Best way to get Bucks out during the day?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    I know the picture sucks, but here on Kent Island (that is as close to a geographic location as I will give), I watched 4 bucks for the past two weeks out eating in a soybean field. I have watched them go from velvet to none. The smallest is a tall 6 point. The largest is 10 (guess). I took a pic today with my phone but the zoom is not good. So, your answer is to plant a soybean field ;)

Attachments

• photo.jpg
      photo.jpg
      63.6 KB · Views: 108

MunkMaster

Aug 9, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    i am building a feeder and going to time it just for daytime. i just built a house on this property that has been untouched and un-hunted for many years. i have a 160 yard lane that is an old farming road that leads into a family farm field that we rent out to the local farmer. so i have a food plot 80 yards down the road and the corn field at the end. i am afraid if i take down a doe now the buck wont come back.(we just got approved for a crop damage permit so i can hunt now)

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    i am building a feeder and going to time it just for daytime. i just built a house on this property that has been untouched and un-hunted for many years. i have a 160 yard lane that is an old farming road that leads into a family farm field that we rent out to the local farmer. so i have a food plot 80 yards down the road and the corn field at the end. i am afraid if i take down a doe now the buck wont come back.(we just got approved for a crop damage permit so i can hunt now)

deer down is a deer down I wouldn't worry about a buck..you prob aren't even seeing 1/10th of the deer around you...believe me! I saw no less than 14 different bucks in an area...ranging from spikes to huge 8pts...I shot a few does and more showed up along with bucks....that's just whitetails in MD...get a game cam it will show you how many are around...

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Last season I hunted a property new to me during late season and every morning I went in WELL before sunrise, and I kept spooking them out of a bed before I could even get to the stand. I know noise was my problem but it seemed like they were laying down pretty early. Any advise?

Do huh ? You went in well before Sunrise... They were laying down pretty early ?

You've lost me, but, it sounds like you think the Deer were out running all night and went to bed at 4AM. I think you have a misunderstanding of how Deer sleep. They are not day time animals, They are not night time animals. They are both. The are like cats and dogs. They sleep for a few hours and go eat, then they go back to bed and then go eat again. Deer are not like humans that go to bed at 9:00 PM and wake up at 6:30 AM everyday.

What I mean is, when you say they are "laying down pretty early", what you should be saying is, they just went to bed and I woke them up. I can only pray I understand what you mean by your comment.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head

Timing a feeder for daytime spreading does not mean that Deer is gonna come a runnin' to the dinner bell sound of the spreader plate. If you sling corn at a certain time during the day and that Buck is a "come out just after dark" nature nut, then the tree rats and birds will eat most of your investment before Bucky even thinks about looking for food that evening.

My personal opinion is, the worst time to spread corn with an auto feeder is during the day. Time it to go off right about sunrise and right about sunset. This ensures three things, you are spreading closer to the Deers feeding time, you are feeding closer to your legal hunting time, and you're not feeding everything else during the day.

That Buck is only going to come out in the daylight 10 times a year and 9 of those are during the Rut.

Now the number one top-selling best bet you can offer that Buck is to apply some doe in heat lure to scent pads or tampons near and during the rut and hang only one ( ONE. not 10 ) in a tree branch near your feeder. That Buck will get to thinking there's a babe coming in here to eat and the game plan is to ambush him while he's trying to ambush "her". When he doesn't see her during the night he will start being there all day waiting.

Also using some light scent of Deer cover scent, not a lure, will keep the Deer really local to the feeder, they have it all, other deer and food.

Most Deer hunters lack the ability to "think like a Deer" like they should. They think like animal trainers and that Deer has no concept of what a "feeder" is or what its purpose is, he only knows there's some sort of food in that spot on a regular basis day and night. You ARE NOT going to train a Deer to come to a certain spot at a certain time with any amount of praying or timing. Your only bet is to be there when he decides he will be there. That's like throwing darts in the dark. If we could train Deer to be at a certain spot at a certain time we'd all have 20 deer in the freezer by the end of the first week of firearms season.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head

Sad abuse of the system. I can rant on this subject for a long time. I have personal experience with a farmer and a CDP and Oh how my blood has boiled over CDP issues in the past few years.

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    Timing a feeder for daytime spreading does not mean that Deer is gonna come a runnin' to the dinner bell sound of the spreader plate. If you sling corn at a certain time during the day and that Buck is a "come out just after dark" nature nut, then the tree rats and birds will eat most of your investment before Bucky even thinks about looking for food that evening.

My personal opinion is, the worst time to spread corn with an auto feeder is during the day. Time it to go off right about sunrise and right about sunset. This ensures three things, you are spreading closer to the Deers feeding time, you are feeding closer to your legal hunting time, and you're not feeding everything else during the day.

That Buck is only going to come out in the daylight 10 times a year and 9 of those are during the Rut.

Now the number one top-selling best bet you can offer that Buck is to apply some doe in heat lure to scent pads or tampons near and during the rut and hang only one ( ONE. not 10 ) in a tree branch near your feeder. That Buck will get to thinking there's a babe coming in here to eat and the game plan is to ambush him while he's trying to ambush "her". When he doesn't see her during the night he will start being there all day waiting.

Also using some light scent of Deer cover scent, not a lure, will keep the Deer really local to the feeder, they have it all, other deer and food.

Most Deer hunters lack the ability to "think like a Deer" like they should. They think like animal trainers and that Deer has no concept of what a "feeder" is or what its purpose is, he only knows there's some sort of food in that spot on a regular basis day and night. You ARE NOT going to train a Deer to come to a certain spot at a certain time with any amount of praying or timing. Your only bet is to be there when he decides he will be there. That's like throwing darts in the dark. If we could train Deer to be at a certain spot at a certain time we'd all have 20 deer in the freezer by the end of the first week of firearms season.

Best advice right there.

If you want to kill the buck hunt where the does are during the rut.

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    I like rattlin antler's Oct. 21 on...come Nov. 13 --- be prepared for a running shot --- with the bad boy probably chasing a doe all over God's creation.

Or...you can try the slingshot method. Go to a place overlooking the bucks hideout, and launch some slingshot balls into the bucks cover. Sooner or later...he'll get antsy --- and spook --- just be on the right escape trail when he splits.

Cheers,

Erno

MunkMaster

Aug 9, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    great advice thank you.
    as for the damage permit the farmer is happy we got one because of how much they destroy each year. we have always owned the land but just recently built a house on the property

planktonadbc

Jun 20, 2013
    Harpers Ferry
    Best advice right there.

+1 to SOMDSHOOT post above. In PA a family member had some wooded acreage with a creek and he had a salt lick most the year. A farmer was nearby 1-2 miles, it kept the deer local. I joking called it Hotel California :-) I guess thus is a hunting over bait issue .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom