• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    MKA 1919 Match AR Shotgun - UPDATE

I wanted to pick up a mag fed semi for shooting shotgun matches and 3 Gun open class. The options are pretty slim; I went with an MKA 1919 Match based on reputation and guns I've seen at matches.

I must say I'm impressed. I was expecting it to need a lot of buffing and polishing (the early models had a lot of tooling marks inside), and more than a few parts to replace, but the fit and finish of this gun is pretty good. The action is as smooth as any shotgun I've used (way better than most current run Remingtons I've seen) with no tooling marks or gaps. The only thing about it so far is that the trigger pull is a little heavy for my tastes; feels ~9 lbs. There's no creep, but it's too heavy for me.

I'm going to the range tomorrow with 100 rounds of buckshot to break it in. I'll update if there are any issues.

2015-08-14%2016.42.10_zpsylw5aydo.jpg

Last edited:

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    UPDATE - Range Report

I went to the range today and fired a variety of ammo through the gun, using all three 10 rounders and both 5 rounders.

I shot:

- 40 rounds of Fiocchi Low Recoil 1 oz slugs (these hang up in my very-reliable FN SLP)
    - 20 rounds of Winchester Winlite 1 oz slugs
    - 50 rounds of Remington Nitro Sporting 2 3/4
    - 50 rounds of Walmart Federal #8
    - 25 rounds of Remington buckshot

The only failures were two rounds of the Fiocchi (which I blame on the ammo; this ammo is out of spec and won't cycle in my FN SLP), and two other rounds that didn't load because I overloaded the mag (more on that below.)

A few observations:

- The gun has more felt recoil then most other gas operated shotguns I've shot (including my 11-87 and my FN SLP.) Not significantly more, but definitely noticeable. It could be because the gun is light (~7 lbs), or because it has a pistol grip, which I'm not used to for a semi auto shotgun.

- With slugs at 50 yards, this gun is rifle-accurate with cheap, low-recoil rifled slugs. 10 shots were one large jagged hole in the bullseye at 50 yards. I could definitely easily hit an 8" paper plate at 100 yards, repeatedly. (I never thought cheap rifled slugs could be that accurate.)

-Shotguns get really hot really fast.

- I was most surprised about the cheapo Walmart Federal's. I expected a hiccup, FTF, or FTL, but all 50 went without incident.

- The 10 round mags can actually hold 11 rounds, but if you do that, the gun will choke on the first round. As long as you only load 10 rounds in the 10 rounder, it works flawlessly.

- My shoulder is going to hurt tomorrow. I brought another 75 rounds of buckshot, but the gun was really hot, it was really hot outside, and I was getting sore.

This gun is a blast to shoot. I can't speak to long-term durability, but would definitely recommend one, for the money.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Most of the guys who buy those send them to a guy in VA who rebuilds them for 3-gun. I understand that for $1800 you get the shotgun and all the mods (whatever they are). That is what my 3man teammate did and apparently this guy is the goto gunsmith for the MKA1919.
    Walmart Fed 100 shell valupacks are the primary 3-gun ammo for my Mossberg 930 JMP. Works 100% unlike the Win 100 valuepacks which did not.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Most of the guys who buy those send them to a guy in VA who rebuilds them for 3-gun. I understand that for $1800 you get the shotgun and all the mods (whatever they are). That is what my 3man teammate did and apparently this guy is the goto gunsmith for the MKA1919.
    Walmart Fed 100 shell valupacks are the primary 3-gun ammo for my Mossberg 930 JMP. Works 100% unlike the Win 100 valuepacks which did not.

I don't know who works on them in Virginia. The two big 1919 aftermarket groups are Firebird Precision (NM?) and Tooth and Nail (MO).

Walmart Federal's are my go-to as well (FN SLP for Tacops and Remington 870 for Heavy Metal.) I like Winlite slugs for matches, when I can find them.

Since it seemed pretty reliable with a variety of ammo on my first range trip, I think I'll shoot it as-is for a while and see how it does (swap out enough parts to make it 922r compliant.) I just ordered a 24 round mag for those long shotgun only stages :party29:. I have a shotgun-only match in October (6 stages, 160 pieces of steel) that it should be perfect for.

tn024.jpg

http://www.toothandnailarmory.com/product/TN024.html

Oh, and also discovered that the 1919 will take my Briley choke tubes from the FN!

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I thought mag fed shotguns were limited to 10 round mags in open division?
    Just checked and apparently no longer any limits at all in 3GN or USPSA for shotgun and no limit in length for pistol mags either in Open/Unlimited. Maybe time to get that 33rd mag for my Glock 34.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I just noticed the rules for the PCR division. Interesting. You can use a 5.7x28 AR which has 50 rd mags available and the FN 57 pistol which has 30 rd mags available. Doesn't Saiga make a version of their shotgun in 20ga?

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I just noticed the rules for the PCR division. Interesting. You can use a 5.7x28 AR which has 50 rd mags available and the FN 57 pistol which has 30 rd mags available. Doesn't Saiga make a version of their shotgun in 20ga?

I've seen the 20 gauge and the .410 versions.

ETA Someone has a 20 gauge Saiga for sale in the classifieds here. Not me.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I thought mag fed shotguns were limited to 10 round mags in open division?

My two local monthly 3G matches follow FNH and IMG rules, respectively. No mag limits for shotguns (although pistols are still limited to 170mm.) They are local matches, so no one gets too upset if the equipment rules aren't *strictly* followed. For instance, IMG rules limits HM rifle mags to 20 rounds, but if you run 25 rounders, no one cries "foul".

Last edited:

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    My two local monthly 3G matches follow FNH and IMG rules, respectively. No mag limits for shotguns (although pistols are still limited to 170mm.) They are local matches, so no one gets too upset if the equipment rules aren't *strictly* followed. For instance, IMG rules limits HM rifle mags to 20 rounds, but if you run 25 rounders, no one cries "foul".
    3GN has switched the name from Open to Unlimited and now this is no restriction on mag length for any firearm legal in that division.
    I agree most club matches tend to look the otherway if you show up with an incorrectly equipped firearm, except for full auto.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I've seen the 20 gauge and the .410 versions.

ETA Someone has a 20 gauge Saiga for sale in the classifieds here. Not me.
    Thing is can you get the same mods for the 20ga as the 12ga. I am only thinking like I could put together a much lighter set of firearms for a 3-gun match that allowed this division.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom