• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    may be lurking near my area.

I first noticed deer hair and then a hide near the range I use on a nearby indian reservation. Then one day there was a rib cage that was picked clean there too. I didn't think too much of it at the time. That was about a month and a half ago.

This week I went to a spot I found a couple of shed antlers in the past. It's in back of a field at the bottom of a hill. The hill has some trees and it's next to a couple of larger hills that are part of the bluffs that line the Missouri River. Nebraska Hwy. 75 is just on the other side of the hill to the west and the reservation town is right on the other side of the highway.

I was crossing the edge of the field and noticed the leg bones of one then two deer on the edge of the field along with more tufts of deer hair. You could tell where the kill was made but no antlers or deer head. A lower jaw bone was around though.

I walked around the bottom of the hill and found a spot where there looked to be a wide area where there looked to be a pretty good scuffle. The leaves had been cleared from the ground and there was a carcass of a dead horse there. Parts of it's leg were scattered around so I know it was a horse. Some people let their horses free range around this area.

I'm getting someone to go with me this week and see how many more carcasses are around. I saw a lot of spots where deer hair was laying around where a kill had been made and the carcass had been taken somewhere else to consume a few years ago when I went shed hunting.

I'll post a pic of the horse carcass in a couple of days.

Last edited:

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    Something that took down and consumed much of a horse? Wow, that’s a pretty large predator. I assume you’re walking around armed.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Injured on the highway, dies close to where you found the carcass and consumed by other animals?

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County

Attachments

• cattleufo.jpg
      cattleufo.jpg
      15 KB · Views: 405

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Sounds like you need a man with experience killing things that kill lots of things...:D

Sam Elliott is your man.

Attachments

• 723175FE-B8E4-4D85-9697-BBFFB882C7F5.jpg
      723175FE-B8E4-4D85-9697-BBFFB882C7F5.jpg
      89.7 KB · Views: 418

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    no tracks? something taking down a horse would/should have left tracks

I saw what might've been lion tracks at the first site but there were too many wet leaves at the horse attack site to find tracks. The deer parts were in kinda thick grass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom