• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 05dodgedaytona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2009
    Cecil County
    I currently have a Parker crossbow. Since they are no longer in business, I am in the market for a new crossbow. I have been looking at Tenpoints a lot. What do you guys recommend? I see Ravin seems to have a strong following. Pros and Cons to getting a Ravin or Tenpoint? Thanks in advance.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Depends on how much $ or $$$$ you want to part with.

If there's nothing wrong with the Parker, why not use it. Use money saved for some more ammo, new hunting clothes, optics, etc.

But, if you're set on a new one. There's something to be said for the simplicity of the Excalibur line.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I like Excalibur. Simple recurve, I can change the string on it if I like, doesn't need to be tuned, I can take it down for travel/flying and has worked well for me.

Lots of great options out there and so long as you don't go low end I think you'll be fine.

Ravin I think take their own bolts which I see as a con for them.

05dodgedaytona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2009
    Cecil County
    Not sure what happened. They closed shop last December and they only honored warranties to only what already had claims in process when they closed. I shoot Parker and RedHot bolts. Having trouble finding replacement bolts. They seemed to be one of the only manufacturers that used capture knocks. To be honest I just want something from a company that is still in business.

Doitsouthstyle

Apr 4, 2012
    Baltimore County
    Another plus one for Excalibur here mine is a great shooter but quite a few years old and compared to compound crossbows it a bit wide but they have since designed narrower more “friendly” size bows and the simplicity of them is unbeatable.

SavageShooter

Jan 10, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    I have a Wicked Ridge Invader X4 also. Very happy with it. I bought it in Sept. '18 for $399 on sale. Fourth generation of the Invader redesigned in 2018. You don't have to go real expensive to have a good crossbow. Hard to beat a Ten Point or Wicked Ridge.

Abuck

Ultimate Member
    I didnt realize Parker closed shop. What happened?

The founder passed away in 2016, and it seems the family couldn’t, or just chose not to, keep the company going.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.newsleader.com/amp/2346999002

I have a Parker Cyclone crossbow, and really like it. I tried contacting them before they went out of business to see about buying some spare parts for it, such as limbs, but never heard back from them. So when something happens to this one, I’ll be in the market for a new one also.

eshoremd

May 22, 2014
    Pasadena
    Ive only shot a few xbows. In 2015 I purchased a Tenpoint Stealth FX4 and retired my Bowtech Tribute. I really like the xbow but was not happy with the scope. It was defective after one year. Tenpoint sent me a new one no questions asked but I replaced it with a 3-9x40 nikon and enjoy it much more. I prefer more magnification with the extra range.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    If you buy an expensive crossbow, you might as well get the Trijicon acog to match it.

TA50-C-400143_315-5d5c4eaf8f174-1944-1566330543.jpg

https://www.trijicon.com/products/product-family/trijicon-acog-xb-crossbow-sight

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    I just bought my first crossbow last Saturday, a CrossPoint Rage 415. It is only 12" wide when cocked. My first two shots at 25 yards I destroyed the bolts when the second shot slammed into the first one. So far I really like it and it gets really good reviews on line. Not as expensive as TenPoint or Ravin, so that was a plus to me.

slowpoke

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Annapolis
    I bought a used TenPoint Shadow on the classifieds earlier this year. I think I spent way too much time analyzing, wish I'd had it last season. I'd say you can't go wrong with a reputable brand.

Rus

MDS Supporter
    Nov 27, 2017
    No. Carroll County
    I believe Ten Point is as good as, and a better value than, a Ravin. Both offer excellent features ; maybe shoot them both and pick the one you like better...

timbo76

Oct 13, 2018
    Perry Hall
    I have a Ten Point Stealth FX4, 4 years and still dropping deer. Using Ten Point Pro Elite arrows and 100gr Grim Reaper broadheads. I would definitely recommend anything in the TP family.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom