• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I have dispatched several deer with a knife to the throat and I almost always have a very sharp knife handy.... a few were while hunting, but I have dragged two out of the road that were injured enough that they couldn't stand or wouldn't survive for sure. Both got dragged off the road beside(out of sight) the truck and dispatched. Hold them down, especially a racked buck's head until they expire. It is quick and pretty humane imo and all you need is a sharp knife, just slit the throat through the windpipe towards the spine and they will expire quickly.

Gambler

¿Got Freedom?
    Oct 30, 2011
    Parkville
    I carry a 12 inch Bowie in the truck just for this reason. It's super sharp and will cut through their neck like a hot knife through butter. It gets messy if you can't cut away from you. :rolleyes:

I was under the impression carrying a fixed blade knife like a bowie knife was illegal...Maryland law prohibits the carry of "dangerous weapons" that includes bowie knives. Am I missing something?

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    I was under the impression carrying a fixed blade knife like a bowie knife was illegal...Maryland law prohibits the carry of "dangerous weapons" that includes bowie knives. Am I missing something?

Yes you are...
    CONCEALING such a knife (Non Bowie straight fixed blade) on your person while in the public is illegal.

Carrying one openly... is not.

There is a list of particular weapons which are illegal to carry in the state and some smaller jurisdictions (spring assist knives are illegal in Baltimore City and Ocean City)

But... I do not recall any law nor ordinance which makes the open carry of straight fixed blade knife illegal.

In the trunk? Keep a machete... it is a lawn tool and not a Bowie knife.

T

Thienan5811

Driving home a few minutes ago in Bel Air and a van two cars ahead of me hit a doe pretty bad, it was awful watching it suffer, kept trying to get up but atleast one leg was badly injured so it just continued to flop around. My gf was begging me to get out of the car and humanely euthanize it with my handgun (her father is a big hunter in upper PA), as she cringed seeing it in pain. This kinda irked me as I sit there and see this poor deer struggle and I went on a 5min speel on why I hate this state and the way society is today (she leans left so made her feel awful I’m sure). That I couldn’t do so because.. no real reason besides guns are scary and we live in a state of 60% +/- idiots who would frown upon that more than seeing a deer in severe pain while it takes police 20mins plus to arrive How is this typically handled? Call local PD, officer arrives and dispatch the animal with a firearm? I could not find much in the way of a definitive answer regarding say a CC holder or citizen with a long gun in the vehicle, or how the laws may very from county to county.. Still really aggravated and feel awful right now after seeing that, kinda ruined my Saturday night to be honest.
    :*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    About 15 years ago a lady hit a deer right in front of me. She was flipping out screaming, panicing, etc..... telling me how much she loved animals. Couldnt believe she hit this poor deer. She calls the police with her cell phone. The deer was suffering. I was on my way home from a muzzleloder hunt at my parents. I grabbed my muzzleloader, put a cap in it and put the deer down. Lady was totally flipping out. The cop shows up and says who put this deer down? I said i did. The cop says thank you very much.

^ This. Have done the exact same thing with a bow except it was my neighbor that hit it. He called me up to take the deer. It was off the road but twitching. Cops aren't allowed to do anything unless its on the road. Cop gave me a tag and I put a thunder head in its heart. It was going to die anyway but it sped it up a bit. I'm sure DNR probably doesn't approve. Very little meat was messed up. Just the front shoulder where it took the hit.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Years ago, I saw a raccoon dragging itself along an area in Virginia. I recognized it was suffering from paralytic rabies. When I got through to the police, they told me to quickly shoot it because of the epidemic. But by then the raccoon was long gone. When the state persecutes people for responsible firearms use, no one wants to take the chance of losing their firearms rights...forever...because of a humane act. In Maryland if I had shot the animal, I'd probably still be in jail, and yet the cop in Virginia, just a few short miles away, criticized me for not shooting the animal. And things are getting worse.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Years ago, I saw a raccoon dragging itself along an area in Virginia. I recognized it was suffering from paralytic rabies. When I got through to the police, they told me to quickly shoot it because of the epidemic. But by then the raccoon was long gone. When the state persecutes people for responsible firearms use, no one wants to take the chance of losing their firearms rights...forever...because of a humane act. In Maryland if I had shot the animal, I'd probably still be in jail, and yet the cop in Virginia, just a few short miles away, criticized me for not shooting the animal. And things are getting worse.
    Was it clutching Gideon's Bible?

geda

Dec 24, 2017
    cowcounty
    Drove past a broken spine doe last night at 11:30pm on a back road with no one in sight. Unfortunately I was driving my wife's compact hatchback that has zero supplies. I weighed the consequences of making a mess of her trunk vs my less then full freezer and went for it. Reusable plastic grocery bag over the head, tire iron to the brain a few times, pocket knife to the throat, paper towels and grocery bag back over the wound to contain the mess. Processed and in my freezer by 1am :). Worked out very well and I am happy I went for it.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    My son takes care them the old fashion way; if grinnin’ them down don’t work.

649678dfdbc1381cca20cea1c98f7e7a.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom