View Single Post
Old March 13th, 2018, 11:51 PM #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapiBarcelona View Post
Just be glad you didn't get bitten/exposed. I had to do the post exposure rabies a few years ago, I think it was like 7 shots spread out over like 2 weeks time.

Up here in Harford you have to go to the ER to start it, then they send you to another hospital that has some kind of daytime primary care area to complete the process.
Initially it's one shot of vaccine and four shots of human rabies immunoglobulin in the ER for people who have never been vaccinated before. The immunoglobulin is essentially ready-made antibodies to give you protection for the week or so it takes for your body to start making enough of it's own. It's the more expensive of the two by far and lack of it is why people in the Third World who can't get it sometimes die even though they start the vaccine (only) shots on time. Lack of it is also why it's a good idea to get a rabies vaccination before traveling to Third World countries.

Then it's follow up vaccine shots, one each on days 3, 7, and 14 at Harford Memorial now. They want it done at a hospital because apparently some people can have an allergic reaction to the vaccine. While IMHO the four globulin shots in the legs weren't pleasant it beats the hell out of the 16 needles in the stomach people got when I was a kid.
"I have been scientifically studying the traits and dispositions of the 'lower animals' (so-called), and contrasting them with the traits and dispositions of man. I find the result humiliating to me." -Mark Twain, 1896.
zoostation is offline   Reply With Quote