• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Maxim 50 purchased on Black friday.

I purchased 350gHornady FPB and Federal 350g Bor Lock bullets.
    I only had lunchtime so I wanted to get the scope zero'd.

I also had my CVA wolf which I last shot taking a doe in early ML last year.
    The CVA with 100g BH209 and a 250g smackdown was right where I had it 1" high @ 50yd

I took a couple shots @50yds with the FPB and 50g BH209 and I could not see where I was hitting. So. I shot the M50 into the berm aiming at a dark clump with just 50g and using an FPB.. Way low right. I had to add 50clicks up and left. Then shot on paper @ 50. then kept adjusting. First impression was man, I can see my target right away. I got it within an inch of bullsye . I then cleaned the barrel. After a clean barrel was achived, I then shot 3 shots back on the target I shot the single CVA shot with this time using the borlock 350g lead (still 50g BH209). All 3 holes were touching. (so I never shot a group w/ the FPB. The reason was time. Plus I noticed the FPB became hard to seat w/o cleaning after about 4 shots. I took 1 shot @ 50 w/ 100grains and the 350g BorLock at the other paper and it was within 1"left of the group using 50gbh209.

Cleaned barrel.

Next I went to 100 yards and shot 100gr BH209 & again the BorLock 350g. Then 2 shots changing just to Big target photo is the group of 3. Then shot using 50g BH209 and it was very low left.

It was cold today in the low 40's. The barrel and moderator did not heat up much at all both staying well cool enough to the touch barely getting warm. This all silver needs to go. I don't want to hunt w/ this bright thing creating attention. Like my CVA wolf, I'm going to put some cammo over it. Especially the front.

I did all my shooting at 3X with my Nikon scope I also got on BF from basspro for $99 At 3x the bottom 25% of the scope shows the front of the moderator but you really don't lose any usable field of view.

You can see how dirty the brass insert tube gets when reloading.

Pro:
    Much reduced sound. Even at 100gr, it sounded like a 22LR High Velocity
    At 50g it was like a loud CO2 airsoft.
    very little smoke. Through the scope, you can almost immediately see your target.
    I like the 2 stage trigger with the light 2nd stage pull.
    Accurate and I have not even started to try to tweek anything.

Con:
    Front heavy.
    Long (the added length may be painful in a blind)
    Big diameter moderator(they call it a moderator since it is not legally a suppressor/silencer)
    Reloading in a hunting stand is going to be down right awkward if not impossible.

This is NOT going to be everyone's cup of tee. YES, its very expensive. I will expect howver, if they are smart, they will look to sell the upper barrel assemblies only plus reloading kits for other guns for less.

My hunting area is in my back yard. My main purpose other than "why not" is to keep things low key and quiet for my neighbors. I had thought about getting a shotgun suppressor but had not seen that I could get a documented accuracy on any combination. I also thought (and was planning to) do a form 1 suppressor then thread my CVA. This was a lower priced gamble as I felt even if I did not like it I could offload it for about $600-$700 quickly. It was $899 shipped on Black Friday.

Now, if I was not hunting where I did not care about the sound, I'd just take the CVA wolf.

Some notes:
    I used regular shotgun reloading 209 primers, not the standard inline ML primers. I've always used those as magnums are recommended by BH209 but never found magnum 209 primers a couple years ago when I first got BH209. Yes, my BH209 is from 2 years ago.
    I put the loading tube in the moderator when cleaning. First time I used a dry patch from the breech end, it got stock in the moderator and had to use a long pair of skinny surgical clamps to fish it out.
    Dry fire and get used to the 2 stage trigger
    Loctite the screws
    It does not come with a weaver rail. gotta order a traditions rail. The allen heads on the traditions rail suck. Prone to slipping as they are not deep.
    The hard case is heavy as crap. Plus you pull it out from the top opposed to opening like most other gun cases.
    Its striker fired, I prefer a hammer cause I can be very quite pulling hammer back with finger on trigger. There is a tiny click that if I were very close to deer, it might hear (yes, It happened to me once pulling a hammer back). the click is subtle though so not a huge deal.
    It comes with a heavy sturdy all brass multi piece ramrod. and starter

Attachments

• maxim50rest.jpg
      maxim50rest.jpg
      89.4 KB · Views: 1,177
    • maxim50rack.jpg
      maxim50rack.jpg
      69.7 KB · Views: 1,155
    • maxim50table.jpg
      maxim50table.jpg
      80.8 KB · Views: 1,134
    • maxim50halfload.jpg
      maxim50halfload.jpg
      53.8 KB · Views: 1,155
    • maxim50100yd.jpg
      maxim50100yd.jpg
      37.4 KB · Views: 1,147
    Last edited:

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I applied cammo tape and blackened the front of the moderator. The scope mount needed adjusting so I had it out to adjust the scope this morning.
    340b37aa0e1c8f472fb43357f233d5c5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I have used this stuff on my other inline. The adhesive pretty much only sticks to the cloth. Not very rugged but it has served me well past few years. Not worried about that even if the moderator were to get hot.

Thx for the concern though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2701Jim

May 5, 2011
    Northern Baltimore County
    Don't worry about your BH209 being 2 years old. It has the same shelf live as a smokeless powder. I am finishing up a jar now that was opened 5 years ago and forgotten about. I have seen no drop in performance at the range at all-it is amazing stuff. Just my 2 cents.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Shoot I have 209 primers that are 10+ years old. One buddy told my wife to get me an inline as that Hawken I was using was too terribly primitive and no one should shoot something like that. :rolleyes: I used it one year and just didn't enjoy killing with it. Back to the Hawken and the daughter is now using my old inline. Not one primer has ever failed to fire. The way she is going on BP hunitng that pack of primers is going to last another 20 years. :D

On the cleaning, I have noticed with the inline and the Hawken, shooting BP with sabots and conicals I get fouling. With PRB the patch must clean old fouling on the way out each shot. I never have a problem shooting with a patch. I made 46 1/2" lubed durofelt wads and when it gets warmer I am going to try shooting the lee REAL conicals again. My hope is the wad scrubs the barrel as the patches do. It is my assumption that I have not practiced in reality yet. ;) I plan to try these in the the inline and hawken and see the results.

When I tried the REAL's before the emmerts lube I was using and powder fouled the gun so bad the third shot jambed trying to be stuffed. Had to pull it with the ramrod in a vice as my buddy couldn't hold on to it, it was that tight. I think the lube was not melting as was too stiff for black powder, IMO, plus was just collecting fouling more.

Maybe you should try some wads under the bullet? Worse case nothing gets better.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Archeryrob, Not sure you are replying to the rigth thread or not but I am not having an issue with accuracy and you can absolutely not use a wad in the Maxim. No sabots, no patches, no wads, nothing that separates. Accuracy I"m getting now is equivilant or better than my CVA wolf was. I might be able to fiddle some more on accuracy but what I have now more than suites my needs as I'm all below 100yards.

thx

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Shoot I have 209 primers that are 10+ years old. One buddy told my wife to get me an inline as that Hawken I was using was too terribly primitive and no one should shoot something like that. :rolleyes: I used it one year and just didn't enjoy killing with it. Back to the Hawken and the daughter is now using my old inline. Not one primer has ever failed to fire. The way she is going on BP hunitng that pack of primers is going to last another 20 years. :D

My 209 primers were purchased by my father about 30 years ago when he was a shot shell re loader. Never did anything special to store them and they go off everytime :thumbsup:

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    Awesome review, I remember you were looking at the Salvo 12. Let me know when you take out the Maxim again if you want to compare to the Salvo 12 and slugs. Looking at those groups you definitely have better accuracy.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Took my maxim 50 out today.

After I started out slowly, shoot, clean, shoot. I noticed the breach plug started to not tighten like it did at the beginning of the session. If this is the case, the M50 safety will not click into the fire position. It will not let you fire until you clean the breach plug. Its agreat thing, silencer co gives you everything you need (minus primer, powder and projectile), for and impromptu cleaning session at the range.

Cleaning is a snap with a garden hose, and a 28 gauge snake. Much easier than I anticipated.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Took my maxim 50 out today.

After I started out slowly, shoot, clean, shoot. I noticed the breach plug started to not tighten like it did at the beginning of the session. If this is the case, the M50 safety will not click into the fire position. It will not let you fire until you clean the breach plug. Its agreat thing, silencer co gives you everything you need (minus primer, powder and projectile), for and impromptu cleaning session at the range.

Cleaning is a snap with a garden hose, and a 28 gauge snake. Much easier than I anticipated.

Interesting.
    How was the accuracy?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    On this trip, after it got dirty about a 3 inch grouping using the either of the Copper and Lead Federal Premium® B.O.R. Lock projectiles.

I might my goal to get the rocks going in the right direction.

The next session (when I have time) will be more tuning.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    The gun cracks open like any other break action, such as a double barrel shotgun.

Once it is broke open, you can see the 209 primer, and breech plug.

ah wouldnt be legal here for hunting during muzzleloader only season. Stupid laws Idaho have it cant be a shotgun primer and it has to be open to the air/visible.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Some camo wraps are almost like a kling bandage only tacky enough to stick to them self

That is how this wrap stuff is.
    I also let things cool between shots so it does not melt to the moderator.
    Time for me to get it out again. ML season in 2 1/2 months or so!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom