• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jul 1, 2012
    Warning: Colt purists may want to avert their eyes...

Because of the target grips and compensator, I was able to grab this one for way less than they typically go for - bought it to shoot, not to collect for a change. This one was mfg in 1952 and is near mint with its original box. Although the grips look hideous (to me anyway) they are very high quality hardwood with custom hand engraving, made by Beckelhymer out of Laredo, Texas. They were a big-time custom supplier in the 1950's and 60's, and the compensator also is marked Beckelhymer. The grips just don't work for me either in looks or feel, so I put some Hogue cocobolo's on there and grabbed a barrel bushing out of the parts bin - big difference (it's a Type III so has the "fat" barrel with standard OD). The combination of polished blue sides and matte top/bottom/grip straps is awesome. Other than the "idiot scratch" it's in near perfect shape and probably had one mag run through it and then it got put away. It's been in storage since at least the early 60's, so still need to do a detail pin-out cleaning before taking it out for a spin - the 50 year old gun oil has turned into a sticky varnished mess and everything is sluggish.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      27.1 KB · Views: 571
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      41 KB · Views: 575
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      59.9 KB · Views: 576
    • 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      48.5 KB · Views: 573
    • 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      50.6 KB · Views: 598
    • 9.jpg
      9.jpg
      69 KB · Views: 580
    • 10.jpg
      10.jpg
      42 KB · Views: 568
    • 12.jpg
      12.jpg
      26.7 KB · Views: 573

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    HOLY FUGLY GUN, BatMustang!!! (But there's something about it that cries out for love.)

Late one night I saw a Sistema pop up on GB with a pretty low "buy it now" price, so I snapped it up without looking at it carefully. When it showed up at the door, I saw that someone had put modern sights on it (good ones, but not original). Worst of all, they milled down the front of the slide to get the front sight to the right height. It was a big disappointment, but the sting was soothed a good bit when I shot it. Whoever did the work also polished the trigger to a butter-like pull and light break. It's a great shooter.

Some would also say that this one is a fugly monstrosity, but the matching numbers, including the mag number, and pristine bore and overall condition, convince me that it started life as a factory-built presentation piece for someone with some serious clout in Argentina.

Attachments

• pix556733594.jpg
      pix556733594.jpg
      45.1 KB · Views: 551
    • pix160221618.jpg
      pix160221618.jpg
      45.8 KB · Views: 554
    • pix170445463.jpg
      pix170445463.jpg
      41.1 KB · Views: 553
    • pix703892785.jpg
      pix703892785.jpg
      31.9 KB · Views: 545
    • pix457323983.jpg
      pix457323983.jpg
      26.4 KB · Views: 551
    • pix804745528.jpg
      pix804745528.jpg
      53.8 KB · Views: 553
    • pix594234960.jpg
      pix594234960.jpg
      32.7 KB · Views: 551

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Good save! 1911s in .38 Super have really jumped in value. Lord knows what one built in the early 30s would sell for these days.

Jul 1, 2012
    So which one of your other Colts is getting those "custom" target grips? :)
    I think they'd look great on the Remington UMC. Nice contrast to the finish. Maybe could even adapt to a 1902 or 1905 with zip ties, duct tape, JB Weld, etc. :)

Good save! 1911s in .38 Super have really jumped in value. Lord knows what one built in the early 30s would sell for these days.
    $5000 or more in this condition (hard to find though). No fooling. Post-war are running pretty high too, at least half that. This one was well below market value fortunately. There's apparently an almost cult-like following for these things that's driven the price up, kind of like the pre-war Ace - another one on the hit list someday.

Jul 1, 2012
    Some would also say that this one is a fugly monstrosity...

Normally not a big fan of chrome/nickel but this is actually well-done, crisp markings and edges and the gold appointments are nice. Too bad they don't have records and/or factory letters like Colt. Definitely one to be proud of IMHO. I like off-the-wall stuff like this :innocent0

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Normally not a big fan of chrome/nickel but this is actually well-done, crisp markings and edges and the gold appointments are nice. Too bad they don't have records and/or factory letters like Colt. Definitely one to be proud of IMHO. I like off-the-wall stuff like this :innocent0

Yep ... I think this one was factory new when plated. I can't find anything about it to indicate to the contrary. No import mark. All matching, and everything crisp without any pits or scars under the plating ... even looking at it through close-up pics.

Best of all, it basically cost me $75 (in early 1980s money). I traded a non-GI M1 carbine for it in like-new condition. I bought three of them for $75 each when I was in grad school. A girl's uncle died, and she was his sole heir. He didn't have much, but the rifles were in the rafters of his garage. She needed tuition bucks, and I'd just gotten a check for some work I'd done.

I guess that it was a good trade on both sides. I've grown less shy of blinged-up guns. They have their own sort of gaudy charm. Sort of like fat girls and minibikes ... fun to ride, so long as none of your friends sees you on one.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Wow, I don't know what you mean by ugly duckling. Without those dumb add-on parts that thing is gorgeous. Are you going to replace the super tall rear sight?

Jul 1, 2012
    Wow, I don't know what you mean by ugly duckling. Without those dumb add-on parts that thing is gorgeous. Are you going to replace the super tall rear sight?

It started out as an ugly duckling and turned into a swan so to speak...

The original sight was fixed; I think the Elliason-style adjustable sights that Colt used required a slightly taller front sight (ala Gold Cup). Need to do some investigation, I do want to retain adjustable sights if at all possible. Otherwise, I'll just use the compensator for shooting and the standard bushing for show/storage. Not sure if the rear dovetail was opened up for the aftermarket sight - if it was I'm probably SOL.

Jul 1, 2012
    so are we gonna mess with this guy?
    see your $100, raise you $400 :)

last time non-reserve opening was $9k, it's gotten up as high as $2k over past several months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom