Possession of a handgun in Baltimore could soon come with one year mandatory prison

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    Did this law really say within a 100 yards of a school,etc. Wouldn't some houses be banned from friearms then.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    It is all about getting headlines to prove the politicians are "Doing Something" about the "gun violence" in Baltimore.

Get the headlines, get reelected (to the gravy train), then business as usual.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Did this law really say within a 100 yards of a school,etc. Wouldn't some houses be banned from friearms then.

Existing Maryland transport and storage law still applies. This just means if you break that existing transport law, you face a 1 year minimum sentence.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Why don't they just apply to become part of New Jersey and be done with it.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    It's the possible sentence for the violation, not what you actually receive. Federal law says if you COULD be sentenced to more than a year, you become a prohibited person.

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    I thought Fed law for a misdmeanor prohibition was 2 or more years. I'm pretty sure that's why the General Asylum is so fond of their 3, 5, and on up to 10 year misdemeanors.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Public safety 5-133 already has a 5 year mandatory minimum felony charge for prohibited persons in possession of a handgun. The mandatory minimum is discretionary if 5 years have elapsed since the last conviction and all parole and probation. That rarely happens with baltimore's revolving door.

So the tool already exists. This is just another nail in the coffin of legal transport and permitted wea and carry.

It also contains a second state premeption clause

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/f...on=5-133&ext=html&session=2015RS&tab=subject5

N3YMY

Ultimate Member
    Jan 21, 2013
    Soooo.... they're wasting taxpayer time on a bill that doesn't mean anything because of preemption? I remember an amendment to eliminate diminutive credits for violent criminals using guns, proposed by a pro-gun conservative, went absolutely nowhere in committee. Yet they'll try to pass laws like this?

You are not alone in remembering that.

Of course they will try; it may actually pass :sad20:

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    I thought there's a legal issue with passing laws like this where a normal person could have no idea they were passing within an "enhanced penalty" zone? 100 yards from all these locations cuts off a lot of the city, granted the persons are carrying illegal to begin with.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I thought there's a legal issue with passing laws like this where a normal person could have no idea they were passing within an "enhanced penalty" zone? 100 yards from all these locations cuts off a lot of the city, granted the persons are carrying illegal to begin with.

Yes, there is a legal issue. The proposed ordinance would illegalize "knowingly" carrying within the prohibited zones and then creates a rebuttable presumption that any carry was knowingly. That presumption is a big due process problem as under the Due Process Clause, it is the State's burden (or the City) to prove each element of the crime beyond a reasonable doubt. Shifting that burden to the defendant to disprove an element is unconstitutional.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Is someone going to run through the city with a map and draw a 100 yard circle around every building that claims religious or educational operations?

What if my neighbor opens a church in his basement and the circle overlaps the room where I keep my weapons? Sounds silly, but there are religions (Amish comes to mind) that don't maintain formal houses of worship. Services are held at member residences on a rotating basis. Are those houses now all religious structures? Continuously? Only when services are in session? Do I need to go door to door to my neighbors to determine their religious affiliation?

What if the circle from a block over goes to the center of the road? Does that mean I can travel south over that road but not north?

What if my neighbor starts an internet training academy to teach astrology online? Is his house now an educational facility?

I wonder if the people that write these laws even bother to talk to judges, who have to sort these questions out and interpret them in the real world?

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    I wonder if the people that write these laws even bother to talk to judges, who have to sort these questions out and interpret them in the real world?

The real question is do they even care?
    This is feel good legislation designed to get more votes. It has nothing to do with Public Safety.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    I.love how they add churches in there. Those are private property. What give them footing to encompass a private entities? There are more of those than the other combined!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I.love how they add churches in there. Those are private property. What give them footing to encompass a private entities? There are more of those than the other combined!

?

I am curious as to how you think that has stopped other states from baring carry in bars, establishments that serve alcohol, etc.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    ?

I am curious as to how you think that has stopped other states from baring carry in bars, establishments that serve alcohol, etc.

Bars I can understand, liquid courage starts alot of stuff. Ticky tac B.S. that makes the city council look good to the only people vote, church goers. When dealing with illegal guns on prohibited persons the laws are there already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom