• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    So I have been thinking about these situations lately and getting a little more prepared. It hit me that once I was out of contacts and my glasses broke I would be up a creek. So has anyone had LASIK or the like so it makes SHTF easier? I guess this is more about long term situations but I was thinking. Any thoughts?

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Polycarbonate lenses are cheap enough, especially if you order them online. Assuming your prescription doesn't change radically between now and TEOTWAWKI, invest in spare pairs of low-cost eyeglasses now and store them someplace safe. Polycarbonate goggles (the kind with the rubber strap that goes around your head) are cheap, too. I found that out when I purchased a pair for swimming.

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    You could have an unlimited supply of glasses, but not needing glasses would be better don't you think? What happens if you get punched in the face and they fall off. Got a spare set? Cool, but it isn't on your face.

bryanjusmc

Celer Silens Mortalis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Edgemere
    I was nearsighted and had astigmatism. I had lasik done in 2005 and have not regretted it one day since. The procedure is very quick and easy and I can imagine they have made advancements since then. Most practices still have a free eligibility exam to my knowledge and if you would like a referral to the doctor I used I would be happy to pass along the information. IIRC my total price was around $2800-$3500 for both eyes and they had an in house financing program. I was 19 at the time and had essentially no credit and got a very low interest rate.. I don't even think they check your credit. I believe they just want to see that your working or have some kind of income.. My payments worked out to about $100/mo for 36mo. From time to time I still get mailings with coupons to give to people to refer them, usually something like $100-$200 off each eye if you have your procedure with them, I will look for some if you like the pass them along as well. If you have any questions about the procedure itself or anything else PM me.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Fixed it for ya ...

i plan on just beating up the liberal/progressive nerds and dweebs and taking their glasses.

Us conservative boomers with age-related vision impairments would appreciate some slack ... he said while pushing his frames back onto his nose. :innocent0

SamW

Apr 2, 2007
    Western Md
    This is a very valid concern when looking at it from a long term persepective. If you can afford Lasik seems like it would be money well spent.

Feb 11, 2012
    Eden, MD
    On the shtf topic, yes I have a spare pair of glasses been telling Gummy he should get some and thats just common sense for the everyday situation. I have only thought about lasix and gone no further than thinking. Yesterday at Walmart, it was bat poop crazy and all we are expecting is 1" of snow and this is a rural area, so I can imagine what a real TEOTWAWKI/SHTF scenario would be like and not so sure if anyone would ever truly be prepared for it. No matter what the real scenario would be there is always the crazy human factor to add in, even folks you'd trust.

I work for Walmart and during the whole welfare shopping week, bad weather expected or holiday nearing it is total lunacy so just think what it will be like come December of this year when people start thinking about the Mayan Calendar. All I can say is glad I work in the backroom and not the sales floor.

Oh and by the way I paid less for my two pairs of glasses at walmart optical without eye glass insurance than I did for one pair with insurance at Accurate Optical. Just saying...

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    So I have been thinking about these situations lately and getting a little more prepared. It hit me that once I was out of contacts and my glasses broke I would be up a creek. So has anyone had LASIK or the like so it makes SHTF easier? I guess this is more about long term situations but I was thinking. Any thoughts?

I had LASIK 14 years ago (1998) and I was 30 at the time, but not for a TEOTWAWKI reason... However it is the best thing I ever did for myself ($4,000 USC medical center). The difference was staggering (I couldn't see more than a few feet without my glasses) I was blessed with 20/10 vision following 2 surgeries (first one under-corrected me to 20/200) for reference, my vision was essentially 20/1600 without glasses.

In a TEOTWAWKI situation prior to LASIK without my glasses? I would have been in serious, serious trouble.

Water for Elephants and Glasses

Saw a 60-minutes special on the U.N. passing out cheap glasses in East Africa. The lenses were filled with varying amounts of water. You may want to research this. Found this blurb:

Dr. Silver has devised a pair of glasses which rely on the principle that the fatter a lens the more powerful it becomes. Inside the device's tough plastic lenses are two clear circular sacs filled with fluid, each of which is connected to a small syringe attached to either arm of the spectacles.

The wearer adjusts a dial on the syringe to add or reduce amount of fluid in the membrane, thus changing the power of the lens. When the wearer is happy with the strength of each lens the membrane is sealed by twisting a small screw, and the syringes removed. The principle is so simple, the team has discovered, that with very little guidance people are perfectly capable of creating glasses to their own prescription.

Full article here:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2008/dec/22/diy-adjustable-glasses-josh-silver

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    This is a great point, something I was thinking about a couple months ago. Not for glasses but about my health. I have chronic sinuitus and $8 a month of generic suedophedrin keeps me going. Without it I get sinus infections, need antibiotics or I am screwed. All the food, water and stockpiled ammo isnt going to help meet my need for a cheap generic drug I can get at walmart.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

knightofcydonia

Sep 30, 2011
    Luckily I don't have to worry about this issue but my gf on the other hand does. LASIK is expensive and can have its risks, I've been looking into a few pairs of bomb proof quality glasses for her just for this type of situation. Your best option stock up on lenses and solution. If shtf outlasts your stuff, you've got bigger problems

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Gamer look into some natural ways to fight the sinuses..try em out you may be surprised what you find...

I tried the Nettipot, last time I felt it coming on. The next week I had the worse sinus infection Ive ever had. Could have been a coincidence but not willing to try it.

Afraid if I stockpile sudeophedrine the DEA will bust down my door.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Schwabe

Ultimate Member
    Nov 20, 2010
    Sho'a
    Lasik cannot correct age related eye problems, if you need glasses to read now, as I do now there is nothing Lasik can do.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Lasik cannot correct age related eye problems, if you need glasses to read now, as I do now there is nothing Lasik can do.

I'm not sure what they use other than a laser but there is "fix" for presbyopia where one eye is "corrected" for short distances and the other for farther away. A co-worker had this done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom