• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Sorry for the noob AR questions, but here's another one :D
    Assuming you have a place to shoot full auto, what would be the disadvantages to building your AR that way, other than having to pay the annual tax?

In order to build a full auto AR you have to have a full auto seer which was registered before 1986. It will still cost $200 for the tax stamp.
    ALso, the federal tax is a one time thing for the tax stamp and is not annual. The MD ten dollar annual charge is not a tax it is a registration fee.

Papi4baby

WWJBD
    May 10, 2009
    California
    In order to build a full auto AR you have to have a full auto seer which was registered before 1986. It will still cost $200 for the tax stamp.
    ALso, the federal tax is a one time thing for the tax stamp and is not annual. The MD ten dollar annual charge is not a tax it is a registration fee.

Just to clarify a bit. It is not the sear that makes it legal but the lower reciever on the AR has to be a register machine gun part. Manufature prior to 1986. Depending on quality of the part, they will start at around 10k and all teh way to 20k or maybe even more, depending on the weapon.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Just to clarify a bit. It is not the sear that makes it legal but the lower reciever on the AR has to be a register machine gun part. Manufature prior to 1986. Depending on quality of the part, they will start at around 10k and all teh way to 20k or maybe even more, depending on the weapon.

Actually you can buy a seer registered as the machine gun and drop it in any lower. There are two ways to have a "machince gun", a registered lower/reciever/frame, and the registered drop in seer.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    go to http://www.sturmgewehr.com and look at the NFA market board to find full auto stuff.. expensive. There's an M16A1 for $14,500. Not really for the 1st time AR guy. Plus it takes a long time for the paper work..

saltydog

Thank You NRA
    Feb 13, 2009
    The State of confusion
    The gun's owner let people fire hundreds of rounds that day. :party29:

He said he bought the rounds when they were super cheap a number of years ago. Here is a video of more full auto at that range that day:

Now they looked like they had some fun that day! And who says those little girls can't shoot? Most of the gal's are the ones who looked like they had a lot of control when they were shooting some of the full automatic weapons.

And if the person who owned the .50 Cal paid out of pocket for others to shoot his weapon, that says a lot about them. Not only do they enjoy being able to shoot, it looks like they enjoy watching others shoot as well.

Great Video, Thanks for sharing.

saltydog

Thank You NRA
    Feb 13, 2009
    The State of confusion
    With some major help from Kbuddy who let me shoot his AR this past weekend at Sanners Lake, I found the AR that was calling me. After putting a few rounds down range, and listening to Kbuddy who has tons of experience dealing with the AR's; his suggestion was you can't go wrong with a Colt!

So I ended up at The Tackle Box in St Mary's on Saturday with kbuddy just looking at a Colt H-bar, and ended up back there on Sunday looking at the Colt AR-15 LE by myself. Going back to what I have recently learned, I ended up purchasing the Colt.

No photos yet because I have to wait the 7 days, but soon enough I'll get you some. I ended up buying a Colt there. I figured by the time I found someone who could order it, pay shipping and the FFL charge; I'd do almost as well purchasing the rifle locally.

Thanks for everyones help with information. I did check with the Gun Connection, but the ride would have been at least 1-1/2 to 2 hours each way, so I just kept it close. Dan did have some great start out pricing, it was just too far of a drive for me, and other shops had these in stock that are lots closer. Had I been closer, I definitely would most likely have purchased a rifle from Dan @ the Gun Connection.

The sorry point of all of this is Calvert only has one FFL in the whole County, and he doesn't stock anything. So my money went to another County. Oh well, you snooze; you loose.

Thanks again everyone for your suggestions and help.

pooh67br

Mar 29, 2012
    Cecil County
    The only part I may be able to help is the legal part (I am not a lawyer). All AR15 rifles are legal in MD even full auto and short barreled ARs are legal. However the SBR and the full auto must have the federal tax stamp. The full auto also has to be registered with the state of MD once a year for ten dollars (short barreled does not).

I notice that all posts in this thread were in 2009. Is there any change of the law for purchasing AR-15 after 2009? how much cheaper if buyers build the rifles themselves?

cow goes mooo

Huh? What?...
    Mar 26, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    I notice that all posts in this thread were in 2009. Is there any change of the law for purchasing AR-15 after 2009? how much cheaper if buyers build the rifles themselves?

Depends on what you want. If you plan on building one or ordering one through a shop; plan on a couple months of wait time. All the parts makers are experiencing a frenzy of orders due to the election year and are severely back ordered. Most parts makers are trying to full fill vendor/ shop orders and then individual customer orders.

If you are planning on buy one at a shop, usually you can find them. I know I went to a couple of shops in the past months and they had AR 15s in stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom