• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SolomonsCommune

Tomato Grower
    Mar 28, 2013
    Calvert County
    The first handgun I purchased when I turned 21 was a .357 revolver with a 2 in barrel. 24 years later, I still have an shoot that pistol, but I want something with a bigger barrel. In the next month or two I'd like to pick one up. I've been dreaming of a 586 with a 6 inch barrel for years, but I often wonder if any of you that own 6 inch barreled revolvers prefer 4 inches instead.

Although my heart is set on a 586, I most likely will buy a Taurus 66 due to price difference. Just wondering if I should go with the 4 in vs the 6 in.
    I'm only going to be using it for target shooting but don't want to regret my barrel length decision ha...

Thanks for any advice.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    I personally don’t like a 6 inch barrel on a 357. I think that 4 inch models are optimal particularly in a L frame size. It’s a balance thing for me. I think K frame in 6 inch is much more comfortable than in an L frame. I shoot very hot hand loads in my 357s and the 4 inch 686 handles them very well.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I love the 8" bbl on my old Dan Wesson, but with the 2" barrel, it's a bit of a beast.. :lol2:

Target shooting? The 8" no doubt, but don't even try to conceal carry that sucker! I'd go 6" for a target pistol in 357 personally. That said, I have never tried a 4" bbl on it..

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I've never regretted 6 inch and longer barrels on revolvers intended for target (or for hunting for that matter). But I've never owned longer tubes exclusively either.

If the 66 is what you intend to buy, try to rent or otherwise shoot an example of each barrel length. You're almost certain to have a preference. And there's really no better way to find out.

SolomonsCommune

Tomato Grower
    Mar 28, 2013
    Calvert County
    Thanks for the replies! One thing that makes me happy is looking at the Taurus website, it looks as though they've brought back the true blued finish vs the flat black parkerized like finish theyve had the past cpl years. At least I hope so.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    At one level , the longer sight radius would be an advantage .
    6 inch would be advantage if you ever wished to hunt with it in Md .
    6 inch harder to conceal , but with proper holster isn't too onerous to carry for field/ range use .

But main thing is your personal preference for balance . Very rough comparison is 4in 586 have similar balance to 6in M66 , while a 6in L frame would have a Python-esque balance . Some people Like that, matter of preference .

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Only setup where I don't like a 6" barrel is with a full underlug. Makes the revolver too nose heavy, for me anyway. 6" barrel with half underlug is very nice. Maybe the best of both worlds is the 5" Ruger GP100. I've got several 4" S&W and Ruger revolvers and all of them are great.

Don't buy the Taurus based on price. It's half the gun of the S&W and has poor resale value. You'd be better off buying a nice, used S&W or Ruger.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    While the 4 inch might be a little easier to carry, the 6 inch barrel is pretty unmatched for accuracy.

25442878_10159686131135585_733545694254388920_n.jpg

22728925_10159435475180585_5364061577104917565_n.jpg

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    *****I have a 586 with the 6 inch barrel and it's an absolute tack driver. The full lug under the barrel helps me with recoil control as well as the heavier recoil of .357 rounds versus .38's. The longer sight radius really helps for shots at 25 yards or more using the stock iron sights. I've seen several 586's on sale relatively recently for $600 ish. They are a bit less expensive than the 686. The $600 ish is for used (previously owned!) btw..

Mr H

Banana'd
    I have a GP100 with a 6", and while I really like it at the range, it is pretty unwieldy to lug around and probably a net negative in a CQ/HD situation. Plus, the wife can't keep the muzzle on plane if she had to.

I'm tempted to change it out to a shorter option.

For the Missus, I got her a 4" GP100, and she's much more comfortable there.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    6" full underlug GP100 was my first gun (still have, love it). REALLY tames big loads compared to shorter and lighter bbls. Only regret is that it doesn't come in 8".

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Of course you would post ha! I've had a crush on your S&W for awhile. Is that a nickel 586 or is that a 686? And it looks like you swapped the grips.

Again, thanks for all the advice guys.

It's a nickel 586 (no dash) from 1984. I used some Amazon gift cards and got the wood Hogue grips. The down side of them is they are smooth and I can't get a good handhold on them. Factory stocks are back on.

And, yes, I carry it now and again.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    This was my first handgun.Taurus 689. I purchased it when I was 18 ( over 30 years ago) up in Parkville. I can't remember the name of that place but I see it mentioned once in a while on here. My best friend bought one the same day. I recently put the Hogue grips on it because the wood ones are a bit small for my hands and the associated recoil. I like the 6" but I think I would like the 4" as well.

Attachments

• Taurus.jpg
      Taurus.jpg
      84.1 KB · Views: 327

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    This was my first handgun.Taurus 689. I purchased it when I was 18 ( over 30 years ago) up in Parkville. I can't remember the name of that place but I see it mentioned once in a while on here. My best friend bought one the same day. I recently put the Hogue grips on it because the wood ones are a bit small for my hands and the associated recoil. I like the 6" but I think I would like the 4" as well.

Walter's Gun Chamber or Valley Gun Shop?
    I bought my 686 from Walter's around 1985

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    Bought my first 357 at Walt’s back in the early 90’s. I miss all the old local shops.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    The first handgun I purchased when I turned 21 was a .357 revolver with a 2 in barrel. 24 years later, I still have an shoot that pistol, but I want something with a bigger barrel. In the next month or two I'd like to pick one up. I've been dreaming of a 586 with a 6 inch barrel for years, but I often wonder if any of you that own 6 inch barreled revolvers prefer 4 inches instead.

Although my heart is set on a 586, I most likely will buy a Taurus 66 due to price difference. Just wondering if I should go with the 4 in vs the 6 in.
    I'm only going to be using it for target shooting but don't want to regret my barrel length decision ha...

Thanks for any advice.

I actually prefer 6" barrel for .357 Magnum revolvers, although, I might feel differently were I an LEO that had to carry one all day at work. My revolver shooting is limited to hunting, target and plinking and a 6" barrel works very well for all three of those purposes. That extra couple inches of sight radius can make a huge difference when engaging long range targets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom