• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bean Guy

Apr 4, 2013
    Eldersburg
    I'm going to be giving a QuickBooks training class in conjunction with the Maryland Association of CPA's on November 7, 2017 at their computer training center in Columbia. The course is called "QuickBooks for Accounting Professionals". This is a hands on course and is full of tips and techniques on how to get the most out of QuickBooks. Attendees will get a book of the same name. The venue is ideal as participants can follow along with the instructor at a computer that has QuickBooks.

The flyer below has details about course highlights and how to get the lower MACPA member rate. "QuickBooks for Accounting Professionals" will be for sale at Amazon in a few weeks! This is my second QuickBooks book, the first is "QuickBooks for Contractors".

Attachments

• Flyer for QB for Accounting Professionals Course.pdf
      325.1 KB · Views: 155

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    Is there a special quick books class for sarcastic Engineers and quantum physics is involved?

sorry had do do it... :rolleyes:

ROBAR35

Living the farm life
    May 20, 2010
    Howard Co.
    Bought your book for Contractors and love it. How do you recommend entering materials bought with a credit card for job costing purposes?

Bean Guy

Apr 4, 2013
    Eldersburg
    Thanks for the kind words on the book. If the below is Greek to you give me a call and we can discuss it - 443-487-7733

There are a few ways to record credit card transactions. All the approaches can allocate costs to jobs.

For the detail oriented, each charge is entered in the Banking section, using the Enter Credit Card Transactions screen. This creates a job cost entry and sets up the liability for the credit card which is paid in a later step. Bookkeepers and accountants like this approach as they can compare the credit card bill with the details in QB. Can be a lot of work if you have lots of transactions, although you can download the details from the credit card company. With the download approach you still have to go through the charges and allocate the charges to jobs.

For those that want to summarize the credit card bill outside of QuickBooks and just enter totals by jobs, this approach can be done in the Vendor section(where you would pay the bill in another step) or in the Banking section under Write Checks.

As I said before, any of the approaches allow you to do job costing. Remember you'll need to pick a job in the "Customer:Job" field to make it work.

denimdan85

Aug 12, 2014
    Hanover, PA
    OP,

I am starting my own business but have absolutely no idea when it comes to Quickbooks. I will be operating a service / sales company. Do you have any suggestions on a good book to get started with?

Thanks.

Bean Guy

Apr 4, 2013
    Eldersburg
    First, congrats on starting your own business! Hopefully you've got it well thought out and can get customers right out of the gate. Getting paying customers is always high on the list and where you'll want to focus your efforts.

Business owners have two ways to go when setting up QuickBooks - I could certainly scour the internet and find a "how to" book that would work for the sales and service business, I don't know any offhand but I'm sure they're out there. You'd get the book, read it cover to cover(Oh sure) and get a copy of QuickBooks and off you go. And maybe you could muddle through. Except that after a while the financial statements would make no sense and then you'd realize, O crap, I didn't know I had to bill sales taxes on product, and how on earth does QuickBooks do that? How do I get my logo on my invoices? How do I ...... ?

The other way to go is to get help before you start. You lay out what you want to do, you get someone that knows QuickBooks to set it up, show you how to process basic transactions and be available for questions. QuickBooks set up is not a do it yourself proposition unless you're an accountant. We do this all the time, and it always cost more when we have to fix it then when we set it up.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Bought your book for Contractors and love it. How do you recommend entering materials bought with a credit card for job costing purposes?

I do it this way:

Everyone who has a company CC has to enter a job name on the receipt when they turn them in every week.

When I get the CC bill I take those receipts and write the job next to each entry and in the case of fuel receipts which vehicle.

Then when I enter the bill in QB I enter in the cost on each line and charge it to the job on the far right side of the entry.

With 200+ line items on every statement it's a complete PIA and the absolute worst thing I have to do every month but there is no easy way to do it.

I do go through and lump all the similar charges (like parking) from several employees for the same job but it's still a bit of work.

Bean Guy

Apr 4, 2013
    Eldersburg
    If it was me I'd get a download in Excel from the credit card company, tag each charge with a job name, then either sort and subtotal or do a pivot table to get totals. Then I'd just enter the totals. If you have the "Accountants" version of QB you could even cut and paste the totals into QB.

Pivot tables in Excel are pretty easy to learn, and best described as sorting and subtotaling on steroids

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom