• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I think you are close. If I were going to game that definition of rifle, one thing I could do is install a mechanism where I needed to pull the trigger twice to fire. Remember, it says "each" single pull of the trigger. If it doesn't fire on "each" pull, it's not a rifle. That would be obnoxious to use, but would not meet the definition of rifle.
    Upon further reflection, I'm going to take this theory a step further: the "normal mode" is pull-twice-to-fire, and the "binary mode" is normal. Still fits the definition, since you're firing 1:2 or 2:1, but not 1:1.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    EDIT: actually, more research involved. It does not fit the definition of rifle or handgun used in CL, but it does meet the definition of handgun in PS. Need to see if the SBR exemption would apply or not.

vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    Best guess I saw was semi being fired from release only so it does not meet the definition of a rifle firing on the pull of the trigger. Then an additional binary mode which fires on pull and release. So it exists in the firearm category.

Triggerscan

Shooting Ventures, LLC
    Feb 11, 2010
    Monrovia, MD
    As a FFL and SOT holder, I would consider this an SBR unless I had documentation from the ATF otherwise. A rifle subject to the NFA has a barrel of less than 16 inches in length. The ATF procedure for measuring barrel length is to measure from the closed bolt (or breech-face) to the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device. Unless the ATF says otherwise, having the barrel permanently attached to the receiver doesn't change things based upon their procedure.

One could also argue that it does indeed fire only one round per pull of the trigger. Their defn doesn't specify pull/release, just pull. One pull, one round, could be ATF's basis that it's a rifle.

SC-Texas

Industry Partner
    Oct 12, 2017
    As a FFL and SOT holder, I would consider this an SBR unless I had documentation from the ATF otherwise. A rifle subject to the NFA has a barrel of less than 16 inches in length. The ATF procedure for measuring barrel length is to measure from the closed bolt (or breech-face) to the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device. Unless the ATF says otherwise, having the barrel permanently attached to the receiver doesn't change things based upon their procedure.

One could also argue that it does indeed fire only one round per pull of the trigger. Their defn doesn't specify pull/release, just pull. One pull, one round, could be ATF's basis that it's a rifle.
    Doesn't the definition.state one pull?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    So. ATF has confirmed that no letter has been issued for this firearm according to recoil web ...

As a FFL and SOT holder, I would consider this an SBR unless I had documentation from the ATF otherwise. .....having the barrel permanently attached to the receiver doesn't change things based upon their procedure.

Guys, the Ad clearly states that they have received ATF approval.... so unless they are not being truthful...

Yes, thanks for adding that Permanently fixed Muzzle device as that was missed earlier in the thread.

I think what people are saying is that the Definition says per "pull" of the trigger. Well if they eliminated the gun firing when you "pull" the trigger and the gun only fired when the trigger was released... you can avoid the ATF definition of a rifle. Basically the same idea of using a smooth bore. The definition says rifled barrel... So smooth bore kicks the firearm out of that definition.

Rifle: “…a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of an explosive to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger.” 18 USC 921(a)(7)

SC-Texas

Industry Partner
    Oct 12, 2017
    As I think I noted above, recoil saodnthise sources confirmed no letter.

However, when you ask three ATF employees a question you will get 4 different and contradictory answers.

I cannot imagine Franklin making this announcement without a letter in hand

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    As I think I noted above, recoil saodnthise sources confirmed no letter.

However, when you ask three ATF employees a question you will get 4 different and contradictory answers.

I cannot imagine Franklin making this announcement without a letter in hand

They say no letter will be shipped with the firearm as it is not needed, I might want one in the range bag either way ... very interesting.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    This sounds interesting however if the semi mode only fires on the release of the trigger as some have suggested, I'm out. It's a gimmicky idea in my opinion unsafe if put into the hands of an inexperienced or unknowing shooter.

It may all be a moot point here in MD if the bump stock ban goes through.

JCB003

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2007
    They say "patent-pending" so maybe do a patent search on Franklin Armory on Google and see if anything comes up that might be related.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Not that this carries any major weight, but The Truth About Guns just posted that it is in fact a smoothbore AR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom