• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Just an update to post 125... took my daughter shooting for the first time since the incident. We reviewed what happened and what should have happened. She told me what I wanted to hear. Went out and she did everything perfectly. 100 percent on safe handling and she shot pretty well too. Will continue to keep a close watch so she continues to stay disciplined, but hopefully this was a one time slip and she has learned from it.

Last edited:

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    During muzzleloader season, went out to usual hunting property loaded muzzleloader, put primer in my pocket. Once I got to my spot, put in the primer in. After the hunt get back to truck and unload muzzleloader. When I push the rod through a bullet came out with two powder pellets, THEN another bullet with two powder pellets followed behind. Thank God I have a good streak of not shooting anything. My heart dropped and I felt so sick, thinking what would have happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Unfortunately this can be a pretty common mistake with muzzleloaders. At beginning of season now I either take out breech and look or fire a primer(with muzzle in safe direction of course) to be sure gun is unloaded before reloading. With the new guns, that have the finger tight breech plugs, it is a lot easier to remove and should make this mistake a lot less common..

ascorb

Mar 2, 2016
    at freestate and msar, I had my targets come back with holes all over the place cause of my neighbors buckshots. I was muzzled a couple dozen times as well. At MSAR I was at the end booth in the rifle range and had a bullet whiz by about 10 feet in front of me hitting the wall, I just left after that.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    During muzzleloader season, went out to usual hunting property loaded muzzleloader, put primer in my pocket. Once I got to my spot, put in the primer in. After the hunt get back to truck and unload muzzleloader. When I push the rod through a bullet came out with two powder pellets, THEN another bullet with two powder pellets followed behind. Thank God I have a good streak of not shooting anything. My heart dropped and I felt so sick, thinking what would have happened.

Wow... glad you discovered that before discharging. I got in the habit of discharging after I come out of the woods.... might be a bit wasteful, but I know the gun is empty and I don't run the risk of double loading. I also have my ramrod marked to empty and loaded heights to double check.

Stay safe.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Wow... glad you discovered that before discharging. I got in the habit of discharging after I come out of the woods.... might be a bit wasteful, but I know the gun is empty and I don't run the risk of double loading. I also have my ramrod marked to empty and loaded heights to double check.

Stay safe.

I do the same thing. I'll waste a bullet and charge. I just think it's the safest course of action for me.

Lumber

Feb 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    Not particularly a close call as no humans were involved but I was out shooting 22's with my girlfriend when we first started dating and while we were reloading my grandparents cat walked out of the soybeans

F2S

Oct 24, 2013
    Unfortunately this can be a pretty common mistake with muzzleloaders. At beginning of season now I either take out breech and look or fire a primer(with muzzle in safe direction of course) to be sure gun is unloaded before reloading. With the new guns, that have the finger tight breech plugs, it is a lot easier to remove and should make this mistake a lot less common..

Part of my shock was because I have always been so careful about unloading my muzzleloader after hunting. Not sure what happened that time I didn't unload it. But it won't ever happen again that's for sure

F2S

Oct 24, 2013

Stay safe.

Thank you. Yes it was quite an eye opener. A bullet and powder here and there is a lot better than what can happen if you forget. Definitely had someone looking out for me that day.

Hall Pass

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 27, 2017
    Hereford, MD
    A potential close call I had once - thank God he wasn't spooked enough to fire but I was at a range just firing my shotguns a few times each. Well, about 2 lanes down there was a guy shooting probably 22lr or something else pretty quiet because when I fired my first round, I heard this really loud (through my ear protection), "Holy Shit, what the f...!?" I disengage from my next prepared shot and looked around this guy was backing up to the wall with his firearm (thankfully) pointed more or less downward but too damned close to a 45 degree angle for me! and yes, he was facing me. Luckily, he realized he was just scared and held his hand up and said "nah man, its cool, go ahead". Still had me pretty worried for a hot second.

J-Dog

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    No close calls in particular, but I will say that one of the reasons I don't care for indoor ranges is because of the dividers. I doubt most of them could stop a bullet but they do prevent me from keeping a peripheral eye on my neighbor in the next lane. At least with outdoor ranges, if someone starts doing something dumb, there's a chance I'll catch it in my periphery and be able to move out of the way.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Many years ago as a youngster I walked the railroad track behind my house that cut through a bunch of small rolling hills. Once I got to the road crossing I walked in the field next to the tracks on the way home and while in a valley heard a zing, bang but couldn't tell where it came from. As I walked up the hill heard thunk, zing, bang, still sounded off to the right. A little higher and thunk, zing, bang with grass shooting up ahead of me. About face, down the hill and back on the tracks. Two guys were shooting a deer rifle at the top of the hill towards the road. No target, no groundhog etc. Just shooting from hill top to hill top, about 100 yards apart.

While in the Navy, the quarterdeck watch on the ship across the pier had a ND in the middle the night. Lots of folks got woke up over that.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I got hit in leg twice by a ricochet in one visit to an indoor range. I didn't realize what the first one was. Didn't hurt, just felt something. A little bit later, m something hit my leg and stung. So I cleared my firearm and put it down. I started looking down in front of me and found the 2 slugs. I put them in my pocket and packed up. I told the guy at the desk what happened and showed him the slugs. He shrugged and said we got a bad spot in the backstop, sorry. We know about it and are waiting on a part. I was dumbfounded. I will not name the range. It has been repaired and the guy no longer works there. This was about 5 years ago.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I got hit in leg twice by a ricochet in one visit to an indoor range. I didn't realize what the first one was. Didn't hurt, just felt something. A little bit later, m something hit my leg and stung. So I cleared my firearm and put it down. I started looking down in front of me and found the 2 slugs. I put them in my pocket and packed up. I told the guy at the desk what happened and showed him the slugs. He shrugged and said we got a bad spot in the backstop, sorry. We know about it and are waiting on a part. I was dumbfounded. I will not name the range. It has been repaired and the guy no longer works there. This was about 5 years ago.

Reminded me of a post I made in May 2015 in the thread "Maryland Small Arms Range Gripe":
    I am not a fan of the way they operate the range from a safety perspective. I was hit by a substantial bullet fragment (about 20 gr.) that came back from the fellows shooting from the lane immediately to my left. It broke the skin and stuck in my right bicep region. It was hot as hell and I knocked it out to the floor. I picked it up and went to report the incident to the front desk, expecting that they would inspect the range to determine if anything was amiss with the baffles. Nope. Business as usual. No cease fire, just carry on. I didn't give a s__t about a refund for range time or anything. The fact that they did NOTHING to look for a safety defect told me all I need to know, and I have not been back since. I let everyone know what happened, and I recommend they stay away as well. The fact that they did nothing to ensure the safety of shooters after a ricochet was reported is a real people problem.
    That happened at their old facility, but the fact they did nothing about it not a backstop problem, it's a people problem, and that came with them to the new facility. I still haven't been back.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Reminded me of a post I made in May 2015 in the thread "Maryland Small Arms Range Gripe":

That happened at their old facility, but the fact they did nothing about it not a backstop problem, it's a people problem, and that came with them to the new facility. I still haven't been back.

Yea I was pissed that the guy behind the counter had a I don't GAF about it attitude.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    This thread reminds of the King of the Hill episode with the gun club safety briefing:

"Rule number 4: No matter how excited you are, *do not* run down range waving your target around. That is how I lost this eye (points to eye patch)... [pause]...and later, this thumb (holds up stump.)"

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    During a training evolution when I was in the Navy, we were shooting steel poppers. The guy next to me got hit in the arm with shrapnel from a round or four I just shot at the steel. The shrapnel wasn't very big but it hit him in the right forearm in just the wrong spot causing permanent nerve damage and putting him out of the Navy sadly. I often wonder how he is.

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    A former friend of mine went to the range with me, so I show him how to operate the pistol unloaded, once I was done explaining I pop the mag in and chamber the round and face the gun down range. He goes to pick up the pistol, point's down range then turns around with the gun pointed at a shooter next door to our booth with his finger on the trigger and ask is there a safety. I was beyond scared for the person in the next booth. This is the last time I personally wanted to teach somebody who is super green about firearm safety. I figured it would be common sense that you don't point loaded firearms at people who aren't a threat, let alone have your finger on the trigger.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    A former friend of mine went to the range with me, so I show him how to operate the pistol unloaded, once I was done explaining I pop the mag in and chamber the round and face the gun down range. He goes to pick up the pistol, point's down range then turns around with the gun pointed at a shooter next door to our booth with his finger on the trigger and ask is there a safety. I was beyond scared for the person in the next booth. This is the last time I personally wanted to teach somebody who is super green about firearm safety. I figured it would be common sense that you don't point loaded firearms at people who aren't a threat, let alone have your finger on the trigger.

Not going after you, but this is why it always scares me when people, who are not trained in instructing, try to teach someone else.

Not just firearms, but especially with them.

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    Not going after you, but this is why it always scares me when people, who are not trained in instructing, try to teach someone else.

Not just firearms, but especially with them.

No offence taking here, I haven't called myself training people since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom