• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    If anyone is wanting a stainless 357/38 SPL Rossi, they appear to be back in stock at KYGUNCO.com

https://kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=95118

Cash / Text-A-Check Price : $534.99

I paid a little less when I bought mine but that still seems like a good price. Mine seems to shoot very well and its operation is quite smooth. The fit and finish on mine is very good. No mismatched edges between the wood and the receiver, and no burrs or sharp edges on the metal parts. I had a chamber concern that Rossi fixed under warranty. I'm happy with mine.

This is from the thread I started back when I bought mine.

95118-M.jpg

I have one on its way to me now.

Mike

MDS Supporter
    As FYI

Here are my posts regarding the chamber/brass issue that was corrected under warranty.

This is what I could get a picture of on my rifle. All the debris in the last picture is lint from a tissue. The little “ditch” can be seen at the top of the feed ramp. I think that is the source of the crescent deformation in most of my brass. Note my 38 SPL and the 357 Fiocchi brass did not have the deformation.

9c6c6c69ff351f66e279671fb40ac2c7.jpg

541d4fb9b66cf383be9280c4336de570.jpg

25805f044cc727b62b32e8cb3ce81e7c.jpg

825a413bc052f9b845a0bad860ec7cfd.jpg

On Saturday (4/27) My rifle was returned to me. It looks like there is a new barrel in it. This looks a lot more professionally machined than the original chamber it had. I cycled a magazine full of 38 SPL through it without any jamming too. I have included the before and after photos for comparison. Now, to get back out to a range and see how it shoots. The original chamber is bright stainless steel from the look of it. I think the repaired one is black steel. I wonder if they bored out the end of the barrel and put a sleeve plug in to repair it?

before

9c6c6c69ff351f66e279671fb40ac2c7.jpg

after

3365f9925c1a1fae72dbf64873b94bfa.jpg

10 x magnification

af4517cd103216b8a457c4ad3d7a1347.jpg

Mike

MDS Supporter
    Does it shoot 38 and 357 just fine, interchangeably or does it have to be a certain grain, like 158? Thanks

Mine shoots everything (now). I use 130 gr 38 SPL (because it's what was available) and 142 gr and 158 gr 357 mag.

Out of the box, it did have issues feeding the slightly shorter 38's. I had to do a little work on the cartridge stop and left cartridge guide with a file.

http://www.rossiusa.com/pdf/rossi_manual_M92.pdf parts 44 and 45 on page 20 of the PDF.

Here is another link to the fix-it DIYs on you tube.

https://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=6096&start=20

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Not all of these will have issues with the chamber. Mine looks fine. Not sure how common that issue is, but it's nice to know that Rossi will fix it.

Be advised that you will need to clean the chamber very well if you shoot a lot of .38 Special. The .38's leave a ring of carbon and lead in the gap ahead of the case. 357 Magnum can get stuck in the dirt ring, and the case will rip in half on ejecting. Getting that broken piece out can be entertaining.

Ngrovcam

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2016
    Florida
    Any thoughts on how these stack up
    against a JM Marlin 357, or the
    current Remlin version? One day, I will
    add a lever 357 to the stable...but, then
    there’s that pesky mortgage.

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    I wanted a leaver Rifle to add to the tribe, already have a few 38/357's hand guns on hand so the Rossi M92 would be a great option, my birthday is coming up so run it by the financial manager who gave me the thumbs up, got one in the wind for a next week delivery. Got a box of 38 spec and 357 waiting for it. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Mike

MDS Supporter
    Any thoughts on how these stack up
    against a JM Marlin 357, or the
    current Remlin version? One day, I will
    add a lever 357 to the stable...but, then
    there’s that pesky mortgage.

I have not shot mine up against any others, but since I got it back from Rossi, I have had excellent results at 25 yards, which is as far the TMGN range goes. Before the repair it was hitting the target left and low. Now it seems to be spot on.

I wanted a leaver Rifle to add to the tribe, already have a few 38/357's hand guns on hand so the Rossi M92 would be a great option, my birthday is coming up so run it by the financial manager who gave me the thumbs up, got one in the wind for a next week delivery. Got a box of 36 spec and 357 waiting for it. :rolleyes:

As DutchV said, his was good right out of the box. I'm very happy with mine.

Mike

MDS Supporter
    Although not stainless, Kentucky Gun Company currently has them for $479 shipped

They also still have the stainless one linked in post #1. I very much like my SS M 92.

95118.jpg

If anyone is wanting a stainless 357/38 SPL Rossi, they appear to be back in stock at KYGUNCO.com

Cash / Text-A-Check Price : $534.99

I paid a little less when I bought mine but that still seems like a good price. Mine seems to shoot very well and its operation is quite smooth. The fit and finish on mine is very good. No mismatched edges between the wood and the receiver, and no burrs or sharp edges on the metal parts. I had a chamber concern that Rossi fixed under warranty. I'm happy with mine.

This is from the thread I started back when I bought mine.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    In my opinion the 38/357 in a carbine is the most fun and pleasant caliber you can shoot. If you reload it is economical too.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    A .38 in a Rossi is very soft shooting. Like a .22. The steel strip on the stock transmits all the recoil however. I shot 150 rounds of .357 and my shoulder was definitely getting tired.

Mike

MDS Supporter
    ROSSI M92 CARBINE 357 MAG/38 SPL 20" STAINLESS 10RD $534.99

A .38 in a Rossi is very soft shooting. Like a .22. The steel strip on the stock transmits all the recoil however. I shot 150 rounds of .357 and my shoulder was definitely getting tired.

Try this.

https://www.lcsupply.com/Kick-Kille...MI6-r-5rfV4AIVS1qGCh3EhAdkEAQYASABEgLBDvD_BwE

I put some additional high density foam into it that I shaped to fill in the gap created by the crescent in the stock and to make the overall length of the stock a bit longer. Making it longer also helps it fit better too because the smallest one available is just a little too big for the stock.

4bbd8ec9dac2208d8ff80d850b8d568e.jpg
    23cec4dc89270b586fdd3e881a254370.jpg
    12fb40310978441322089a3bc9603faa.jpg

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    If anyone is wanting a stainless 357/38 SPL Rossi, they appear to be back in stock at KYGUNCO.com . . .

. . . This is from the thread I started back when I bought mine.

:sarcasm: "CURSES" upon you, OP and ALL who tread (post) here!!!! ;)

I've only been jonsing for one of these for DECADES but somehow, I have managed all these years - and particularly since the fateful day you OP'ed on these carbines here, on MDS.com - to "be grownup" about it and repeatedly push the notion out of my mind and relegate the purchase, further and further to the back burners …

BUT THEN THERE's THIS RECRUDESCENT and REAPPEARING THREAD - arghhhhh!

Tracking shows mine being delivered Monday … :clap::bannana::yummy::patriot:

Mike

MDS Supporter
    :sarcasm: "CURSES" upon you, OP and ALL who tread (post) here!!!! ;)

I've only been jonsing for one of these for DECADES but somehow, I have managed all these years - and particularly since the fateful day you OP'ed on these carbines here, on MDS.com - to "be grownup" about it and repeatedly push the notion out of my mind and relegate the purchase, further and further to the back burners …

BUT THEN THERE's THIS RECRUDESCENT and REAPPEARING THREAD - arghhhhh!

Tracking shows mine being delivered Monday … :clap::bannana::yummy::patriot:

Always glad to "help". :innocent0

At least you'll know some of the things to look at before you accept it upon delivery.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Ouch. Finally got out to the range and was having fun going through the first box of ammo and my joy was short lived.

Splitting cases !!!!

All ammo was factory new Federal American Eagle 38 Spl (NOT 357) 158gr lead RN ...

Initial call to Rossi said, “Send it back for repair”.

Attachments

• 73D35070-0876-43B3-BC5E-10F8BBD4D532.jpg
      73D35070-0876-43B3-BC5E-10F8BBD4D532.jpg
      78.5 KB · Views: 294

Sirex