• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    I have an old S&W .38 Special, Victory Revolver. It has a parkerized finish. It was made during the period of WWII (1942 - 1945) and the serial # V21XXXX tells me that it was one of the earlier production models. There are no "U S Gov" markers on it which tells me that it was most likely issued for guard duty in the states or for Merchant Marine usage. There were some unmarked 4 inch revolvers that were issued to the OSS.

I would like to know if anyone has any information on what these may be worth to a collector.

Thanks for your replies in reference.

RD

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    No idea Dawg but it sure sounds cool. Post some pics when you get a chance.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I've been following Victory revolvers for awhile. Depending on condition, my guess at value is $400 to $700. They are currently undervalued, IMO. Original finish would help the value a lot. Most I've seen are crudely refinished.

rfawcs

Si Se Pwodway
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 15, 2008
    Waldorf, MD
    Not more than any other Model 10/M&P. Value is mostly determined by condition and any special markings, or an unusual variation.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    No idea Dawg but it sure sounds cool. Post some pics when you get a chance.
    When I get a chance... [chance obtained see below]
    Yeah man, you know the rules.
    Pics or it didn't happen. :bullhorn:
    See above... :thumbsup:
    I've been following Victory revolvers for awhile. Depending on condition, my guess at value is $400 to $700. They are currently undervalued, IMO. Original finish would help the value a lot. Most I've seen are crudely refinished.
    Original Parkerized finish - intact and in great condition.
    Not more than any other Model 10/M&P. Value is mostly determined by condition and any special markings, or an unusual variation.
    The Parkerized versions were issued to the Navy for the most part and are marked with the "U S Gov" identifier. A small number of the Parkerized pistols were issued, sans "U S Gov" markings, to Local Guard Units and Merchant Marines. That is what I have. The only deficiency is that it is lacking the lanyard loop that attaches to the butt of the frame. Otherwise it is in great shape.

Thanks for the "return mail".

IMG_0443.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    To further narrow it down, yours is probably a '42 or '43. In '44 they transitioned to improved transfer bar, and s/n's of VSxxxx .

Suggest you go to Smith-Wessonforum.com. Those folks will be able to give you a lot of information. If you go to Smith-Wesson.com, you can fill out the request for a factory history, pay your fee, and and in due course Mr. Jinks will write you back on official letterhead with the gun's whole history as known to the factory.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Suggest you go to Smith-Wessonforum.com. Those folks will be able to give you a lot of information. If you go to Smith-Wesson.com, you can fill out the request for a factory history, pay your fee, and and in due course Mr. Jinks will write you back on official letterhead with the gun's whole history as known to the factory.

Thanks... I already have the PDF for the request from S&W... But your help is appreciated.

101combatvet

BANNED!!!
    Dec 7, 2011
    I have an old S&W .38 Special, Victory Revolver. It has a parkerized finish. It was made during the period of WWII (1942 - 1945) and the serial # V21XXXX tells me that it was one of the earlier production models. There are no "U S Gov" markers on it which tells me that it was most likely issued for guard duty in the states or for Merchant Marine usage. There were some unmarked 4 inch revolvers that were issued to the OSS.

I would like to know if anyone has any information on what these may be worth to a collector.

Thanks for your replies in reference.

RD

The OSS had Victory Models in 2, 4, and 5 inch barrels. No way of telling what serial number ranges were delivered to the OSS. The grips may have been changed out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom