• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Does not have to be anything, let alone legal. Maryland rules bear no resemblance to logic.

Even if it was an HBAR, 14.5 " barrel is a whole other world of complicated !@# where NFA SBR rules collide with MD 29" OAL requirement.

As an aside, I have never seen a square barrel before. I have seen octagonal barrels. DO the bullets have to be square too?

Recon_D0c

May 30, 2017
    Does not have to be anything, let alone legal. Maryland rules bear no resemblance to logic.

Even if it was an HBAR, 14.5 " barrel is a whole other world of complicated !@# where NFA SBR rules collide with MD 29" OAL requirement.

As an aside, I have never seen a square barrel before. I have seen octagonal barrels. DO the bullets have to be square too?

yes the bullets are indeed square

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    My understanding of HBAR is at least one of two things must be true:
    1) Advertised/marketed as a heavy barrel
    2) Stamped as heavy barrel

If my understanding is correct, it could be a 2" diameter depleted uranium bull barrel that weighs ten pounds and if one of those conditions isn't met, it isn't an HBAR.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013

If my understanding is correct, it could be a 2" diameter depleted uranium bull barrel that weighs ten pounds and if one of those conditions isn't met, it isn't an HBAR.

I am going with this.

To be fair though, if it takes square bullets, it may not be interchangeable with other ARs, so technically (like piston driven ARs)... legal.

Just gotta pin a flash hider or brake on the barrel to make the length over 16" and good to go

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Just gotta pin a flash hider or brake on the barrel to make the length over 16" and good to go

Agreed on the length, but that doesn't change the fact that the manufacturer of the barrel does not state that it is a heavy barrel. If the manufacturer simply added a bullet point to the description that says, "heavy barrel," it would be good to go if pinned to be 16" long.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    As noted, presumably a pinned & welded muzzle device of suitable length would hypothetically be involved.

But the linked description does not invoke the magic word of " Heavy " .

This isn't supposed to make sense, but there is no logic involved.

Instead of finding an infinite number of cool barrels and pulling out your hair about them not being Maryland complient , reverse your search process . Start with the universe of bbls marked/ advertised as Heavy , then narrow down those of interest to you.

OR , the same two IP's are frequently mentioned as being capable of machining a bbl blank from Douglass, Hart, Lija, whoever , to your desired specifications.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    They mill off a ton of material, reducing the diameter and strength of the barrel, and then say the process reduces whip/movement/flexing.

Hogwash.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    Square bullets by the way, really are a thing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puckle_gun

Puckle demonstrated two configurations of the basic design: one, intended for use against Christian enemies, fired conventional round bullets, while the second, designed to be used against the Muslim Turks, fired square bullets. The square bullets were considered to be more damaging. They would, according to the patent, "convince the Turks of the benefits of Christian civilization". The weapon was also reported as able to fire shot, with each discharge containing sixteen musket balls.[7]

Since square boolits and square barrels are designed to target Muslims, ergo racist, they are obviously banned in MD.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

^^^This^^^

It's really quite simple, when you think about it.:rolleyes:

Recon_D0c

May 30, 2017
    ^^^This^^^

It's really quite simple, when you think about it.:rolleyes:

I am starting to feel that the whole hbar thing via internet forums has become speculatively cautious/afraid. IF something has the dimensions, then it has it in dimensions. If you bought two heavy fluted barrels, one advertised as heavy, the other not, there is no way the state can prosecute. fake news.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I am starting to feel that the whole hbar thing via internet forums has become speculatively cautious/afraid. IF something has the dimensions, then it has it in dimensions. If you bought two heavy fluted barrels, one advertised as heavy, the other not, there is no way the state can prosecute. fake news.

If the state based its definition of HBAR in dimensions, I'd agree with you 100%. However, this is Maryland and the laws are messed up. If you buy a barrel that does not meet the criteria and you build a gun with it, you are breaking the law. It doesn't matter if you do or don't get caught or you do or don't get prosecuted. Not fake news, Maryland reality. If you are comfortable with breaking the law, discuss it on another forum because we don't do that here.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Ignoring all of the above, the stresses and perhaps minor inaccuracies of milling a square barrel around a round hole are unknown. Even if it is a perfect job, the harmonics of a square barrel might only be known to a couple nerds at Aberdeen Proving Grounds.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013

No, this is based on direct discussions between FFLs and the State Police (and also MSI and other organizations).

For example:
    https://www.facebook.com/Hafersgunsmithing/posts/848552195162604

The guidance given by MSP is that an HBAR is defined as a AR15 that is marked HBAR on the Barrel or Receiver or is Marketed/Advertised by the Manufacturer as a HBAR Rifle (or barrel).

If you want a square barrel with square boolits, get an email that says its a "heavy barrel."

MigraineMan

Ultimate Member
    Jun 9, 2011
    Frederick County
    Cool. I already have a barrel wrench for this style!

Attachments

• Adjustable_Wrench_dorp_forged.jpg
      Adjustable_Wrench_dorp_forged.jpg
      38.1 KB · Views: 507

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV

That's my understanding as well.

My last build utilized a 20" stainless HBAR upper, the barrel isn't stamped as such but I retained the invoice from the purchase, and it clearly states "20 inch Stainless Heavy Barrel". This is also clearly noted at the vendors website, so I'm confident that meets the "advertised as HBAR" requirement. I would have preferred if it had been stamped HBAR, but it is what it is.

While I haven't encountered any "Police HBAR Checkpoints" in my travels, and I've never seen any LE agents running around shooting ranges checking paperwork or barrel stampings, but in this state IMO you are better off being prepared for any scenario where you might have to prove you are complying with the law.

Ignoring all of the above, the stresses and perhaps minor inaccuracies of milling a square barrel around a round hole are unknown. Even if it is a perfect job, the harmonics of a square barrel might only be known to a couple nerds at Aberdeen Proving Grounds.

Good point, But even if it doesn't shoot well, it would probably make a decent weatherproof bludgeon... :D

Recon_D0c

May 30, 2017
    you guys know the square boolits are a joke right? so, what is the actual penalty for having a non-hbar. I have yet to see the actual consequence

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom