• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Heard back from George
    Thanks. I'd like his take on the "two loads" question too as long as we are getting free expert legal advice! Quick googling I can't find anything similar to see if there is any case law on similar code. I guess on the side of caution that means one reload even on revolver.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I will send you a PM with his email.

ETA-I reread the rule on ammunition and it refers to pistol, so according to most definitions, a revolver and a pistol are not the same thing.

The use of the word THAT refers to pistols and may may exclude revolvers. IANAL

Another gray area.

Attachments

• ammo.jpg
      ammo.jpg
      27.6 KB · Views: 145

Chaim

Aug 10, 2008
    Columbia
    If it is not worth it to you then don't get it. Simple.

Still deciding on that, and this thread has been helpful in clearing some things up. Right now, I'm leaning towards not getting the DC permit while I'm living in MD and carrying once or twice a month in VA. The utility of the permit may not be worth the hassle. However, if MD ever gets forced by the courts to go shall issue, or more likely, I move to NOVA (depending upon how my next round of job applications go, I'll hopefully be moving to NOVA or York PA at the end of this school year), I'll probably get it since I'll be near DC with a gun on me far more often than is the case now. Also, if I move to NOVA (or Montgomery County) I'll probably spend more time in DC deliberately and it might become worthwhile to have for when I plan to be in DC.

Chaim

Aug 10, 2008
    Columbia
    I will send you a PM with his email.

ETA-I reread the rule on ammunition and it refers to pistol, so according to most definitions, a revolver and a pistol are not the same thing.

The use of the word THAT refers to pistols and may may exclude revolvers. IANAL

Another gray area.

I think a revolver is counted as a pistol. Many people call revolvers pistols (I usually call the two main types autos and revolvers, but to me, any handgun is a pistol), and they fit the historic definition of a pistol (a gun that can be held with one hand), though they do not seem to fit the ATF's definition. So, it may be a slightly gray area to carry a revolver instead of an autopistol (to use a rather antiquated term for them), but will probably be OK. The law you quote with the single reload limit is more concerning for me. I usually only carry one reload, especially when carrying 20 or more rounds with the one mag in the gun and one reload, though now that I'm back to carrying variations on the 1911 I've been thinking about a third reload (the single stack means it isn't too bulky unlike carrying two 15 round 40S&W M&P mags, and they don't carry as many rounds to begin with). Even if I never do carry more than one reload, I still don't like that limit, it seems awfully arbitrary and unnecessary (though that is true of most DC and MD gun laws).

Edit:
    Upon further inspection of the section you quote, I don't think that would limit you to only an autopistol even if they were going by the ATF definition of a pistol that seems to exclude revolvers. In that case, it seems that it would exempt revolvers from the 1 reload/20 round limit. Though, they may limit you to autopistols elsewhere in the law if they do follow the definitions of pistol that do not include revolvers.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I disagree The definition from US Code 18 U.S.C., § 921(A)(29) and 27 CFR § 478.11 does indeed separate pistols and revolvers. A court would ask the same question. What is a pistol? Not a revolver by definition.

A pistol is a handgun but not all handguns are pistols. A revolver does not meet the definition of pistol.

Statute Definition:

Pistol. A weapon originally designed, made, and intended to fire a projectile (bullet) from one or more barrels when held in one hand, and having (a) a chamber(s) as an integral part(s) of, or permanently aligned with, the bore(s); and (b) a short stock designed to be gripped by one hand and at an angle to and extending below the line of the bore(s).

So IMO and IANAL a revolver would be exempt from the reg as its NOT a pistol by definition. I have to assume DC would have been aware of the difference when the reg was promulgated. And because the reg does not address them by name, IMO they are exempt from the ammo limit and the reload limit.

But as always IANAL. JMO.

Attachments

• pistol 1.jpg
      pistol 1.jpg
      61.9 KB · Views: 119
    • pistol 2.jpg
      pistol 2.jpg
      71.5 KB · Views: 115
    • pistol3.jpg
      pistol3.jpg
      6.4 KB · Views: 113

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Not that it is a hill of beans for this permit (maybe it does though) LEOSA has your carry firearm listed as either a PISTOL, a REVOLVER or BOTH.

If you want to carry a semi, you qualify with your PISTOL. If you want to carry a revolver, you qual with your REVOLVER. If you want to be able to carry either, you have to qual with BOTH.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    NV used to make you list on your permit each type and caliber firearm you qualified with both pistol or revolver or both. NV stopped doing this but they recognize the difference. Based on this and my definition above I don’t think the DC reg is any different. But IANAL

I don’t think the reload or ammo limit applies to revolvers but just my non legal opinion

YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom