• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    The ones now are just 4 shots in the arm and made from human diploid cells. I don't know what a diploid cell is, but I feel smart when I say it.

Diploid cells contain two copies of the chromosome complement. In this case, they're actually primary human cells that were first cultured more than 50 years ago.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

So if you get bitten, they shoot you up with zombie cells. Dang!

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    Racoon tested +. Goats in the area where the racoon was observed getting boosters/rabies shots as they are due next month. Under observation now for 45 days. Wife and I only handled it with gloves and a pitchfork.

Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    Just finished bringing in fire wood for the night and sat down at the PC for a few minutes and the dog started barking out the back door like she had just seen Satan. I look and there is a racoon walking across the yard. Daytime racoon is not good news so I grab a rifle and head out. Its gotten almost across the yard and I have to work around the goat enclosure to get a clear shot and the thing turns and runs into the goat pen and starts chasing a goat around. Still no clear shot then runs to the other end of the pen where fencing is got smaller holes and it can't get out so it started heading back where it came from and I finally get a shot and it is down. One shot to the chest area with a 17machII and second to just be sure. Now the health department has it. Glad it went after the other old goat and not me.

Same thing happened to me yesterday. Middle of 160 acre field and he just walking across. 22 Hornet took care of the problem and 1 groundhog. The pig acted groggy like he had just woke up. 8 yds away and he didnt even notice me.

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    Don't want to tell you what to do, BUT, if you think it was rabid I would bury it and maybe the hog too. I've seen critters acting strange and whatnot and either it is rabies or maybe distemper. While an eagle or buzzard eating it won't have a problem (I don't think), a fox or another critter chowing down on the remains might pick up the problem and be another problem in the future.

ToBeFree

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2011
    Highland Cnty-Va
    Yep

Took one yesterday around 1pm. Luckily I saw one of the dogs looking at it as it came out from under the chicken coop. Called her in, grabbed a Rabid Raccoon Equalizer (RRE) and followed it around my neighbors house and down towards the woods. It's fur was starting to look disheveled and it kept hissing a little at me. Definitely sick. Buried him down about 3ft and covered with lime, dirt, stones and more lime.
    They are just not as much fun to deal with as Ground Hogs!

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    in the early fall there was a fox out in the day light near my daughters daycare in Joppatowne. Told the daycare center to call animal control and not let the kids out until its verified that the fox is not around.

I want to say 2003-2004 one of the horses at our farm went bonkers, and it just so happened to be vaccine day for all the horses so they were in pens waiting their turn for the vet. Unfortunately it was only my father, grandmother, and the vet, as I was out of town with my grandfather on a school trip. Fortunately our vet at the time was one of the rare ones with CCW and carried an Airlite .357mag. People were scrambling to get the other horses loose so they could get away from the bonkers one, who was in the process of running straight through wood fences like they were nothing, cut up and bleeding everywhere. Periodically would reach down and take gigantic bites of the ground and just rip it to shreds like a bad golfer. After slipping on a hill and getting caught under a fence, the vet was able to get close and took out down with his .357 Was quite an ordeal and we were quarantined for a month. Grandparents and father both had to get the fun exposure vaccines. Fortunately for me, I hated the horse and never had contact with it so I was good to go. As it turned out, the seller of the horse fabricated the rabies paperwork to the new owner, unbeknownst to her, who then brought the horse to us.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that it was positive for rabies, they even specified that it came from a raccoon. That summer we eradicated the mange covered and obviously sick. We'd send them down to the vet school at UMD for testing, and one time the lady said no one was available at the time and for us to bag it and put it our fridge/freezer, to which my grandfather replied "lady, how about I come to your house and put this shit in your fridge instead?"............it was picked up within a couple hours.

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    So there is a raccoon rabies? Different from bat rabies? I always thought rabies was rabies and was not different for different critters. Still learning something new all the time.
    And it was difficult to get the county here to come pick up the critter too so it must be some county employee disease.

So there is a raccoon rabies? Different from bat rabies? I always thought rabies was rabies and was not different for different critters. Still learning something new all the time.
    And it was difficult to get the county here to come pick up the critter too so it must be some county employee disease.

Not sure if there's rabies specific to raccoons, I'm guessing they're able to get a trace sample of raccoon DNA when testing?

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    Not sure if there's rabies specific to raccoons, I'm guessing they're able to get a trace sample of raccoon DNA when testing?

humm, DNA might end up in the blood stream? I would think the site of the bite or wound would not carry the DNA for very long and I guess the onset of rabies takes weeks before symptoms show.

Anyway, the old goat that had "contact" with the racoon is now out of quarantine and does not appear to be any more evil than it ever was.

JaegerJason

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 1, 2018
    Rabies Bad

Geesh, you guys scared me into realizing something.

Had my Korean family visiting Iowa last summer. My wife was watching my daughter play in the back yard (parents live at the North end of town). Apparently, some animal that didn't look like a dog entered the yard, and my Korean wife -- who has no understanding of wildlife in the Iowa area -- told my equally uninformed daughter to come inside. She had no idea what that animal was, but she said, "It didn't look right." When she said that, I took it to mean that she meant it didn't look like a dog. I didn't even think about rabies. Based on what you're saying above.... if an animal such as this is in daylight, then it's an indicator that they're sick? Thanks for that.

Later that week, we went to the zoo, and my wife and daughter got all excited at seeing foxes, because that's what they saw in the back yard, that afternoon.

At the time, I explained to my wife that animals (meaning the potentially bad neighborhood dog) are one reason why I carry a gun. After that, she wasn't bothered by my CCW on our South Dakota trip.

We have since had some discussions about foxes, mountain lions (some pretty big ones have come back to the state), raccoons, and bobcats. All common in Iowa.

Yes, seeing a nocturnal animal walking around, especially around people, in the daytime is a very, very bad sign. I had to learn a little about rabies for our Germany hunting license, including watching people die of it. Earlier post is right- you don't want to die of rabies. It's absolutely horrible.

Oh, and as for German hunters- killing sick and endangered game is a huge part of the conservation process, and we were instructed to kill them on sight- doesn't even count against quota for game animals. Suspected rabies was definitely at the top of that list, and it's scary to think it's so common around here right now.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Yeah, I had to take care of a raccoon for a neighbor. Animal control shrugged when she called them. I don't think it was rabies, but it was something. Sitting in her front yard periodically laying down and sitting up. She walked her dog 12 yards from it and it just looked at them. When I came by it was shivering slightly and swaying a little bit, eyes totally clouded over. I forgot that a crossbow isn't a rifle and trying to shoot it from 8yds means your bolt is going to go clear over its head unless you are shooting at its feet. Took 5 bolts. Poor thing. Also, field tips are horrible, I need some judo points (I didn't want to waste my nice mechanicals and good CF arrows, so I was using my field points and cheap aluminum shafts).

A leg, a hip and a shoulder and finally had a bludgeon it with a big stick. It barely moved when it got hit with any of them.

I should have just taken my 22 with quiets over, but the neighbor owns a lot of guns and she wanted it taken care of real quiet (she's on like 6 acres and her neighbors are on 10+, so not sure she should have worried that much about it, my end of the neighborhood are 1-3 acres properties)

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    I'm having them getting into my trash at night. :mad54: Moth balls or rat traps.... which is a better way?
    I can see the lil bastards across the run (stream to most people) on the next mountain at night just waiting.... :gun2:

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    Walmart no rat traps, Dollar General no rat traps, CURSES spoiled again! Will try ACE when I get time, meanwhile coons enjoy life on my trash. :sad20:

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    JUst FYI....while rabies is always a possibility for a nocturnal animal out during the day, keep in mind there are many reasons a nocturnal animal might be out and about during the day. For example, if they hole up in bad weather, they still have to eat sooner or later. I once watched a raccoon foraging the river from a bridge in Ellicott City. It didn't appear sick. It was just meandering down the stream looking under rocks and obviously foraging for food. That is not the mark of a rabid raccoon. After observing for 20 minutes or so, it looked up at me when it was fairly close and I could see one eye was glassy looking...most likely it was blind in that eye. That, I presume is why it was out during the day. Also be aware that most diseases that affect pets...diseases like parvo, distemper, etc can also affect raccoons. Distemper is actually significantly more common than rabies.

A quick search brought up this old report:

https://www.addl.purdue.edu/newsletters/1997/fall/raccoon.shtml

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom