• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    I bumped about a dozen does on my way in. Then when the neighbor got in, he bumped a 10pt right passed my stand......i just hadnt quite climbed it yet!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Been too warm/too wet to hunt...

...but I’m going to get my license this Wednesday and verify my TC Arms Omega’s zero.

Lady out in Woodbine is begging me to kill the deer that are occupying her territory. As always, I am happy to oblige.

Pics upcoming once I get back into the thick of it. :thumbsup:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    No luck. Just the two I bumped on the way in. Plus three huge Toms. A big fox that came by around 4:15. And it was back at 6pm. A squirrel. Only a couple of birds. Oh and two big coons in twiglight on the way out.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    ...but I’m going to get my license this Wednesday and verify my TC Arms Omega’s zero.

Lady out in Woodbine is begging me to kill the deer that are occupying her territory. As always, I am happy to oblige.

Pics upcoming once I get back into the thick of it. :thumbsup:

If you need a partner...I am not far and always happy to reduce the deer population :D

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Ive had pictures of her for two years. First time ive seen her in the woods
    232358504e827344ed8ed6b778edea43.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Came back from taking my cat to the emergency vet (damned cat got another blockage. His days are numbered unfortunately). Found 4 big does sleeping in my yard. Too bad it was 2am. I had to walk within about 20 feet of them with my flash light before they finally got up and sauntered off

At least I found where the deer had been “near me” (Park is a mile from my house) *eyeroll*

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    First time hunting Sika. Was a little hot and thought the skeeters were going to suck me dry, but manage this little guy. Caught him growling at another smaller buck. Seems they are pre-rut, think males are ready but females have not come in yet.

Attachments

• 20181009_200412.jpg
      20181009_200412.jpg
      51.8 KB · Views: 245

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    First time hunting Sika. Was a little hot and thought the skeeters were going to suck me dry, but manage this little guy. Caught him growling at another smaller buck. Seems they are pre-rut, think males are ready but females have not come in yet.

Congratulations.

Are sika normally that brown?

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County

Nice!!! One of the best eating animals on the planet! Veal of Elk!!!

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Congratulations.

Are sika normally that brown?
    The stags are dark brown to very dark brown, you have to look pretty hard to see their spots (yup, they too have ‘em). Plus they are an elk, so they actually do wallow in the mud, making them really brown & kinda smelly sometimes. The does (I don’t care to call them “hines”) are much lighter in color and their spots are more visible. Very much agree with everyone here, the best game meat I’ve had outside of moose.

If you have the time, don’t mind driving a ways to get to where they live, and don’t mind donating a third of your blood supply to the local mosquito population, a sika deer of either sex is a decent hunter trophy and a pile of protein that tastes 2nd to none. Good luck.

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    My season has been pretty crappy so far. I'm only able to get out in the woods on Saturdays and half of those the weather hasn't cooperated. I did managed to drop this little guy last night though.

Attachments

• Picture1014181035_1.jpg
      Picture1014181035_1.jpg
      17.7 KB · Views: 305
    • Picture1014181700_1.jpg
      Picture1014181700_1.jpg
      31.8 KB · Views: 308

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Finally made it into a stand Saturday evening at the family farm. Didn't see anything on stand got down just early enough to stalk my way back to the barn between the corn and soybean fields. It paid off with a small doe.

Attachments

• 20181013_193122-800x389.jpg
      20181013_193122-800x389.jpg
      64.8 KB · Views: 284

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    After 50-60 hour work weeks since early august, I finally got a chance today to get into the woods with my bow. I found a fresh downed tree from the recent storm that I turned into a ground blind. It was right near a good deer path leading to a stream. No deer until walking out then jumped a buck out of his bedding. It was so nice being in the woods.
    Also noticed the acorns are big and plentiful this year due to all the rain. There should be some big bodied deer this year and plenty of fawns this spring.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Saturday while picking up the new puppy in NOVA, watched an 8 pts make a scrap and stand up to kick the branch. Rut still be here soon I think

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Trying to wrestle with my ML to see if my changes/fixes will get it zeroed. Going to take off work at lunch time to do it. If it goes well and fast enough I am headed to Patuxent afterward to try to find a location or two to hang my stand Thursday morning. Maybe I will jump a deer while poking around (taking my crossbow with me).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom