• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I'm having a heck of a time finding replacement brass set screws for my RCBC dies. I've grown to like the convenience of Lee dies, but I still use the RCBS dies that I have and the brass set screws really take a beating. I'll use any set screw as long as it is the right size and type. Any help will be mucho appreciato.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    They will indeed fix you up. Sounds like you have the "newer" dies as these have the hex lockdown nut on top of the dies and brass Allen type set screws. The older dies had knurled silver colored rings instead of hex nuts, and steel set screws. Just tell them what you have and what you need, and they'll almost certainly mail your parts no charge.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Are you using them directly against the big threads? I read somewhere (maybe from RCBS :shrug:) that you're supposed to put a piece of lead shot in the hole first, then the set screw. That way, the soft, cheap and easily replaceable shot is getting mangled by the big threads (and not your set screw), and there is no chance you'll mangle the big threads either.

Also, that means you could use a steel set screw that should be readily available at a local hardware store:innocent0

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Did you call RCBS? They might send you a couple for free...

Too lazy, but I might have to. Why the hell don't they offer these on their site(yes, their site really sucks)?

They will indeed fix you up. Sounds like you have the "newer" dies as these have the hex lockdown nut on top of the dies and brass Allen type set screws. The older dies had knurled silver colored rings instead of hex nuts, and steel set screws. Just tell them what you have and what you need, and they'll almost certainly mail your parts no charge.

Thanks Unc!

Are you using them directly against the big threads? I read somewhere (maybe from RCBS :shrug:) that you're supposed to put a piece of lead shot in the hole first, then the set screw. That way, the soft, cheap and easily replaceable shot is getting mangled by the big threads (and not your set screw), and there is no chance you'll mangle the big threads either.

Also, that means you could use a steel set screw that should be readily available at a local hardware store:innocent0

I will try that. Thanks.

I just assumed I would be able to find these anywhere since they are so...abusable. I will give them a call I guess. Thanks all. :)

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City

Spot on sir. They recommend exactly this.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I'm having a heck of a time finding replacement brass set screws for my RCBC dies. I've grown to like the convenience of Lee dies, but I still use the RCBS dies that I have and the brass set screws really take a beating. I'll use any set screw as long as it is the right size and type. Any help will be mucho appreciato.

Do you have specs for the set screw? IF RCBS doesn't hook you up, there is a Fastenall store by me that probably has them.

I found set screws for my Giraud trimmer there and they had bags of 10 set screws. Much better than having to buy 50 from MSC.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Ace Hardware also has set screws. They won't be brass, but the lead shot trick will work

usa259

Mar 11, 2015
    Call RCBS, they have sent me several, along with the 223 primer puncher outer thingy. The decaper....

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    With lead shot, any setscrew will work, even from Ace.. I don't use locking rings on my Lee dies, as the o-ring does a pretty good job of keeping the locknut secure, as long as you are a little careful.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I don't use locking rings on my Lee dies, as the o-ring does a pretty good job of keeping the locknut secure, as long as you are a little careful.

That's why I've gone to Lee dies now. Plus, you can make micro adjustments without having to unlock everything everytime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom