• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I think it is inexcusable, personally. Probably was proof fired and never really LOOKED AT during QC.
    On the flip side, the barrel machinist should have manned up and corrected the error or use another barrel.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    I played with a bunch of new Pythons at the Colt booth at the outdoor show today. I was impressed by the ones on display. I’ve always loved the 6” but the 4” was perfect IMHO. Don’t know if they were all given a once over before SHOT, but all the ones I handled were outstanding.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I was able to shoot my new Python a couple of days ago. It ran beautifully...accurate...great trigger action...no hitches of any kind. I did have three issues...only one was due to the revolver itself. Some have said the serrated trigger face is somewhat sharp...they were right. It's a bit on the annoying side but the edges can be broken with a bit of light going over with some crocus cloth or similar. I also prefer a smooth faced trigger for double-action work. A serrated trigger is better for single-action shooting.

The other two issues are easy to fix...the orange insert in the front side blended into the orange center of the target...memo to self...use targets without orange centers. The other issue...I have a cataract in my dominant eye scheduled to come out in less than two weeks. I had serious trouble focusing on the front sight and couldn't get a clear sight picture. That will be ok after the cataract is removed. Still...my shooting was good and enjoyable.

The new Python is a fine revolver. Now Colt just has to re-introduce the Anaconda...I've heard rumblings about it but no idea if it's true. First get the Python launch straightened out and in full production.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008

Gawd. FF to about 5:38 and look at how Colt let this thing leave the factory. :whack:

Well there are several issues outside the barrel. Why would his ffl give him a refund if he bought it online from a big box store? And why would they discount it for him?

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    The problem with the new Pythons is finding one. The problems have been identified and fixes implemented. They still have a number in line for warranty repairs but are being taken care of as quickly as possible. That's not to say there might not be a few earlier examples still in need of upgrades but probably not many.

I don't have a specific serial number range or date of manufacture the issues were confined to but believe them to be below the mid-2000 serial numbers. If you find a 4.25" barrel example I think the problems were corrected before they were even made. Mine is one of the last 6" barrel examples before the 4.25" Pythons were run and it seems to have absolutely no problems at all so I assume the issues were corrected before mine was made.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I got to fingerbang a couple of them at the Outdoor Show in Harrisburg a couple weeks ago. Compared to my original Python, I thought the trigger had a little more creep. BrowningGuy agreed. This was on more than one gun. They had 4, and I tried them all. VERY nice trigger pull, but not quite as nice.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016

Our friend has returned with another update. Obviously, he hasn't had any previous dealings with Colt customer service if he's complaining about it after only 4 weeks. I'd bet $20 they haven't even opened the box yet.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Colt could take a lesson in customer service from Ruger...well...most gun companies can take lessons from Ruger in customer service.

That being said...the guy in that view is a bozo and an attention whore. His gun handling skills and testing techniques are haphazard at best.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I've only dealt with Colt once for a warranty repair. It took longer than usual but the pistol came back fixed right. I think it took about 11 weeks total.

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    Is there some kind of spray on finish or is it a raw stainless finish? Saw a video with finish defects, bubbling etc.....has anyone tried to brighten theirs up a bit with some mothers mag?

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Colt could take a lesson in customer service from Ruger...well...most gun companies can take lessons from Ruger in customer service.

That being said...the guy in that view is a bozo and an attention whore. His gun handling skills and testing techniques are haphazard at best.

I agree. He's kind of a nimrod but, I wish him the best of luck trying to find a 1990's-vintage stainless Python if he sells his new one, as he said he might. He'll be lucky to find a 90's model for 3x what he paid for his new Python. Last time I looked at stainless Pythons on GB from that era, they were going for $4500+.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County

No kidding! A ten minute video to say, "no updates, and I might sell my Python." FFS! Sometimes, I really hate youtubers :sad20: I wouldn't answer his calls either:o

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom