 2 spots left at our one-day rimfire clinic at AAFG in Annapolis on March 23. It looks like the weather will be absolutely perfect - 57F and sunny, no rain most of the week before! Sorry if you were hoping for a Winterseed patch, but honestly, you don't get better shooting weather than that in MD!

After that, we have plenty of spots open for Patriots Day weekend April 13-14 at TWO different ranges: a rimfire-only event at AAFG in Annapolis and and a rimfire and centerfire event at Sanner's Lake Sportmans Club (SLSC) in Lexington Park.

Those of you who have been to an Appleseed know the significance of April 19, 1775. While each clinic honors the memory of the patriots who fought that day for future Americans - and in doing so risked or sacrificed their own freedom, lives, families, and futures - we take it up a notch for Patriots Day weekends.

These events will come packed with special shirts and patches, special targets, special courses of fire celebrating the heroes of April 19, and lots more. And with two awesome ranges to choose from, you can't go wrong.

As I have said a few times, Appleseed is not just about rimfire rifles - some of our best scores were put up with ARs at the Marriottsville event. And, as always, if you need loaner equipment, including rimfire rifles, just ask. And, as you can tell from the pictures below, we are very family friendly and a great way to introduce young folks to shooting in a safe and disciplined manner.

Some pics from past years' Patriot's Day at Annapolis and Sanners:

30726688_1660921513995605_2040817455178164374_n.jpg

13047659_1012381642182932_2903579331407500829_o.jpg

Hope to see you on the line!

magwell

Mar 19, 2015
    Question for KYFHO or any Appleseed instructor on the forum. The Sudlersville KD event on October 12 says full distance 400 yds, can you confirm this. I thought Sudlersville only had a 200 yd range. Any info appreciated.

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Question for KYFHO or any Appleseed instructor on the forum. The Sudlersville KD event on October 12 says full distance 400 yds, can you confirm this. I thought Sudlersville only had a 200 yd range. Any info appreciated.

Good question. The standard Appleseed full distance events, when the range has sufficient space, is 400 yards. However, at Sudlersville we will be at 200 yards, which is the longest range available to us in Maryland. We compensate with smaller targets.

The rimfire long distance events at Sudlersville in June and September are great practice for longer range shooting due to the significant drop at those distances (really need to learn the DOPE on your equipment) and greater need to compensate for wind. However, the 200 yard centerfire event last year was also very fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Annapolis AAFG - 3/23 and 3/24

We had TWO one-day Appleseed Marksmanship clinics this weekend.

On Saturday, we had a one-day public event with 9 fine Americans enduring cold and wind in the morning before it got sunny and warmer in the afternoon.

With a mix of beginners, some returning Appleseeders, and experienced shooters, we were able to get through 3 AQTs, which is very difficult in a one-day. The instructors saw significant improvement in scores and technique over the course of the day, and a good time had by all. We had one Rifleman, Mike, re-qualify, but several others were close. Pictures are available on the Maryland Appleseed Facebook page.

On Sunday, we hosted a one-day private with a junior rifle team, and once again, we had a wonderful group of 8 young Americans and parents. It started cold, with many handwarmers distributed. However, by the afternoon, the weather was absolutely PERFECT - 68 degrees and sunny. We had one new rifleman (riflewoman) - awesome job Katie!

The majority of pictures are available at the Maryland Appleseed Facebook page.

To all the shooters who did not make Rifleman - keep practicing! Dry fire practice of the skills you learn will help build strong habits. Take your rifle into a room with no ammo, practice putting on your sling, building your perfect positions, and transitions. Use your light sockets as targets if needed. The next Appleseed will be a lot easier and you can build another set of skills on top of that. A rifleman persists!

Just a few photo highlights from a great weekend. Hope to see folks on the line on Patriot's Day weekend (April 13-14) in Annapolis and Lexington Park. I will be posting more about those shoots as we get closer. We have also put up dates for our 200-yard rimfire and centerfire shoots on the Eastern Shore - June, September, and October. So sign-up early and often.

Just a few photo highlights from a great weekend of shooting.

53399800_2111880448899707_2125987482712408064_o.jpg

55526764_2111880185566400_7484854212707221504_o.jpg

55882105_2111880735566345_2266631430974996480_o.jpg

Last edited:

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Are there any plans for holding another long distance KD shoot this year?

Found them on the website https://appleseedinfo.org/schedule/?qstate=MD&state=Maryland

You beat me to it! We have THREE planned long distance 200-yard KD shoots planned for this year at Delmarva Sportsman Association in Sudlersville, MD. Delmarva is a great host range and we have a proven set-up for the events.

The first two will be 200-yard rimfire-only shoots.

June 29, 2019

September 29, 2019

If you haven't been to one before, it is quite an educational experience. We zero 22LR rifles at 50 yards, teach the sighting come-ups required to shoot at 100, 150, and 200 yards from there, and then do AQTs in standard positions at different ranges (50-yards slow fire standing, 100-yards rapid fire transition to seated/kneeling, 150-yards rapid fire transition to prone, and 200-yards slow fire prone). The rimfire shoots should be on steel like last year. What is great about rimfire is that it is translatable to long range centerfire, significantly longer ranges than are typically available in MD

The rimfire does require equipment that can handle the come-ups required for shooting to 200-yards - a 20 MOA scope base, BDC-equipped scope, a scope with enough MOA adjustment range, etc. Iron sights will probably not have enough adjustment for rimfire. But we will have a few loaner rifles available with these features in case participants do not.

We also have a centerfire-only event planned for October 12, 2019.

Centerfire works in similar ways in terms of the zeroing and AQT process, but the come-ups aren't as significant. The good thing is that it will really teach you to trust your battlesight zero and understand the more minor adjustments needed. And really any centerfire rifle work with any reasonable sighting system - we've had people do it successfully with scopes, iron sights, and red dots/holographic sights.

One final note - two of these events sold out last year pretty early. So if you are interested, don't wait too long.

Happy to answer any other questions.

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Damascus
    Thanks KYFHO

I received my KD rocker last year in rimfire and I plan on going again for rimfire and potentially centerfire this year.

IJM

Ultimate Member
    Apr 7, 2012
    District of Columbia
    You beat me to it! We have THREE planned long distance 200-yard KD shoots planned for this year at Delmarva Sportsman Association in Sudlersville, MD. Delmarva is a great host range and we have a proven set-up for the events.

The first two will be 200-yard rimfire-only shoots.

June 29, 2019

September 29, 2019

If you haven't been to one before, it is quite an educational experience. We zero 22LR rifles at 50 yards, teach the sighting come-ups required to shoot at 100, 150, and 200 yards from there, and then do AQTs in standard positions at different ranges (50-yards slow fire standing, 100-yards rapid fire transition to seated/kneeling, 150-yards rapid fire transition to prone, and 200-yards slow fire prone). The rimfire shoots should be on steel like last year. What is great about rimfire is that it is translatable to long range centerfire, significantly longer ranges than are typically available in MD

The rimfire does require equipment that can handle the come-ups required for shooting to 200-yards - a 20 MOA scope base, BDC-equipped scope, a scope with enough MOA adjustment range, etc. Iron sights will probably not have enough adjustment for rimfire. But we will have a few loaner rifles available with these features in case participants do not.

We also have a centerfire-only event planned for October 12, 2019.

Centerfire works in similar ways in terms of the zeroing and AQT process, but the come-ups aren't as significant. The good thing is that it will really teach you to trust your battlesight zero and understand the more minor adjustments needed. And really any centerfire rifle work with any reasonable sighting system - we've had people do it successfully with scopes, iron sights, and red dots/holographic sights.

One final note - two of these events sold out last year pretty early. So if you are interested, don't wait too long.

Happy to answer any other questions.

Glad to see these Sudlersville events back on the calendar, as they're always fun. I checked my .22 sights, and they've got plenty of adjustment for the 200 yard event. I really hope I can make it.

For the October centerfire-only event, are .30 cals allowed this year? I know we had some problems last fall with the Garands taking out the targets, but I didn't see any restrictions on the website.

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Glad to see these Sudlersville events back on the calendar, as they're always fun. I checked my .22 sights, and they've got plenty of adjustment for the 200 yard event. I really hope I can make it.

For the October centerfire-only event, are .30 cals allowed this year? I know we had some problems last fall with the Garands taking out the targets, but I didn't see any restrictions on the website.

Good question. I think .30 calls might be allowed, but we will likely use paper, rather than steel, for them. We’ll confirm as we get closer to October. Those Garands were punishing on our steel targets!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Patriot's Day Clinics 4/13-14 in Annapolis and Lexington Park

We are two weeks away from our Patriot's Day extravaganza events! We will have simultaneous events at Anne Arundel Fish and Game Conservation Association in Annapolis and Sanner's Lake Sportsmans Club in Lexington Park.

IF you can only make it to one event this year, THESE are the ones you WANT to be at! Special T-shirts, Special Patches, Special History, and a Nationwide Liberty Volley! Imagine thousands of people nationwide simultaneously honoring those who gave their lives, so WE could be free enough for the Liberty Volley. Truly a humbling experience.

Plus, we are currently forecasted for temperatures in the mid-60s. Perfect weather, unless you were hoping for a Winterseed patch.

Get signed up while spots are still available!

trailtoy

GOA, MSI, NRA
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2013
    St. Marys
    Only 5 signed up for Sanner's Lake this weekend?? :( The nephew and myself are 2, can we find a few more out there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom