• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    How many here actually use them and how often?

I have the Lead Sled Plus. I bought it about four years ago but never took it out of the box until last Friday. I put it together and will take it to the range ASAP. I'll use 2 25 lb. dumbbells to weigh it down.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    I use mine whenever I am sighting in a new rifle or scope, or rechecking zero. I bought mine off amazon several yrs back on one of their lightning deals.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I use mine whenever I am sighting in a new rifle or scope, or rechecking zero. I bought mine off amazon several yrs back on one of their lightning deals.

Have you ever compared the lead sled zero to your shoulder fired zero?

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I have one to help control variables when comparing reloading recipes. I was expecting to just punch loads through the same hole without having to adjust the aim after each shot. That’s not how it works. Even with a 25lb weight the thing still bounces around after each shot.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Have you ever compared the lead sled zero to your shoulder fired zero?

Precisely why I don't like lead sleds. Especially if it's used to zero a hunting rifle.

I want my cheek weld, my flinch, my trigger pull, and all those other human variables built into my zero. A lead sled is just too artificial a zero for me.

Unless the lead sled were to be taken hunting, then I'd zero in using one.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    I found that the zero really changed for my slug gun but that it makes little difference for ARs and .243. But then, those don't beat up my shoulder either so there is little reason to use the lead sled....

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I have. It's close enough with my mini 14 that 3 chicken-eatin foxes are no longer around this spring.

A lot depends on the rifle, but I tell people a lead sled is second to the last step to zeroing a rifle. Shoulder fire from a rest should be the last step.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Precisely why I don't like lead sleds. Especially if it's used to zero a hunting rifle.

I want my cheek weld, my flinch, my trigger pull, and all those other human variables built into my zero. A lead sled is just too artificial a zero for me.

Unless the lead sled were to be taken hunting, then I'd zero in using one.

:thumbsup:

This is exactly the point I was getting at. It has as much to do with barrel resonation and recoil.

Also, ever hear or read stories where somebody borrowed somebody else's rifle and couldn't hit a thing with it? The owner of the gun tries it and finds it is still dead on?

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    How many here actually use them and how often?

I have the Lead Sled Plus. I bought it about four years ago but never took it out of the box until last Friday. I put it together and will take it to the range ASAP. I'll use 2 25 lb. dumbbells to weigh it down.

I have the same one. Probably bought it the same time you bought yours. I think they were on sale at Bass Pro. I've only used it once with my Mosin Nagant to save my shoulder. They don't work too well with lever guns. The main reason I don't use it is I don't like lugging it to the range. Too much other stuff to carry.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    I had one used it at the range once and hated it . It got put on the bench and used for cleaning and mounting scopes and such , sold it a few weeks ago .

Another reason I stopped using it was I have seen them crack stocks .

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I used mine today and had a hard time getting a sight picture with the 30-06. I don't really like the stock but it's got replaceable parts so you can make it higher or lower. I decided not to use weights with it because people say that you should have recoil for the rifle to fire correctly.

I may sell it cause I really like to use just a sandbag on top of my little shooting table.

The Magpul stock really didn't help my shooting with the 30-06. I'm starting to think it may be the cheap scope the gun came with. I'll put on a better scope and try that.

If I can't get the 30-06 to shoot better I'll get a short action trigger guard and try it with my 308.

If all else fails I'll get my money back and just use the ADL as it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom