• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • takoma

Roving Bandito
    Apr 30, 2011
    Washington, DC
    Never owned a rimfire of any stripe, thought it was time to change all that. Bought a Savage Mark II FSS .22LR from BudsGunShop.com.

tGvd7Mo9l_YuKI6979t.png

Any recommendations on ammo or scope for this little guy?

I'm really really excited. Now I just have to get it through all the BS gun registration paperwork in DC.

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    Sweet. Probally end up being your most used rifle.
    Not because ammo's cheap,but because their so much fun.
    Look at the new Nikon BDC scope for 22's.:)

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Congrats, that should be a good’un.

As far as ammo, I have the small boxes of most of the popular brands (CCI Mini-Mags, Federal Auto match, Eley, etc) and let the rifle decide what it likes best. Then you know what to buy in bulk. I have that Mueller APV scope Schwabe mentioned. It is a great value.

Happy shooting.:thumbsup:

takoma

Roving Bandito
    Apr 30, 2011
    Washington, DC
    Thanks all for advice - that scope looks sweet. Like that it's a silver finish. It'll look slick with the SS barrel on that rifle.

robmints

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2011
    You will probably need to go on the net for ammo. I would get some cci standard velocity at dicks for $25 and break it in. I would not worry about any fancy break in, maybe just clean new with a patchworm. A wet one followed by a few dry, if the third dry one comes out clean and dry, you are good. I would do that after every 50 or so for the fist brick, but it is not necessary. Make sure to clean it well before use though. Go on the net and get yourself a patchworm. That will be fine to start with. The proshot 1 inch patches are great. Plain old hoppes #9 is hard to beat for cleaning. Proshot makes a nice rod, and you should have a bore guide, possum hollow makes one. But a bore guide is a good thing even though you will only use it once every 4 bricks of ammo or so.

Ammo. CCI sv below 40 degrees. SK+ or Wolf MT above 40. SK and wolf have fallen off a little lately, but I would stick with them, they do go up and down but I don't think it is worth chasing a perfect round unless you are competing. Oh and don't just shoot ammo dropped in the dirt, or thrown on the table without making double sure it is cleaned off.

It is a nice rifle and worth doing this extra stuff. And I would stick with the standard velocity rounds, below 1100 fps, it will maximize accuracy. If you need to go hotter, rounds like CCI Blazer are well thought of and reasonable. No stingers, velociters, ect. If you want a hotter round, just get a 22 magnum or 22 hornet (not RF but smallish), they are made to stay supersonic for the ranges most people use a 22 rimfire for.

If it was mine I would take care of it and not treat it like a beater, it is a nice rifle and capable of better accuracy than most.

Guys, don't beat me up too bad. I just think things like a bore guide when rod cleaning, limiting rod cleaning with the use of a patchworm, and using lubed subsonic ammo is a little easier on the barrel. Even if you use HV rounds you still would not shoot out a 22lr barrel in 100,000 rounds or more, but why go fast when you don't need to.

You are lucky that it comes with mounts, they can be a pain to get correct on the MarkII. I like the Burris Signature Zees from JoeBob too. That Mueller is recommended by a lot of people, everyone that buys them seems to like them. I think the crosshairs are a little fat for target shooting, but it depends on what you are going to do with it. Another to consider if you are target shooting is:http://clearidgeoptics.com/default.aspx?act=pro&opt=detail&id=832

Have fun with your new rifle!!

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    Nice rilittle rifle! I have one and it shoots pretty well....although my .17 hmr is just waay too accurate to get most of my range time!

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    My MkII likes a diet of SK Std+ ammo. It's very accurate, and also extremely quiet when paired with a suppressor.

Ganegrei

Comblock Convert
    Jun 23, 2011
    Somewhere in BoCo
    I have one of those with a Walnut thumbhole stock and blued heavy barrel. The accutrigger is amazing and it is a great shooter, but heavy. Definately a bench gun.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Congrats! Youre gonna love it!

As for glass, check out the Mueller APV or APT. Great glass for the money.

Mueller APT pictured below:
    IMAG0148.jpg

BTW, CCI Standard Velocity is extremely accurate through this rifle. And spooky quiet when suppressed.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    I don't think my barrel is threaded for a suppressor. Regardless, I believe it's illegal for me to own a suppressor in DC.

I was just showing you what the Mueller looks like when mounted to the rifle. Definitely go with an SS scope. You're gonna love the Savage.

takoma

Roving Bandito
    Apr 30, 2011
    Washington, DC
    Very cool...

- did you install that rail?
    - how do you like the lead sled for heavier calibers?
    - is that a custom bolt charging handle?

Mega

Wolverine
    Feb 18, 2009
    Lewes, DE
    Very cool...

- did you install that rail?
    - how do you like the lead sled for heavier calibers?
    - is that a custom bolt charging handle?

The rail is a Power Custom piece sourced from Hawktech Arms.
    http://www.hawktecharms.com/Ruger-10-22-Parts-and-Accessories-s/1.htm

The Lead Sled is great for almost any caliber where you are sighting in a new scope, or just trying to make very small groups for score in the SuperStock games on RFC.

The charging handle and mag release (and many of the internal parts) are from Rimfire Technologies.
    http://www.rimfiretechnologies.com/

Atec

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    Maryland
    I like the Burris Signature Zees from JoeBob too. That Mueller is recommended by a lot of people, everyone that buys them seems to like them. I think the crosshairs are a little fat for target shooting, but it depends on what you are going to do with it

I purchased the Muller SS from Joe Bob for the Savage 17hmr and SS Warne rings. That scope is worth twice the money I paid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom