• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    Ok he was convicted in 1995 served a sentence until 2000 and since then has changed his life around. Not on probation or parole just a previous felon.

You need to change title to ex-felon not on probation or parole because that changes the entire narrative!!!!!

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    You need to change title to ex-felon not on probation or parole because that changes the entire narrative!!!!!

from my read of the law, a convicted felon is prohibited from owning firearms for life. That means the situation does not change once parole is complete, even if 30 years have passed. Is there such a thing as an ex felon?

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    Once a felon, always a felon (absent some sort of expungement if applicable).

I don't think finishing probation/parole matters.

IANAL (or felon :D)

from my read of the law, a convicted felon is prohibited from owning firearms for life. That means the situation does not change once parole is complete, even if 30 years have passed. Is there such a thing as an ex felon?

If you read the original post it has nothing to do with a felon or ex-felon legally owning a firearm. It is about a felon or in this case an ex-felon living in a house with someone who owns firearms. If you are on probation in a state or one of the conditions of your probation is not to be in a household with firearms then you are in violation, but as you can read the OP stated that the person is not on probation or parole anymore so he would not be in violation.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    If you read the original post it has nothing to do with a felon or ex-felon legally owning a firearm. It is about a felon or in this case an ex-felon living in a house with someone who owns firearms. If you are on probation in a state or one of the conditions of your probation is not to be in a household with firearms then you are in violation, but as you can read the OP stated that the person is not on probation or parole anymore so he would not be in violation.

I missed that. Thanks for the clarification.

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    The OP (posted below) was about if a felon can live in a house with guns. Later posts may have changed but the OP was only about a felon living in a house with guns.

No such thing as an ex-felon. One is a felon until the day the die.

If you have guns in the house all locked up in a safe and the felon does not have access to any of them can they live in the residence with you?

superc

Jun 25, 2018
    I went through this dance in Virginia four or five years ago. It turned out the woman who was my housemate had been convicted in a Federal Court of Conspiracy to Distribute a 15 years ago while she was married to someone who sold illegal steroids via US mail. She brought packages to the Post Office for him and picked up stuff at his PO Box. That was enough. Probation with no jail time. No matter. A Felon is a Felon forever. All firearms, all ammunition, and even (under VA law) all cartridge components had to be secured in a safe ($$$) and a lock with no access to the key had to be placed on my nightstand pistol. Either that, or sell everything. It was a total pain and it can be argued it was a contributor to the break up of an otherwise very nice relationship.

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    The OP (posted below) was about if a felon can live in a house with guns. Later posts may have changed but the OP was only about a felon living in a house with guns.

No such thing as an ex-felon. One is a felon until the day the die.

If you are on probation and one of the stipulations of your probation is not to live in a household with firearms then it kinda makes a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom