• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joncorleone

Sep 1, 2019
    Greetings everyone,

Just recently joined the world of firearms and firearm ownership. Not much experience other than going to the range a couple of times with friends. My first experience with a handgun was shooting some Kimber 1911 .45 about 8-9 years ago. Ever since then, I have always wanted a 1911 but then never got back into shooting until recently.

Got my HQL, purchased my first handgun earlier this month. Purchased an M&P Shield (I know I know, sub compact is not the best for a first gun but honestly, I was not sure how invested I would be in firearms/shooting and the Shield was at a price that was well below what I wanted to pay).

Have been to TheMachineGunNest in Frederick and was able to shoot my friends Sig P220 Equinox (absolute beauty) and his AR-15. We also rented and fired the Barrett .50 Cal Sniper Rifle which was an amazing experience. Wish they were closer to where I live but I dont mind making the drive there to test out some of their toys.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and say hello to the community.

Last edited:

hillbilly grandpa

Jan 26, 2013
    Arnold
    You might want to check out Berwyn in Bowie or Anne Arundel Fish and Game in Annapolis as reasonably close places to shoot. PM me if you're interested in checking out either one.

Mr. B

Jul 9, 2019
    MD
    Welcome. I'm a newer member too and I think you're gonna like it here based on my experience.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome from PA![/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Thank you for having the courtesy to introduce yourself.
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Take a look at these helpful links – LOTS of amazing info!

FORUM RULES
    [/FONT]Rules are written in the stone, Break the rules and you get no bones, all you get is ridicule, laughter, a shine box, and a trip to the house of pain.
    [FONT=&quot]
    Range Etiquette and Staying Safe

Admin News and Announcements

Gun Rights and Legislation

Industry Partners

MD Shooters Firearms Map

Acronym list[/FONT]

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Welcome !

Within the context of subcompacts , the Shield 9mm is a nice shooter , that gives up very little compared to the next size catagory larger . ( It's kind of the 2inch K frame of the bottomfeeder world .)

Practice your fundimentals , but hold yourself to the same expectations as would a " normal" pistol , and you will do well .

Berwyn and AAFG are indeed fine, outstanding, very active Clubs with long histories . Albeit , with waiting lists to join, and $$ involved .

More accessible both time frame and financially , and still reasonably close to you are AGC in Mariotsville . The constituent Clubs range from totally bare bones, to highly specialized in specific shooting genre , to very active all around full service Clubs . All around active Clubs are a fine thing, and the value added is well worthwhile for the slightly higher dues .

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    Welcome from Frederick County-- TMGN is my home range... glad you had a good experience. See you around the forums--

Joncorleone

Sep 1, 2019
    Thanks everyone!

Those from around the area, which range do you usually go to? I’m close to On Target but they’re really not the best. I love going to Machine Guns Nest because the staff are friendly, they have fun choices for rentals and they have a bit more modern feel to their shop. The drive is just far as hell though.

Debating on whether I should just get a membership at On Target. I do remember one of the staff I talked to, to not buy Tulammo or Wolf branded ammo, something about they are steel ammo and it might ricochet off the back wall. Something to that extent.

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    Thanks everyone!

Those from around the area, which range do you usually go to? I’m close to On Target but they’re really not the best. I love going to Machine Guns Nest because the staff are friendly, they have fun choices for rentals and they have a bit more modern feel to their shop. The drive is just far as hell though.

Debating on whether I should just get a membership at On Target. I do remember one of the staff I talked to, to not buy Tulammo or Wolf branded ammo, something about they are steel ammo and it might ricochet off the back wall. Something to that extent.

I go to OnTarget sparingly because I'm not too big of a handgun guy. They don't allow steel-jacketed, bi-metal jacketed, or steel core ammo as it will damage the backstop or cause a fire.

I do the long haul to Myrtle Grove for rifles but am pursuing a membership at Berwyn Rod and Gun Club in Bowie. Nice facilities there, I highly recommend it.

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    Same area here as well. Welcome to the forum and madness that is gun ownership in Marylandistan. I won't complain about an M&P pistol since i have several, and love them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom