22 LRRF ammo test results (warning: unscientific!)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SuperMag

Citizen--not "Subject"
    Nov 30, 2011
    Maryland
    Went to the range today and had the entire place to myself. It was hot (93 degrees), but I was under cover in shade and there was a mild breeze.

The peashooter I used was a Savage Mk II BTVSS bolt-action rifle with a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 Rimfire scope.

I shot 10 rounds of each ammo type (CCI, Remington, and Winchester) at three targets, and repeated that again twice, for a total of 30 rounds per target. All ammo was 40 grains.

The CCI Standard Velocity was the most consistently accurate. Nice group; blew out the middle of the target. Power wise, it fell between the Remington and the Winchester Subsonic.

The Remington Golden Bullet ammo was the hottest. It really kicked for a 22 LRRF, but the consistency in power varied quite a bit. Most were very hot (hence the higher printing on the target), and some were down in the power range of the CCI and Winchester--which brought them to the bulleye. This being bulk ammo (and very cheap), I'm not surprised at the variation in accuracy. Note! Many of these bullets were loose in their cases. If you buy Remington Golden Bullet ammo, keep it on a sealed container like an ammo can or Tupperware to prevent humidity from getting to it.

The Winchester Subsonic had a slightly lighter kick than the CCI, and produced a much quieter report. It also shot a fairly consistent group.

I had no failures to fire. All ammo fed smoothly and extracted cleanly.

There really is no "best" here. For plinking and blazing away with a semi-auto, you cannot beat the Remington ammo because it's really inexpensive. It was the least accurate of the bunch, but it's plenty accurate for plinking. It's also the dirtiest. Dirty fingers from loading the magazine, and the most powder fouling of the three ammo types today.

About the Nikon scope: this is one of the very few scopes I've used that has a super sharp crosshair and a crisp target picture at all magnifications. Most scopes, either the target or the crosshair is out of focus--especially when wearing corrective lenses. Nikon gets it right.

Attachments

• 22LRRF Ammo Comparo.jpg
      22LRRF Ammo Comparo.jpg
      61.3 KB · Views: 380

Jason21237

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2011
    Delta,PA
    Thanks for the info. Looks almost like 3 different shooters or 3 different guns. Almost hard to believe its the same guy with the same gun only using different ammo.

SuperMag

Citizen--not "Subject"
    Nov 30, 2011
    Maryland
    Yeah, it's really an adventure, finding the type of ammo that a certain weapon shoots best. Some ammo that works well in one firearm might not do so well in another.

SuperMag

Citizen--not "Subject"
    Nov 30, 2011
    Maryland
    It's 22 caliber Long-Rifle RimFire (LRRF).

As opposed to 22 magnum, 22 HMR, etc. There are a bunch of different case sizes/styles for a .22-cal bullet.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    It's 22 caliber Long-Rifle RimFire (LRRF).

As opposed to 22 magnum, 22 HMR, etc. There are a bunch of different case sizes/styles for a .22-cal bullet.

AH, I looked on all my boxes and I only saw 22 Long Rifle, thought they had come out with a new ammo.

SuperMag

Citizen--not "Subject"
    Nov 30, 2011
    Maryland
    While I was there, I found a few Winchester 338 magnum cases in the brass bucket. There was only one thing to do (I'll bet you know what that was).

I stood 'em up atop the steel target stand at 50 yards and picked 'em off one by one with the CCI ammo. It's that good. See attached pic.

And YES, it took me 15 minutes to find them all because they went spinning away.

Attachments

• 338WinMagShots.jpg
      338WinMagShots.jpg
      38 KB · Views: 282

IJM

Ultimate Member
    Apr 7, 2012
    District of Columbia
    This is an excellent and timely thread, as I'm currently in the process of acquiring a Savage Mark II FVT. This confirms what I've previously heard about those CCI standard velocity rounds being excellent out of a Savage Mk. II. Now I just need to find someone locally who actually has them in stock. Dicks normally has them, but it seems every store around here is out.

SuperMag

Citizen--not "Subject"
    Nov 30, 2011
    Maryland
    IJM, the new Dick's Sporting Goods in Crofton usually has 'em when I walk in for a brick. They also sell the CCI "Tactical" rounds too, but they usually cost a bit more, and you gain nothing in accuracy. They just fly a tad faster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom