• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Not quite, but I do think we are at a crisis similar to what happened in the late 1960s and early 1970s.

I'm getting the same feeling. And that 60's turmoil was followed by the malaise of the 70's, which in some ways, was even worse than the turmoil. The 70's were the societal equivalent of having a nasty hangover from someone else's partying binge. Gawd, what an awful decade.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I'm getting the same feeling. And that 60's turmoil was followed by the malaise of the 70's, which in some ways, was even worse than the turmoil. The 70's were the societal equivalent of having a nasty hangover from someone else's partying binge. Gawd, what an awful decade.

But there was disco!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    First to frame things , when people refer to " The Sixties " , it probably really means '66 -'72 , with a little tapering on each end .

By no means were "The Seventies " ( aka '74-'79 ) worse than the '60s , either culturally or politically .

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    The United Kingdom doesn’t really have a constitution. New Zealand doesn’t have a constitution. In a functioning democracy, you don’t need one.

In the UK they have demonstrable less freedom of press, be it from D notices, to libel laws. Ask yourself why there is less #metoo in the UK, Nz, Aus, Canada, and Europe in general. Because they are less misogynist? NOPE. the probative burdens on libel and defamation are inverted from the US in those places.

We worry here about patriot act, and especially massive widening in 2011 by Obama Patriot act II, but this type of surveillance of citizens is much broader and deeper outside of the US. In fact the UK is the second leading surveillance society among developed democracies (germany is tops by far). Also the types of evidence allowe din court are much broader too. heck those other countries virtually all allow double jeopardy as well.

Those countries don't just have less equivalent 2A rights, but less equivalent 1A, 4A, 5A and 6A rights.

This article was total horsehockey. the UK voted by majority in controlling referendum to leave the EU. Half their parliament is actively submarining negotiations to do so in a direct effort to subvert negotiations to do so.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    In the UK they have demonstrable less freedom of press, be it from D notices, to libel laws. Ask yourself why there is less #metoo in the UK, Nz, Aus, Canada, and Europe in general. Because they are less misogynist? NOPE. the probative burdens on libel and defamation are inverted from the US in those places.

We worry here about patriot act, and especially massive widening in 2011 by Obama Patriot act II, but this type of surveillance of citizens is much broader and deeper outside of the US. In fact the UK is the second leading surveillance society among developed democracies (germany is tops by far). Also the types of evidence allowe din court are much broader too. heck those other countries virtually all allow double jeopardy as well.

Those countries don't just have less equivalent 2A rights, but less equivalent 1A, 4A, 5A and 6A rights.

This article was total horsehockey. the UK voted by majority in controlling referendum to leave the EU. Half their parliament is actively submarining negotiations to do so in a direct effort to subvert negotiations to do so.

He's right, you know. :thumbsup:

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    I have't read it yet, but I will. In the mean time I wonder where Ms Franks stands on civil rights.

Mary Anne Franks is a professor at the University of Miami School of Law, president of the Cyber Civil Rights Initiative, and the author of The Cult of the Constitution: Our Deadly Devotion to Guns and Free Speech.

Cpt. Karma

Sep 13, 2019
    When the law professor talks about having a surgeon use old tools & NASA using old charts ..... ( I’m not religious) but I think the students should have said it’s more like how would like you Priest,Rabbi, etc. teaching/living by those older written documents & they seem to be holding up fairly well. Just a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom