• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Buster Brown

Aug 11, 2019
    Southern MD
    So im new to the NFA world, just picking up my first handgun can 6 months ago. Im enjoying it so much that i think its time for a rifle can. My question is:
    Im wondering if anyone can give me their recommendations on a good 30cal can thats hearing safe for 308/stainless/not sure if I want direct thread or quick detach and no more than 5-550? I talked to John at Gymratz and the one he recommended was the YHM resonator which looks good. I regret not researching my 45 can more and only want to buy one rifle can so i just want to weigh my options. Im thinking stainless vs titanium to keep cost down but I'm pretty much looking for the quietest can i can get both metered and tone. Thanks for any insight...

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I recommend direct thread, its more versatile and muzzle devices for QD are not great. You will have another rifle to put it on.... eventually

I also think you need to ask yourself for the 30 cal what is the application. Mag dump at the range, or 5-7 shots in a hunting application? And by ".30 cal" are we talking 7x62x39, or 300 win mag? Some 9mm cans are rated for a few shots from a rifle round, up to and including 308: https://www.griffinarmament.com/revolution-9-silencer-mod-3/

My advice is to go for versatility, not a single use rifle application, or even the "quietest,"** because for a long time you will have way more rifles / pistols than suppressors. It will be convenient to move the suppressor from rifle to rifle (to pistol as applicable). But, whether you plan to do a mag dump at the range, or kill a hog, I think determines what you want.

** "quietest" : most suppressors will reduce the sound 25-30 dB.Be skeptical of the ratings, YMMV

sasd18

Oct 29, 2017
    My SDN6 wasn’t over priced. Great with 300 BO. Decent with 5.56. I don’t mind the weight because it takes away a lot of recoil.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    While it's not the cheapest option, the Griffin optimus has proven to be a great first suppressor for me. It's versatile because you can format it in a bunch of different configurations and with adapters (yes, there is cost) you can run it on basically anything 300 win mag and below. I've found it great because the adapters that I purchased for the optimus are compatible with the revolution 45 can that I bought also.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The YHM Resonator is generally considered one of the best bang for buck options in 7.62. Disagree completely with the premise that direct thread is best; way too many cans start unthreading themselves.

Buster Brown

Aug 11, 2019
    Southern MD
    I recommend direct thread, its more versatile and muzzle devices for QD are not great. You will have another rifle to put it on.... eventually

I also think you need to ask yourself for the 30 cal what is the application. Mag dump at the range, or 5-7 shots in a hunting application? And by ".30 cal" are we talking 7x62x39, or 300 win mag? Some 9mm cans are rated for a few shots from a rifle round, up to and including 308: https://www.griffinarmament.com/revolution-9-silencer-mod-3/

My advice is to go for versatility, not a single use rifle application, or even the "quietest,"** because for a long time you will have way more rifles / pistols than suppressors. It will be convenient to move the suppressor from rifle to rifle (to pistol as applicable). But, whether you plan to do a mag dump at the range, or kill a hog, I think determines what you want.

** "quietest" : most suppressors will reduce the sound 25-30 dB.Be skeptical of the ratings, YMMV
    Im looking to run it on everything from .223 to 8mm mauser. I dont do much mag dumping but full auto rated would be a plus for the occasional wild hair up my ass. Mostly it would be 5.56 and 308 semi autos for target practice. I have handguns covered. Just need something for my rifles.

Buster Brown

Aug 11, 2019
    Southern MD
    The YHM Resonator is generally considered one of the best bang for buck options in 7.62. Disagree completely with the premise that direct thread is best; way too many cans start unthreading themselves.

I originally was thinking direct thread but, your right about the unthreading. Im constantly checking my pistol can and it gets annoying. Guess my only considerations are how versatile a quick attach can is and how much money id have to spend on muzzle devices because i have quite a few rifles i like to cycle through. What i mean by versatility is the occasional rifle with weird European thread pitches. i guess i can still put an adapter in between and check if its concentric.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I have a thunderbeast 30 cal and happy with it. Certainly not cheap in comparison to others.

I would buy the best one you can afford. $200 tax stamp and 9 months of waiting to only be "OK" with your purchase isnt' my cup of tea.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    While it's not the cheapest option, the Griffin optimus has proven to be a great first suppressor for me. It's versatile because you can format it in a bunch of different configurations and with adapters (yes, there is cost) you can run it on basically anything 300 win mag and below. I've found it great because the adapters that I purchased for the optimus are compatible with the revolution 45 can that I bought also.

Just got my Optimus out of jail, and a couple range trips, love it. It works on so much stuff, and works well. It's a couple ounces heavier than the best 9mm pistol cans, larger/heavier than most 22 cans, and about the going size, maybe a bit long compared to dedicated rifle cans, but performance is good on all. The adapters work with their other cans, and if nothing else you can try most things and see if additional cans are worth it. I can swap it around to fit on 9mm carbines w direct or 3 lug mounts, 22-30 cal rifles, direct thread for hangun cal rifles and 22s, and it includes the booster assm for pistols. Their taper mount muzzle devices are awesome, even without a suppressor, and they have an A2 adapter to use on ANY properly concentric A2 equipped rifle. It's best as a 9mm pistol/carbine and a taper mount 223-308 cal rifle can IMO.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I have a Silencerco Omega and love it. Direct thread or quick attach.
    Just remember that just because you have a suppressor doesn’t mean it’s hearing safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I had a long post typed up but lost it:

1.) Set your expectations for what a silencer is supposed to do for you in a realistic manner. EG supersonic rifle rounds aren't going to be that quiet, a high backpressure suppressor can cause issues with semi autos, semi autos are kind of loud even with subsonic ammo, etc.

2.) YHM Resonator seems to be the default choice. I have a YHM turbo and love it, though I built a rifle specifically to accommodate the somewhat gassy nature of the can. Apparently the Resonator is fantastic on a bolt gun and ok to solid on semi autos, particularly .223.

3.) In .30 Cal I own a Griffin Optimus, Q Thunder Chicken, Rugged Micro 30, and Dead Air Wolverine. They all do a great job at what I bought them for, but I use the Optimus the most. It's just so versatile and sounds nice. The Thunder Chicken sounds better to me, but it is not really versatile.

4.) The big thing that cans do that many people do not appreciate is lessen or eliminate fatigue. Even if I double up on earpro shooting can be fatiguing after awhile. Particularly indoors. Adding a can seems to really cut that down for me.

5.) Good luck and don't overthink too much! Lots of companies produce great products at competitive prices. Nothing is going to be perfect or even good at everything.

Buster Brown

Aug 11, 2019
    Southern MD
    I had a long post typed up but lost it:

1.) Set your expectations for what a silencer is supposed to do for you in a realistic manner. EG supersonic rifle rounds aren't going to be that quiet, a high backpressure suppressor can cause issues with semi autos, semi autos are kind of loud even with subsonic ammo, etc.

2.) YHM Resonator seems to be the default choice. I have a YHM turbo and love it, though I built a rifle specifically to accommodate the somewhat gassy nature of the can. Apparently the Resonator is fantastic on a bolt gun and ok to solid on semi autos, particularly .223.

3.) In .30 Cal I own a Griffin Optimus, Q Thunder Chicken, Rugged Micro 30, and Dead Air Wolverine. They all do a great job at what I bought them for, but I use the Optimus the most. It's just so versatile and sounds nice. The Thunder Chicken sounds better to me, but it is not really versatile.

4.) The big thing that cans do that many people do not appreciate is lessen or eliminate fatigue. Even if I double up on earpro shooting can be fatiguing after awhile. Particularly indoors. Adding a can seems to really cut that down for me.

5.) Good luck and don't overthink too much! Lots of companies produce great products at competitive prices. Nothing is going to be perfect or even good at everything.
    The optimus option is sounding good. As far as some cans being more gassy, thats a good consideration. As far as back pressure, how does the optimus compare to the resonator? I can see suppressing bulpups like a tavor or an aug being not so pleasant.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    The optimus option is sounding good. As far as some cans being more gassy, thats a good consideration. As far as back pressure, how does the optimus compare to the resonator? I can see suppressing bulpups like a tavor or an aug being not so pleasant.

The Optimus is really mild as far as gas blowback goes compared to a few cans I have tried, the main stack and end cap for 30cal is 9mm, only the rifle blast baffle is 30 cal, and the 22cal end cap is ONLY supposed to be used in the short direct thread/3 lug configuration, not with the taper mount/ blast chamber setup, so the relatively large baffle/end cap diameter might be why. It isn't all that gassy for 9mm either, possibly as it's relatively large with few baffles for a 9mm suppressor, not as quiet, but definitely more pleasant to shoot than a 9mm revolution can I tried on an AR9.

these are the main configurations I have tried, it's amazingly versatile for a single can:
    minimalist blast shield, hammer comp taper mount on 9" 300BO
    34.jpg

included booster, short config on G19
    20190814_160546.jpg

3 lug adapter, short config on 7" AR9
    20190814_132849.jpg

direct thread, short config 22LR, can only use the booster on a fixed barrel in rimfire calibers, for centerfire, you need the solid direct thread adapter, or the fixed barrel adapter(solid aluminum spacer instead of the booster spring)
    20190814_132635.jpg

Buster Brown

Aug 11, 2019
    Southern MD
    The Optimus is really mild as far as gas blowback goes compared to a few cans I have tried, the main stack and end cap for 30cal is 9mm, only the rifle blast baffle is 30 cal, and the 22cal end cap is ONLY supposed to be used in the short direct thread/3 lug configuration, not with the taper mount/ blast chamber setup, so the relatively large baffle/end cap diameter might be why. It isn't all that gassy for 9mm either, possibly as it's relatively large with few baffles for a 9mm suppressor, not as quiet, but definitely more pleasant to shoot than a 9mm revolution can I tried on an AR9.

these are the main configurations I have tried, it's amazingly versatile for a single can:
    minimalist blast shield, hammer comp taper mount on 9" 300BO
    View attachment 265926

included booster, short config on G19
    View attachment 265927

3 lug adapter, short config on 7" AR9
    View attachment 265928

direct thread, short config 22LR, can only use the booster on a fixed barrel in rimfire calibers, for centerfire, you need the solid direct thread adapter, or the fixed barrel adapter(solid aluminum spacer instead of the booster spring)
    View attachment 265929

That optimus is really looking good. The can i got is the Gemtech GM-45 and its been a huge let down. While it is light and quiet while wet
    -the pistons are very inconsistently machined
    -piston gets jammed even with bearing grease
    -running wet with electrode gel only lasts about 8 rounds till its dry and loud again.
    -is pretty loud dry
    -pistons are stupid expensive (over $120/piece)
    -no spacers made for running a piston on a carbine)
    and it wasnt a super cheap can to begin with

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I run the Optimus on a couple 5.56 rifles in mid and long configuration, and don't have to adjust anything. And I'm left handed. No real blowback to the face. I am not sure what the suppression numbers are but it sounds good in pistol and rifle configuration to me. Very quiet with subsonic 9mm, and it doesn't make either of my Glocks malfunction. The huge number of compatible accessories means it has fairly unique capabilities (like compatible QD muzzle devices for 9mm PCCs if you don't like trilug).

Be advised, if you go ask at arfcom or another gun website, the suppressor people will probably try to talk you out of an Optimus. It's not the absolute quietest, lightest, lowest blowback, not belt fed rated, Griffin did some shoddy repairs on a suppressor somewhere once, etc. But I've been very happy with mine and Griffin is responsive if you ask a question the one or two times I've emailed them about something. For instance, I asked about a particular muzzle device being compatible with the mid length Optimus setting. A person emailed me back within a few minutes, gave me a phone number to call direct to answer more questions, and offered to take my order personally to ensure I got the correct variant of the muzzle device I wanted.

I think it's a great option that most suppressor owners would be very happy with, but that describes the majority to cans from reputable companies these days.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

There is an easy work-around.....get another QD mount. I use my 762-SDN-6 on 5 different rifles. I have an AAC 51t mount on all of them. The only time a QD mount is a problem is if you have a gun you don’t want a muzzle device on.

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    There is an easy work-around.....get another QD mount. I use my 762-SDN-6 on 5 different rifles. I have an AAC 51t mount on all of them. The only time a QD mount is a problem is if you have a gun you don’t want a muzzle device on.

Fan of the SDN-6 as well. Feels like it is built like a tank, mine locks up right. I do try to be conscious to press the little lever down when installing to keep wear down on the teeth. Very little POI shift and it is repeatable. Run it on multiple hosts.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Fan of the SDN-6 as well. Feels like it is built like a tank, mine locks up right. I do try to be conscious to press the little lever down when installing to keep wear down on the teeth. Very little POI shift and it is repeatable. Run it on multiple hosts.

I do the same when installing. Use it on .308, 5.56, .300 BLK, 6.5....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom