• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    Those are green not yet roasted beans. Green they will keep a long time in their packaging and stored properly. Similar to other dried beans.

My roaster does a half pound at a time in about 15 min. I roast about a pound a week. Have 10 lbs currently in rotation.. you can dial in the roast just like you want and play with the variety of beans available. Some I like light roasted and some dark.

You can roast coffee in a pan over a fire, air popcorn maker, one of several home roasters, etc.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    We bought this for camping from REI:
    https://www.rei.com/product/884331/gsi-outdoors-java-press-30-fl-oz

7c174302-fbf3-4177-ad3a-89ddc95cacc2

It's not as efficient as a drip coffee maker, meaning it uses more coffee grounds. We use the regular ground coffee. It makes a great cup of coffee and only requires hot water, no electricity.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    A 12 cup pot, a 4 cup pot. An electric grinder. A manual grinder and a 34oz French press. That and about 18lbs of whole bean coffee. Oh and some non dairy powdered creamer if I can’t get half and half. But I can transition to black. Just wanted something I could ween my way towards black coffee.

bibitor

Kulak
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2017
    FEMA Region III
    I buy BRC AK roast, love that chit, worth every penny. They ship it to my office in great quantities every month. I keep a rotation from freezer storage. During the cold months it’s French press. Not because of hipster nonsense, but because I like my coffee to pour like motor oil and its very easy to keep clean. During the summer I make cold brew. 1 lb. coarsely ground split evenly across 3 half gallon mason jars. Add water and let sit in a cabinet for 2 days. Filter through a cotton bag and the yield is about a gallon of some high test goodness.

I need to add some instant to my pantry though.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I have been coveting my sodas but I probably should put back a can of coffee or some of those awesome caffeine drink packets if they have them next time I venture out to the fully stocked grocery store (seriously everything but TP).

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Those are green not yet roasted beans. Green they will keep a long time in their packaging and stored properly. Similar to other dried beans.

My roaster does a half pound at a time in about 15 min. I roast about a pound a week. Have 10 lbs currently in rotation.. you can dial in the roast just like you want and play with the variety of beans available. Some I like light roasted and some dark.

You can roast coffee in a pan over a fire, air popcorn maker, one of several home roasters, etc.

Which one do you have? Set it and forget it? I see yergochef (spelling murdered) green beans for a nice price in bulk...

I looked into roasting and oh boy, what a rabbit hole. I also went to an Ethiopian cafe to ask about the ceremony and learn more. All fascinating but I had to stop.

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    Percolator. From stove top to campfire, it always brews a good cup of coffee.

WTF has time dealing with French presses, pour-over carafes and other silliness? Don’t have time to be a coffee snob either with these boutique roast and blends either. Maxwell House is still the best. May buy Cafe Du Monde when I can get it for $3.99 at H Mart

It might be a fad now, but pour overs are generally the traditional way to make coffee in South America—super easy, doesn’t require a lot of gear. The Japanese adopted it several decades ago, probably because they were a poor country at the time, and refined it. It’s probably one of the faster methods as well—takes me about 3 minutes, but it does require attention for that time.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    It might be a fad now, but pour overs are generally the traditional way to make coffee in South America—super easy, doesn’t require a lot of gear. The Japanese adopted it several decades ago, probably because they were a poor country at the time, and refined it. It’s probably one of the faster methods as well—takes me about 3 minutes, but it does require attention for that time.

Careful.

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    Which one do you have? Set it and forget it? I see yergochef (spelling murdered) green beans for a nice price in bulk...

I looked into roasting and oh boy, what a rabbit hole. I also went to an Ethiopian cafe to ask about the ceremony and learn more. All fascinating but I had to stop.

A rabbit hole indeed! I started about 8 month ago I guess with an air pop popcorn maker. It worked. It was fun for a bit.

Been using a FreshRoast 800 for about 4 months now. Does half pound at a time. I mess with the heat and temps. Been taking notes so I can reproduce the roasts I like. It really only takes me about an hour total time to roast for the week. I bought a cheap RV range hood off amazon. Made a stand. I pump it out of basement window insert I made real quick with plywood.

The ones I buy the most are El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua. I do get others to try. Have some Costs Rica and Burundi to try.

With all that though I like having the green beans since they last a long time and I could manage with a cast iron pan over a fire if need be.

Scottysan

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2008
    Maryland
    For family camping, We've had all the different types of coffee makers... percolators, french press, 4 types of pour-overs.
    We still use the pour-overs for that style of camping, got tired of the cleanup and extra effort and time the others needed.
    But these days, most of our camping has shifted to backpacking, so Starbucks Via instant is my go to now. Less prep and trash to haul in and out.
    YMMV

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    Instant coffee would be the easiest for preps. But I think an aero press would be a good back up. I’ve been thinking of getting on for my espresso since my moka broke.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Instant coffee would be the easiest for preps. But I think an aero press would be a good back up. I’ve been thinking of getting on for my espresso since my moka broke.

Whole bean, vacuum sealed with backup manual grinder and French press.

It might not be the easiest, but it is the most versatile. Ground coffee beans make excellent compost for your garden.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I’ve been drinking instant for a few weeks now and for the money and the ease of making it, it’s perfect. It’s not as good as k-cups but it’s more than acceptable and perfect for prepping. I do want to get my hands on the Trader Joe’s instant coffee when things return to “normal”.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom